Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know a handful of people continued on to Dragon Quest 2 after beating 1 for Game Club and I've been running through the series over the last couple years, getting freshly obsessed about a month and a half ago when I got back to 6 after a break, so I thought we could use a thread for the series.

I've been going through the series in order off-and-on since 2020, starting with the first one; I just finished 7 the other day and am early in 8 where I've just met Jessica and did her quest in the tower, hoping she joins the party soon but I just made it to the port town after that part so we'll see. I've also got a bunch of spin-offs on-deck, still need to finish Builders 2 at some point (and will probably replay DQ2 beforehand even though there doesn't seem to be too much of a plot connection aside from a shared bad guy organization and whatever's going on with Malroth) and I've got both of the musou games as well as a bunch of the Monsters games and Rocket Slime loaded on my Steam Deck's emulators. I'm fully expecting this Dragon Quest project to last well into next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nice now I’ll still have a place to brag when I finally beat the game with 0 deaths.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dragon Quest ftmfw. I played through 4-6 on DS last summer, and then started 9 but never beat it. Playing 1 for game club got me back in the spirit, I’m going through 2 now and I feel like starting new runs of 7 (which I never beat) and 8 (which I haven’t played in quite a while)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

count me as a DQ convert thanks to IZGC. really wanna start 2 once the holiday weekend is over, tho i guess there's a bit more bullshit puzzle-solving involved?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I know a handful of people continued on to Dragon Quest 2 after beating 1 for Game Club and I've been running through the series over the last couple years, getting freshly obsessed about a month and a half ago when I got back to 6 after a break, so I thought we could use a thread for the series.

I've been going through the series in order off-and-on since 2020, starting with the first one; I just finished 7 the other day and am early in 8 where I've just met Jessica and did her quest in the tower, hoping she joins the party soon but I just made it to the port town after that part so we'll see. I've also got a bunch of spin-offs on-deck, still need to finish Builders 2 at some point (and will probably replay DQ2 beforehand even though there doesn't seem to be too much of a plot connection aside from a shared bad guy organization and whatever's going on with Malroth) and I've got both of the musou games as well as a bunch of the Monsters games and Rocket Slime loaded on my Steam Deck's emulators. I'm fully expecting this Dragon Quest project to last well into next year.

I have only played dq1 in the main series, but rocket slime is one of my favorite games ever made.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Nearing the end of DQ2 GBC, but I have the feeling I have a lot of leveling left in my future as the princess is only level 15 lol.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I started DQ2 last night, it's cool to see how much they added after just 1 generation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

I started DQ2 last night, it's cool to see how much they added after just 1 generation

It came out only 8 months after DQ1, it’s nuts

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Treasures comes out in like a week or two and I'll probably be nabbing it Day 1 because I'm a sucker for 3d platforming and marrying it with monster catching and DQ mechanics is pretty much laser focused to appeal to me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Treasures comes out in like a week or two and I'll probably be nabbing it Day 1 because I'm a sucker for 3d platforming and marrying it with monster catching and DQ mechanics is pretty much laser focused to appeal to me.

same on all counts, super fuckin pumped

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It came out only 8 months after DQ1, it’s nuts

And then another 13 months for DQ3, absolutely nuts pace for game making

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

the jump from 1 to 2 is impressive, the jump from 2 to 3 is indescribable

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Treasures is looking fantastic

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I've only played 11 but it was one of the best games I've ever played period. wondering when more info on 12 will drop

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nutmeg posted:

I've only played 11 but it was one of the best games I've ever played period. wondering when more info on 12 will drop

:yeah:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Nutmeg posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I also played 3 on the gameboy color but I mashed through the menus that the priests’ “surely you jest!” Line when you try to rez someone who isn’t dead is burned into my brain

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I've only played the first due to IZGC. Got a ton of long games in progress so I'm hesitant to pick up another one but I'm gonna be starting DQ2 as soon as I finish one. First game rules and I'm excited since imps speak so highly of the series

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

super fuckin pumped for people to get to 3, 1 and 2 are obviously good but 3s magical

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

super fuckin pumped for people to get to 3, 1 and 2 are obviously good but 3s magical

3 is the only one I haven’t played any of (except for 10) but I’m kinda waiting for the new remake

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I played 1-3 on GBC way back when. I have 7 and 8 ready to go but there're a few other RPGs to clear before them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Probably gonna play 3 on GBC but the remake does look phenomenal. The cover for the GBC version is awesome

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

5 3 11 8 4 1 7 9 6 2 10

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

11 8 5 3 1 7 4 9 6 2 10

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Of the ones I’ve beaten:

11 = 5 > 8 > 4 > 1 > 6

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only played through 5 for the first time ever a few years ago and it instantly became one of my favorite jrpgs

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1592430390568194049

https://twitter.com/ryorca/status/1593065556894441472

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i want that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

i want that

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't gotten a single round on a liquid metal slime in 2 and I've seen like 20 of them

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i want that

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

That's so cool.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1592782461821652992
oh my god

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lol excellent

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mbt posted:

5 3 11 8 4 1 7 9 6 2 10

Fungah! posted:

11 8 5 3 1 7 4 9 6 2 10

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Of the ones I’ve beaten:

11 = 5 > 8 > 4 > 1 > 6

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Is 6 bad or is it just ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I've played and beaten most of them including most of the spin offs even the ones that are terrible english fantranslations, except 10 which apparently will never be released here even though there is an offline version. gently caress YOU SQUARE ENIX!!!