Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i went into a coma again so they would release the DQ3 remake and it still isn't out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

whenever it comes out, some IK needs to make the IZ contest an exercise in how many fish you can catch doing an in-depth thinkpiece in one of the political forums about how NewTown is a commentary on american capitalism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

QCS revived to deal with the arguments in D&D over whether "the merchant" is biden, obama or clinton. imp zone peacefully sitting on the sidelines because nobody will even give us banners to waive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

imagining an alternate universe in which an S tier I.p Zone poster chose "Kandar" as their user.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i started dragon quest 11 this morning. looking forward to playing it periodically for eternity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played the hell out of 1-4 and some of the remakes of 3-4, and i admit i was an idiot and had a lack of faith that they could keep making this work, but this game owns so loving much, lmao.

it's one of the coziest modern games i've played. huge qol updates with Erik being able to tell you how many treasures are on a screen, the map sparkles, the bestiary, etc. it just makes "the grind" not feel like a grind at all because there's always something to do. my biggest surprise has been how good the voice acting is, even if erik forgets he's supposed to have an accent like 40 - 60 percent of the time. the art really shines, the soundtrack is great, and the 3D animations of the monsters and the little noises they make really bring something spooky to the DQ AI.

also, it's just a relief to play a game where you can order food and take bites in between selecting commands, lol.

love being back to scouring towns to talk to everyone, climbing down all the wells, finding all the medals, etc. it sort of feels like the old feelie manuals are just in the game now, so i've been playing without a guide. not sure how much i should be using steal or if i'm making good decisions on the skill tree, but it feels so loving good to come back to dragon quest. definitely playing the dq3 remake.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

theres respecs on the skill tree so dont worry about it, and theres nothing missable in steals iirc. just let it wash over you

yeah, like it's obvious that any mistakes i mean just mean playing the game more later.

playing it is such a sense memory trigger that i made myself ritz cracker peanut butter sandwiches with the glass of scotch last night, lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

sounds like me, I played 1-3 GBC ports as a kid and then never thought about DQ again. Imp Zone hype got me to play 5 > 8 > 11 earlier this year and it was an unbelievable ride.

if they can stop making extremely good games for a minute at some point, i want to have a dragon quest summer and play through the SNES ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the music in 11 but I think it probably helps that it's all orchestral and I'm used to the 8 bit version, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the dragon quest wiki said he finished it but they haven't even finished their list of armor in dq3. shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just got irrationally angry at a nice woodcutter because he's clearly blocked up his well and I bet he didn't check it for medals/seeds. should have left him cursed and repaired the bridge using the fun size forge.