Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

emSparkly posted:

I'm a phone bitch for a different ISP and I will tell you right now, never swear at us please. Yeah we get that you're pissed at stuff that's out of our control, but we're still the ones that have to hear it, and the CEO never will. Even when the recordings get reviewed, it's just another department of mules who compare our verbage to the script and grade it accordingly.

Does your employer allow a way out of situations like this that doesn’t involve either the client accepting being ripped off or you being reprimanded? If so, what’s the magic phrase that lets that happen?

The most frustrating part of this recent Xfinity experience for me was that the whole thing seemed to be set up to weaponize my empathy for the people on the other end of the line. Every time I showed consideration and respect it was actively exploited by the script to keep me in the sales funnel. It was especially weird. It felt bad. I wish I could have found a way out of the funnel that didn’t involve violently derailing it and likely causing someone to get a write-up.

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Xfinity asked me to take a survey about their lovely, horrible phone system, so I left a giga extremely profanity laced tirade after having to deal with the shittiest, most labyrinthine phone tree for an hour.

The manager of the local branch called me up meekly and tried to help. They asked if they could use my ranting message as an example for training sessions in the future. I said sure, go nuts, and suck mine too.

So somewhere out there, people are being played my message that screams “THIS TRASH PHONE TREE SYSTEM IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF DOG poo poo, I WANT TO TALK TO A loving HUMAN, XFINITY CAN SUCK MY rear end, IT TAKES 10 MINUTES TO GET THROUGH THIS poo poo…” etc etc and being asked what they should do if a customer leaves a message like that.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

They literally have a call center in my town in Michigan and I personally know people who work there. They aren't the people that deal with billing poo poo, though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

I left a giga extremely profanity laced tirade after having to deal with the shittiest, most labyrinthine phone tree for an hour.

The amount of work the phone system does to try and juke you out of talking to an actual person to talk to is incredible.

God help you if you ever need any help outside of "internet no work" or "me pay bill?".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When we moved, the new neighborhood had just gotten Optimum fiber (Altice? I dunno which is the parent company or whatever)

They offered me $79.99 for gigabit fiber and made a big thing about how I'm locked into that price for as long as I subscribe and wouldn't you know it, 3 years later and my bill is still the same +/- $3 or so on taxes

ISPs are evil but TBQH I have no personal complaints about the service I get

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dick Fontaine posted:

Does your employer allow a way out of situations like this that doesn’t involve either the client accepting being ripped off or you being reprimanded? If so, what’s the magic phrase that lets that happen?

The most frustrating part of this recent Xfinity experience for me was that the whole thing seemed to be set up to weaponize my empathy for the people on the other end of the line. Every time I showed consideration and respect it was actively exploited by the script to keep me in the sales funnel. It was especially weird. It felt bad. I wish I could have found a way out of the funnel that didn’t involve violently derailing it and likely causing someone to get a write-up.

Agreed that this is the worst part, the idea that the employee's bonus or pay or even their job is on the line because of something that you might say while trying to receive your service package. A simple "no" or a 4 instead of 5 stars on something not related to their spiel like audio quality could get them in trouble. Who the gently caress knows if they'll get reprimanded if they don't successfully sell me this package, they aren't allowed to tell me, if they send an SOS in morse code I'm sure telcom will catch their counter-op.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xfinity’s gigabit service here is still something like 20mbit upstream which is laughable when I get full gigabit both ways with AT&T for about the same price ($60/mo).

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

olives black posted:

also they're virtually a monopoly atp. whatever negative feedback you're giving is just being used as a cudgel to beat individual employees over the head. don't leave anything less than a five-star review unless your agent really loving sucked for reasons outside of the script that they force them to adhere to

olives black posted:

lol no they loving didn't

Yes they did. This resulted in the Xfinity rebranding as well as a rollout of the NetPromoter rating system you’re talking about in the above quote there. They had literally no idea how bad it was and were totally blindsided. (Yes really)

emSparkly posted:

I'm a phone bitch for a different ISP and I will tell you right now, never swear at us please. Yeah we get that you're pissed at stuff that's out of our control, but we're still the ones that have to hear it, and the CEO never will. Even when the recordings get reviewed, it's just another department of mules who compare our verbage to the script and grade it accordingly.

If you cuss at Comcast employees it gets placed in your permanent record in the form of a time series database. If you call Comcast 10 years later the first thing the tech will see is that you called someone a fuckdick on September 12, 2012. I’m not even kidding.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Internet Old One posted:

If you cuss at Comcast employees it gets placed in your permanent record in the form of a time series database. If you call Comcast 10 years later the first thing the tech will see is that you called someone a fuckdick on September 12, 2012. I’m not even kidding.

this appears to be a net-good agent-positive thing IMO. There should always be at least some acknowledgment that customers can be shitheads

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Don't know about other ISP's but I assume definitely, Spectrum starts you out at introductory rate, which put me at around 150mbps for $40, but every year after the initial plan it goes up $20. After paying $80 for Internet and a stupid phone that only FOP's call and ask for money, my wife who works for a major CC, spent over 2 hours on the phone working these fuckers who kept pushing cable channels, Spectrum streaming service, keep the phone it's basically free. But after that time, we got a nice rep who set us up with Spectrum 400 and no phone for $45 a month.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dick Fontaine posted:

Finally I get high up enough in the chain for someone to hang up on me.

This got me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Peggy Edson posted:

lmao if you're stupid enough to rent a modem from the telco

I did for a few months then they changed their policy and just gave it to me, *tens* of dollars saved SMART GUY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Back when I was on Comcast some ~5 years ago, my house regularly got warnings for suspicious upload activity. I would livestream, which was around 8 Mbps back then. Nowadays you can go up to like... 50 Mbps before YouTube gets mad at you (Twitch is still capped at 8). I wonder what kind of angry letters we'd get now.

Not that streaming on Comcast ever actually worked or would work now. I had to pull my modem at least once a stream, it became a running gag.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

kalel posted:

this appears to be a net-good agent-positive thing IMO. There should always be at least some acknowledgment that customers can be shitheads

Yeah but on the flip side Comcast could simply not suck as a place for low level employees and customers.

They rolled out NPS to address their lack of insight but the guy who outsourced support to the lowest bidder on the planet surely kept an eye on what was going on and never said anything. He probably got a respectable boat sized bonus the year before they had to gut everything. He probably still has a nice office where he proudly displays some award he got for loving everything up so royally they had to rename a whole OU in shame.

I had 2 comcast techs in my house and they were both very polite and concerned about their scores. I still had to have an electrician come in and redo my house properly and he had to spend a whole afternoon so I can’t see how they’re supposed to do a good job while competing with people who don’t.

The only thing I can say is that they’re not much different than any other major corporation I’ve consulted for. If you look there’s always a department full of low level workers getting ground into grease for the machine and a bunch of ticketing queues and report systems in place so decision makers never have to see it happening.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

They literally have a call center in my town in Michigan and I personally know people who work there. They aren't the people that deal with billing poo poo, though.

Fine, take it as hyperbole. My poo poo goes down all the loving time and I never get them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My experience with Comcast re US-based support is that if you answer “no” to the “would you be willing to take a short survey after this call” then you get off-shore. If you answer yes to taking the survey you get a US rep.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Toxic Mental posted:

Xfinity asked me to take a survey about their lovely, horrible phone system, so I left a giga extremely profanity laced tirade after having to deal with the shittiest, most labyrinthine phone tree for an hour.

The manager of the local branch called me up meekly and tried to help. They asked if they could use my ranting message as an example for training sessions in the future. I said sure, go nuts, and suck mine too.

So somewhere out there, people are being played my message that screams “THIS TRASH PHONE TREE SYSTEM IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF DOG poo poo, I WANT TO TALK TO A loving HUMAN, XFINITY CAN SUCK MY rear end, IT TAKES 10 MINUTES TO GET THROUGH THIS poo poo…” etc etc and being asked what they should do if a customer leaves a message like that.
:lmao: Nice.

Xfinity/comcast is such trash. I had to sign up for it again because the only alternative in my area is DSL which tops out at about 1 Mbps which is nowhere near enough for the age of video conferencing and multiple streaming devices. Ever since I signed up for Xfinity my phone has been getting spam calls. Weird coincidence I'm sure.

Their sign-up pricing is deliberately setup to intimidate you into spending as much as you can afford. All the speeds they offer are "Up to X" so it's unclear what you will actually get, but GOD HELP YOU if you ever try to change plans. They will charge you a fixed $10/mo fee in addition to your regular rate in perpetuity. Meaning if you sign up for the cheapest $30/100 Mbps plan at and upgrade to the $35/200 Mbps later, you are paying $45/mo for 200 Mbps. It's all to scare you into paying more. I signed up for the deadass cheapest 100 Mbps plan and they upgraded me to 200 Mbps without charging me extra.

In economics we call this practice "price discrimination." A company is selectively charging customers as much as they can afford to pay. Give us as much money as you can reasonably afford or else you'll be stuck with slow internet and unable to upgrade or cancel our lovely service. Xfinity also took 20 goddamn days to get their service installed in my area, and still had the audacity to bill me for the full month. gently caress Xfinity/comcast.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I tried to bring my att into my new house. Paying $80 for thee equivalent of 4 Mbps. Swap to Xfinity and book we are at a 600MB for the same price.

Hate em but no other viable options other than paying ATT like 300 bucks for 200MBps

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
This is literally every conversation with the automated system.

"Hi welcome to Xfinity. What can I help you with today?"

"I need to speak with someone."

"Okay. I can help you with that. Just tell me what the problem is."

"No. I just want to talk to someone."

"JUST LET ME loving TALK TO SOMEONE YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo SYSTEM I DON'T THINK YOU'LL UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE EXPOSED UNDERGROUND WIRES YOU FUCKERS NEED TO COME AND FIX' IS IN YOUR LAUNDRY LIST OF STUPID PHRASES YOU ARE LISTENING FOR SO JUST GET SOMEONE ON THE loving LINE!"

"We are connecting you to a customer service agent now."

Works like magic.

Beefed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 28, 2022

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Cumblast/Shitfinity/whatever they rebrand to in 5 years is a privately-held for-profit company that has a virtual monopoly in many areas. All of this will continue until they are seized and turned into a publicly owned utility.

olives black fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 27, 2022

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The solution to Comcast's hellish phone support is to never call them, but to text and have them call you. The secret phrase is "on it"

The monopoly part will require competition or revolution tho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As far as I can tell, all the cable companies around me are colluding now. They used to have different plans and prices but now they are all the same. There are no deals. The agents are powerless to even work with you.

Me: I don't want to pay a million dollars a month

Them: what about $999,999.

Me: No. Don't you want my money? If you don't give me a better price I'm just gonna pay for this small simple plan.

Them: can't do it, all or nothing baby.

Me: Supervisor.

Themsupervisor: Say same thing

And on and on. I just don't get why they don't want my money.

gently caress the US and gently caress cable monopolies. Anti-consumer BS. I just want one loving cable channel. Just one. But I have to pay for 140 others for that one so I won't and just have internet for less than half the price of all the other poo poo.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

olives black posted:

Cumblast/Shitfinity

:haibrower:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Cable monopolies blow, but it loving kills me when people call in and tell me "you've got a monopoly in this area and I would switch if I could."

Dude, no. You live in a relatively well populated town in Ohio. Spectrum and Comcast would be more than eager to rip your rear end off. Go ahead. See how well they treat you.

Waltzing Along posted:

As far as I can tell, all the cable companies around me are colluding now. They used to have different plans and prices but now they are all the same. There are no deals. The agents are powerless to even work with you.

:capitalism:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

emSparkly posted:

Cable monopolies blow, but it loving kills me when people call in and tell me "you've got a monopoly in this area and I would switch if I could."

Dude, no. You live in a relatively well populated town in Ohio. Spectrum and Comcast would be more than eager to rip your rear end off. Go ahead. See how well they treat you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I liked CenturyLink a lot. They had this weird vdsl thing that plugged into a phone line but since the fiber box was literally right outside my apartment I got incredible speeds for 30 a month

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Believe me I would use CenturyLink in a heartbeat as I used to have them, paid a good price, no downtime on Internet but the place I moved to it is at best 20mbps in comparison to Xfinity's 1000mbps however I think they are installing new fiber optics in the area so hopefully I can tell Xfinity to shove it soon.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My Comcast stories;

I was moving and saw a program they had to have your internet ready to go by your move date. I gave them a month or so notice of my move date and it took almost 2 weeks after I moved for them to get me hooked up.

I was changing careers and hit some hard times and not much work. I knew I would no longer be able to afford the luxury of internet until a few paychecks came in as my savings were tapped so I canceled service. I was on autopay so I canceled that and told them I couldn't afford it for a month or 2, cancel it all.

They proceeded to charge me another month and overdraft me and told me that canceling autopay could take up to 8-24 days to process. I told them a "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar story" and was quite irate.

Not Comcast related but when I lived in Michigan the Midwest got billions of dollars of federal money to expand rural internet access, as far as I/others could tell nothing improved that decade and the companies just pocketed the money and shrugged.

E: I have been using wow for years now and am quite happy with them (wide open west)

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah they really put you through the "harass a call center guy" gauntlet. Sorry OP. I know this rage well, and that point about weaponising your empathy is well-made.

I also have Xfinity right now, but my apartment complex has some poo poo called Giga Monster or something equally ludicrous. I don't think I'd care much if my upload speed wasn't absolute dogshit, so I'll probably make the switch soon, but I'm loathing the hoops in advance.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

My buddy and I got century link when we rented a house together, and the service was good but they had the worlds worst customer service. They kept charging us for some bundle that included dish, which we didn't want, so since he worked from home he would have to sit on the phone once a month and explain the whole thing to them for an hour or more.

Hilariously, his job ended up getting some contract to do a bunch of review and re-training of CenturyLink's customer service since even the company had to admit how awful they were at it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I worked in enterprise telecom back office for a smaller national carrier that was eaten up by Windstream between 2010 and 2015. The old carrier was known for our really good customer service along with a really positive employee-centric culture. Windstream’s culture is so unbelievably toxic that it pervaded the whole company almost overnight. Like I remember there was a large round of layoffs followed the next day by the CEO putting a blog post up on the intranet about how he struggled with the layoff decision during his loving vacation in France.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A Verizon rep once gave me a free recurring TB of data per month to my family plan that normally had 8GB for simply inquiring about the actual unlimited data plan but declining it

That person fuckin rules and I took the survey

Cumblast/Shitfinity can suck my greasy rear end in a top hat though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Smugworth posted:

A Verizon rep once gave me a free recurring TB of data per month to my family plan that normally had 8GB for simply inquiring about the actual unlimited data plan but declining it

That person fuckin rules and I took the survey

Cumblast/Shitfinity can suck my greasy rear end in a top hat though

a thing I love is when you make things extremely simple for them and they won't budge anyway, like when we switched from VZN to AT&T for cell plan and the verizon rep said "is there anything we can do to keep your business" and I said "drop our bill from $200 to $160, which is what AT&T is offering and literally the only reason we're switching" and he put me on hold and then a supervisor told me they couldn't do it

a less fun thing is when despite being perfectly clear, they ignore you and plow ahead anyway, which is why I had to sit through several minutes of the supervisor offering other minor freebies and explaining how VZN's coverage is better and faster than AT&T, before I could successfully close the account

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
We're currently paying for Xfinity's superfast internet, which has a listed speed of up to 800 mbps. Speedtest says we're somewhere between 50-60 mbps. If I downgrade to a plan that's 200 mbps, do they just throttle the poo poo out of it or will I still be getting 50-60 mbps? I'm looking at other providers but nothing else is available at my address from what I can tell.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Dick Fontaine posted:

15 minutes later the original correct offer pops up in my inbox. I follow the link and everything works at the correct price.

WTF Xfinity? You’re just supposed to be there so I can not think about you while I post and download porn. Imagine working there. Just a pure and absolute hell. Like Pentex but with none of the perks.

Yup, that's exactly what it's like dealing with anything Comcast/Xfinity. Several times I could barely ever get a chance to talk to a human, so I was surprised you were able to do that. So much time wasted..

Now I'm on Astound for a 1/4 the price with a 500mbps plan. :clint:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love Comcast Xfinity, love Comcast products and services!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
ATT sent me an invite for home wireless internet from them, which I was a bit interested in because I didn't want to deal with Comcast. I assumed it was just going to be something small, like a hotspot inside the house or something. Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZYxp09kIBI

It was so big that part of me was assuming it was going to act as a neighborhood wi-fi access point for anyone with ATT.

edit: I"m not a rural customer, but apparently they killed DSL in my region and hadn't upgraded the area to Uverse.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 15, 2022

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

JediTalentAgent posted:

ATT sent me an invite for home wireless internet from them, which I was a bit interested in because I didn't want to deal with Comcast. I assumed it was just going to be something small, like a hotspot inside the house or something. Nope.

It was so big that part of me was assuming it was going to act as a neighborhood wi-fi access point for anyone with ATT.

edit: I"m not a rural customer, but apparently they killed DSL in my region and hadn't upgraded the area to Uverse.

"....of at least 10mbps"

Woah... slow down there cowboy. That is much too fast for my grandma to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fixed wireless needs line of sight and it’s slow as hell and since it’s piggybacking on the nearest cell tower you’re gonna get hosed even more during peak times. I guess if you’re out in the middle of nowhere without another option it’s better than nothing but don’t do it if you’ve got another option.