Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Welp...

My daughter is going to want to watch me play this again. Good luck with this, it can be challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also, between when I played and watching 2 or 3 other people play or stream it, I never saw that interaction with the big door, I've only seen [Modnote: Tiny spoiler but still a spoiler]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The thing is that we're spoiled by 30 years of osmosis of how to deal with Zelda 1. Back in the day without a manual? How'd you know to burn specific bushes? Where'd you use the flute? Not so much for OG Zelda but without manuals good luck finding out how to do particular commands that we'd take for granted now like lock-on or parry/deflecting.

That's why the manual is so important... and why its so infuriating playing blind that it doesn't come in order.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Strangely enough the one boss I had the least issue with is the one that you're having the most problems with. The Siege engine was a pain in the neck to keep behind and do damage to its weak point and the Garden Knight just seemed to have my number for some reason. This guy seemed to be a pretty slow methodical fight I ground down.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Of all the "what now?" the game gives this didn't seem to me to be the worst of it. I guess since I really can't stand the Tunic language tools in how to translate it I won't spoilertext the reasoning for it and just wait til next video to explain my reasoning.

But I will say that I think that with how things have progressed so far, I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't figured out... well maybe not the actual next step but there was an intuitive place to check for a change.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I looked up speed run strats and found extremely forbidden tech.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

...there's a shop there? huh.

How I dealt with the boss rush was: do anything but the fairy swarm first. Usually the skeleton horde... know what works great on the undead in movies? a shotgun.

The rest of the solution was the secret sauce I mentioned earlier... but item spam does very well apparently.

Also to reinforce what cant cook creole bream said, don't offscreen this stuff, I can give one good reason: when I played there was one item that never seemed to take, I think it was the strength grave. I'd go there, "pick" up the prize and then leave, but it didnt' actually collect. So I went back 2-3 more times to actually get it. At the very least if you get the similar bug you'll have video footage of what betrayed you.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 28, 2023

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So you found the "gently caress this I just want to enjoy the game and not deal with bosses with way too much health" button. It's on one of the manual pages, I think it's (ice dagger icon) + (magic rod icon) =? to encourage you to try it. Definitely better than the extremely expensive and slow windup time of the dagger, even if it loses the AOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

that might be something else, or maybe I was thinking of that margin note... that's also a thing, at least for one required secret.

I think the Librarian speedrun strat uses the grapple too. It at least requires the alluring skull fake fox aggro item.