Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted:

love the trick the game pulls when you solve the first few quests and open up that cave, treasure chest in your face w the world map in it, and you see youve just completed a baby tutorial island surrounded by continents

This is one of the coolest things a game can do imo, like Elden Ring's map borders just growing comedically larger and larger every time you explore or have a warp teaser visit to somewhere distant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Love the social commentary in DQ3. The king of Portugal is mad for Indian pepper, the Roman emperor abdicates so he can bet on monster fights all day, the Bolivians are ruled by a maneating troll in disguise, uh there's probably more.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Love the social commentary in DQ3. The king of Portugal is mad for Indian pepper, the Roman emperor abdicates so he can bet on monster fights all day, the Bolivians are ruled by a maneating troll in disguise, uh there's probably more.

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

whenever it comes out, some IK needs to make the IZ contest an exercise in how many fish you can catch doing an in-depth thinkpiece in one of the political forums about how NewTown is a commentary on american capitalism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

QCS revived to deal with the arguments in D&D over whether "the merchant" is biden, obama or clinton. imp zone peacefully sitting on the sidelines because nobody will even give us banners to waive.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The Aliahan Method describes how the land fell into anarchy after four colonists assassinated the rightful Archfiend in his mountain castle of horrors then jumped into a big loving pit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the pyramid dungeon is a reminder that theyre not just gonna straight port the game w pretty graphics lol. oh no the chest is a mimic! this is a hopeless team wipe you cant run away from, game over

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i think i'm gonna start DQIII soon. SNES port

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

welcome posted:

Australia is a big toilet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

imagining an alternate universe in which an S tier I.p Zone poster chose "Kandar" as their user.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tmfc posted:

i think i'm gonna start DQIII soon. SNES port

I know it has been a frequent topic but I've been thinking about replaying it and still can't quite decide on which port, but I'm leaning SNES

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Good soup! posted:

I know it has been a frequent topic but I've been thinking about replaying it and still can't quite decide on which port, but I'm leaning SNES

If you love graphics, go with SFC. If you love puns, go with Switch.

...but is it art?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

making it to town with a single live party member with no mp

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

beat xenlon in dq3. the random battles in this area are way scarier than this boss was lol. great keepers are monsters, pheonix that are dedicated blasto spammers trying to tank your run, bosses that spam 50 dmg AOEs 3 times as regular enemies. that was hosed up

dragon quest monsters The Dark Prince on dec01. hoipe.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

----------------

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love the new monsters they've shown so far. Especially this guy:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's here boys. Get ready for cozy Xmas gaming

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yuji Horii tweeted yesterday that he's been playtesting the DQ3 remake, hopefully we're pretty close to a release date announcement:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i started dragon quest 11 this morning. looking forward to playing it periodically for eternity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

i started dragon quest 11 this morning. looking forward to playing it periodically for eternity.

Have fun with the great JRPG party in history.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat act 1 earlier this year and paused there to play other stuff but once the holidays are here Im gonna sit on my rear end and marathon the rest of the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played the hell out of 1-4 and some of the remakes of 3-4, and i admit i was an idiot and had a lack of faith that they could keep making this work, but this game owns so loving much, lmao.

it's one of the coziest modern games i've played. huge qol updates with Erik being able to tell you how many treasures are on a screen, the map sparkles, the bestiary, etc. it just makes "the grind" not feel like a grind at all because there's always something to do. my biggest surprise has been how good the voice acting is, even if erik forgets he's supposed to have an accent like 40 - 60 percent of the time. the art really shines, the soundtrack is great, and the 3D animations of the monsters and the little noises they make really bring something spooky to the DQ AI.

also, it's just a relief to play a game where you can order food and take bites in between selecting commands, lol.

love being back to scouring towns to talk to everyone, climbing down all the wells, finding all the medals, etc. it sort of feels like the old feelie manuals are just in the game now, so i've been playing without a guide. not sure how much i should be using steal or if i'm making good decisions on the skill tree, but it feels so loving good to come back to dragon quest. definitely playing the dq3 remake.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i played the hell out of 1-4 and some of the remakes of 3-4, and i admit i was an idiot and had a lack of faith that they could keep making this work, but this game owns so loving much, lmao.

it's one of the coziest modern games i've played. huge qol updates with Erik being able to tell you how many treasures are on a screen, the map sparkles, the bestiary, etc. it just makes "the grind" not feel like a grind at all because there's always something to do. my biggest surprise has been how good the voice acting is, even if erik forgets he's supposed to have an accent like 40 - 60 percent of the time. the art really shines, the soundtrack is great, and the 3D animations of the monsters and the little noises they make really bring something spooky to the DQ AI.

also, it's just a relief to play a game where you can order food and take bites in between selecting commands, lol.

love being back to scouring towns to talk to everyone, climbing down all the wells, finding all the medals, etc. it sort of feels like the old feelie manuals are just in the game now, so i've been playing without a guide. not sure how much i should be using steal or if i'm making good decisions on the skill tree, but it feels so loving good to come back to dragon quest. definitely playing the dq3 remake.

theres respecs on the skill tree so dont worry about it, and theres nothing missable in steals iirc. just let it wash over you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

theres respecs on the skill tree so dont worry about it, and theres nothing missable in steals iirc. just let it wash over you

yeah, like it's obvious that any mistakes i mean just mean playing the game more later.

playing it is such a sense memory trigger that i made myself ritz cracker peanut butter sandwiches with the glass of scotch last night, lmao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only things you can miss are:

• Some side quests can become temporarily unavailable for a long time, but the cutoff is obvious
  • There are a small number of optional scenes relatively late in the game that can become unavailable, but the cutoff is even more obvious
  • It is possible to get duplicates of otherwise unique items exactly once at a certain point in the game, but don't worry about it

...but is it art?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

sounds like me, I played 1-3 GBC ports as a kid and then never thought about DQ again. Imp Zone hype got me to play 5 > 8 > 11 earlier this year and it was an unbelievable ride.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

sounds like me, I played 1-3 GBC ports as a kid and then never thought about DQ again. Imp Zone hype got me to play 5 > 8 > 11 earlier this year and it was an unbelievable ride.

if they can stop making extremely good games for a minute at some point, i want to have a dragon quest summer and play through the SNES ones.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

if they can stop making extremely good games for a minute at some point, i want to have a dragon quest summer and play through the SNES ones.

100% worth it, 5 is extremely win

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the ds version of 5 is peak sprite art and animation, what a beautiful game

----------------

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

godspeed, gonna do the same soon

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQ11 is a gift from the heavens. A perfect game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

----------------

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Close.........the overworld theme is one of the weaker of the DQ games

But it's such a tiny problem that it probably doesn't count so yeah gently caress it it's perfect

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I believe that it can be improved upon, and that's why I can't die before Dragon Quest XII comes out.

...but is it art?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Close.........the overworld theme is one of the weaker of the DQ games

But it's such a tiny problem that it probably doesn't count so yeah gently caress it it's perfect

The new music generally isn't great, whenever I found myself really enjoying or noticing a track it turned out to be from a previous game. The 140 year old war crime lover needs to be put to pasture

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The new music generally isn't great, whenever I found myself really enjoying or noticing a track it turned out to be from a previous game. The 140 year old war crime lover needs to be put to pasture

he died lol. but apparently he'd already done the music for 12 so not free just yet

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I like the battle themes, but beyond that yeah it never reaches the highs of previous games

8's overworld theme ftmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

he died lol. but apparently he'd already done the music for 12 so not free just yet

I feel like I can still hear his voice if I listen closely to the wind, whispering "Nanking was asking for it"