Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
11,8,4,3,5,7,1,9,6,2 btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Is 6 bad or is it just ok

It’s really good, it’s just got a few things dragging it down—for me it was the extremely high random encounter rate and the fact that it could be hard to figure out where you’re supposed to go next, otherwise it’s just as good as any other game in the series.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

6 is fine, its just too long, same with 7. there isnt a bad dq game imo, even 2 kicks rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I mentioned it in the Games Beat thread the other day but I didn’t mind the length in 7 because the story was so episodic, it was almost like monster-of-the-week. You travel back in time to an island that had been wiped off the map long before the events of the game and then that particular island has its own little story of how it was destroyed that you resolve to save it, then you return to the present to check out what it’s like now and pick up the tablet pieces you need to go back in time to save a different island with a different story. The overarching story is mainly just a framing device until the very end. 6 didn’t have that structure so the pacing felt worse even though it was actually much shorter.

But again, I loved 6. It has a few issues compared to other Dragon Quest games but is still a very good game in its own right.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

6 feels both too long but simultaneously kinda unfinished, like it missed out on the last round of polishing. It's still really good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I feel like 90% of its problems could be solved if the fortune teller that Millie trained under actually told you where you were supposed to go next, if Millie doesn’t have anything in particular to say during party chat she’ll say something like “if you’re ever unsure what to do next just speak to Madame Lucca, she always seems to know” but then when you’re lost and have no clue what you should be doing you go to Madame Lucca and she’s just like “don’t forget you need to beat the Dread Fiend and save the world from his darkness.” Alright thanks.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

count me as a DQ convert thanks to IZGC. really wanna start 2 once the holiday weekend is over, tho i guess there's a bit more bullshit puzzle-solving involved?

i caved and started it early and it's slightly awkward hearing my dad call me the fruit of his loins

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this overworld music fuckkin rockls tho

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

11 and 5 are two of the greatest games I’ve ever played in my life, I should play the other ones asap

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

6 still kicks rear end but yeah it feels a bit too long and the characters weren’t as memorable to me as the other Zenithian trilogy games

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

6 still kicks rear end but yeah it feels a bit too long and the characters weren’t as memorable to me as the other Zenithian trilogy games

Largely agreed, I liked them all while I was playing but they don't stick in the mind afterwards like a lot of the other games companions do. I absolutely loved Lizzie though lol, I thought a lot of her party chat was really funny or charming or both and it was cool to have a monster companion with more of a personality than they usually get.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

> Yes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol i got to this guy a bit ago

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

NienNunb posted:

11 and 5 are two of the greatest games I’ve ever played in my life, I should play the other ones asap

Do 3 4 and 8

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yangus kicks rear end

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

jumped right into 2 after beating 1 for IZGC. like right after lol

I love DQ so much

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Powered through the cave to Rhone and made it to Rhone itself in DQ2...yeah it's time to grind lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I keep starting 4 on my 3DS and getting put off by the weird warped camera that makes me feel like my blood sugar is low. Do the other versions have this

Also DQ ftw obviously. I played 8 first (3ds) and it was enjoyable but didn't really click with me as anything special, then played 11 on Switch and it's one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. Builders is great too.

Actually my first was Dragon Warrior Monsters on Game Boy which was completely out of my territory as a kid and I had no idea what I was doing lol, might go back and play it sometime

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 25, 2022

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

These britches be dampen, bro

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've got a head start I started playing through the series for the first time a couple weeks before Dragon Quest was picked for game club. So far I've played through the android version of 1-3 and I'm on chapter 5 of the 4th. I wish they kept using the 2d graphics for 4. The battles take way longer in this one.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

dragon quest owns. and that new dragon quest treasures game coming out looks cool too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Is 6 bad or is it just ok

its boring and way to long. the job level up system is awful, you have to fight random battles in increments of 100 and then like 200ish for the hero class.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
cor blimey

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
decided since I beat 1 very recently and 2 last year I'm gonna start 3, probably the SNES version

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also someone needs to translate the PSX version of 4 you stupid fucks

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

lol was that the last draogn quest or the freaking Nino Kuni 2 game that kept spamming that

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

also someone needs to translate the PSX version of 4 you stupid fucks

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it is extremely morbid that if someone in your party dies they just become a floating coffin. it owns

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

symbolic posted:

it is extremely morbid that if someone in your party dies they just become a floating coffin. it owns

lol it does

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love it when you’ve only got one party member alive and they’re just leading a long train of coffins behind them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I love it when you’ve only got one party member alive and they’re just leading a long train of coffins behind them

Lizzie and the Coffins’ new album is 🔥

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Me, Larry the Goof Off, Frank the thief (he steals everyones poo poo in minecraft do not play with him), and skeezy the mage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

Me, Larry the Goof Off, Frank the thief (he steals everyones poo poo in minecraft do not play with him), and skeezy the mage

I smell a new quickly abandoned thread!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

yeah because two 600 page threads were abandoned quickly lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
the enemy animations in the remake of 3 for SNES are awesome

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Cozy Nighttime Town music FTMFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4lDGpj30M

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up starting DQII last night after finishing Thanksgiving cleanup even though I haven't finished my other gaming projects. Immediately got hooked again and stayed up until 3 playing. Got all 3 party members (I assume) and the silver key before crashing.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i wasn't able to beat 2 as a kid so my older brother recorded himself beating it on a VHS tape so I could see the ending. the dragonlord's grandson taught me the word 'bygones'