Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

reading about DJT in the gbs trump thread is absolutely painful

Wish I'd been man enough to sell those call spreads.

Well, I guess there is still plenty of time for it to get squirrely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://the-decoder.com/open-source-voice-cloning-model-voice-craft-steamrolls-over-openais-ethical-concerns/

quote:

In the case of Voice Engine specifically, OpenAI claims to have completed the model in 2022 but only unveiled it on March 29, 2024

Any rumors about OpenAI going public

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

for you guys doing taxes yourself with futures (or straddles/strangles) income, what tax software are you using? anyone have opinions on turbotax online vs. downloaded version? or turbotax deluxe vs. premier?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've used TurboTax for over a decade and I have no complaints except for the increased cost. You have to pay for the middle tier version to include investments.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Unfortunately I haven't found a better/cheaper/free option that wouldn't require manually entering all my trades.

The fact that I can give Intuit my credentials and then just look over the information they pulled is worth the cost (to the alternative) and they probably know that so they can keep increasing the cost.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I didn't trade a ton of futures last year but FreeTaxUSA (not a scam) worked fine for it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Very glad all my degen trading happens in my Roth IRA account.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

I didn't trade a ton of futures last year but FreeTaxUSA (not a scam) worked fine for it.

huh interesting to hear your endorsement of them, given that I know you trade a variety of stuff. FTUSA was a bit worse than turbotax for us last year (on stuff unrelated to trading)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I trade options and junk, but I also use FreeTaxUSA and would gladly endorse them as well.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Every year I’m more and more disillusioned by TurboTax, and haven’t heard of freetaxusa so will have to check it out. Knowing I am basically paying them to lobby for taxes to remain difficult doesn’t feel great.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
gently caress intuit, will never support them again after reading that propublica article.

Cashapp taxes work great for me. I don't trade futures but I do make 5 figures trading options. No auto import of trades but IRS has no problem accepting summarized gains/losses. That takes 30 seconds to type in using 1099B. Used them for the last 3 years with no problem.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed. Brokerages send me trade summaries, FreeTaxUSA lets me enter the short and long term gain/loss, and then it's off to the next form.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I'm not like a crazy trader or anything but I've used FreeTaxUSA (not a scam) and it's great. If all you're doing for your trading is entering the 1099-B / INT from your broker it's more than capable of that.

I'd say the thing TurboTax does better is hand holding step by step instructions for newbies and auto-imports of forms. If you are fine with doing basic data entry and know what and where all your tax forms are FreeTaxUSA is perfect. It's also insanely cheap compared to anything else. I paid like $15 or something for state and federal.

Hilariously terrible name though.

Disclaimer: I don't have a s-corp or rental property or claim double-reverse blind man's Dutch credits, so I have no idea how it handles the obscure tax edge cases.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mrmcd posted:

It's also insanely cheap compared to anything else. I paid like $15 or something for state and federal.

Confirming that federal filing is free and state filing is $15. They will politely make a couple of attempts to upsell professionally bound copies of your return or increased personal service, but nothing predatory or frustrating.

If the IRS online filing tool actually clears the field of commercial vendors, I might actually miss FTUSA if only because they are a decent alternative to some drat pricey mainstream names out there. I know too many people who file, at most, a 1040 with some mortgage/student loan interest, and pay $75-300 to file the particulars.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Went with FTU last night.

It did miss a few things on the auto-import via PDF for my W-2 and previous year filings (but you should be double checking anyway) but overall didn't take much longer, but my activity in 2023 was also far less complicated than in 2022.

Make sure to pay for the state filing directly instead of through your return if you're getting one. Something like a $25 fee to have it pulled from your return.

Both returns were already accepted according to SMS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mrmcd posted:

I'm not like a crazy trader or anything but I've used FreeTaxUSA (not a scam) and it's great.
Hilariously terrible name though.

They really ought to change their real name to "FreeTaxUSA (not a scam)"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FreeTaxUSA (not a scam)

This should really be a thread title, just not for this thread

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I believe it was in the title of the tax thread for a while

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Girbot posted:

Went with FTU last night.

It did miss a few things on the auto-import via PDF for my W-2 and previous year filings (but you should be double checking anyway) but overall didn't take much longer, but my activity in 2023 was also far less complicated than in 2022.

Make sure to pay for the state filing directly instead of through your return if you're getting one. Something like a $25 fee to have it pulled from your return.

Both returns were already accepted according to SMS.

I also use freetaxusa, did mine a week ago and it also hosed up the auto import PDF, just straight up put some numbers in the wrong place, mostly the tiny little text in box 14.

I heartily endorse freetaxusa but everyone needs to be aware the PDF import is not great and you should double-check every number and box.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
FYI taxhawk.com is the same as freetaxusa.com (not a scam) with a less stupid domain name.

I've been using it for a few years now and can recommend

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
Excel 1040 exists for those that want to do their taxes in an excel spreadsheet.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Lunitica posted:

Excel 1040 exists for those that want to do their taxes in an excel spreadsheet.

I would simply make my own excel spreadsheet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

pmchem posted:

for you guys doing taxes yourself with futures (or straddles/strangles) income, what tax software are you using? anyone have opinions on turbotax online vs. downloaded version? or turbotax deluxe vs. premier?

I've used H&R block for like 15 years, but I find I often have to manually enter buy/sale dates for individual stocks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Red posted:

I've used H&R block for like 15 years, but I find I often have to manually enter buy/sale dates for individual stocks.

H&R makes me manually fill out a state worksheet every year that it could easily fill in by itself, but doesn't. Looking at reviews, turbotax doesn't have this problem. gently caress you h&r block

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

H&R makes me manually fill out a state worksheet every year that it could easily fill in by itself, but doesn't. Looking at reviews, turbotax doesn't have this problem. gently caress you h&r block

Would you like to know who owns TurboTax?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

shift4 founder/ceo getting spicy on twitter

https://x.com/rookisaacman/status/1778168774580928868

finviz stats for $four actually look... okay? they're a decently high growth, profitable company. big debt load but maybe they grow out of it. anyone have thoughts on this company?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I saw it's rise and balance sheet and basically said, 'Oh, easy money, right here!'

And so did everyone else at the same time.

I've never in my life ever seen contract premiums like this before. That's the most obvious pump n dump there ever was.

i went back to this post to double check the premiums because i was sure at this point puts on djt had to be itm, but lol not yet

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Today I realized I wash traded because I tried to offload some of my company's shares while on paternity leave, while not realizing that I'm still paying into our quarterly ESPP. So the ESPP bought shares days after my sale. Absolute rookie move.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

saintonan posted:

Very glad all my degen trading happens in my Roth IRA account.

Same here!

I've used FreeTaxUSA since CreditKarma's tax client got bought out

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

First time poster, sorry if this is offtopic but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

My elderly FOX News addict father (who has memory issues) has paid $7,295 ($3,995 one month, $3,300 the next) to TV investment celebrity Charles Payne's company. He tells me it's for weekly investment advice and some kind of "course". This obviously seems like a horrible idea that I need to intervene on, but I worry it might also be a scam because I've googled the hell out of this and Charles Payne doesn't seem to offer any such service.

I thought I'd ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet if maybe it's time to put my dad in a home and take away his credit cards

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smoobles posted:

First time poster, sorry if this is offtopic but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

My elderly FOX News addict father (who has memory issues) has paid $7,295 ($3,995 one month, $3,300 the next) to TV investment celebrity Charles Payne's company. He tells me it's for weekly investment advice and some kind of "course". This obviously seems like a horrible idea that I need to intervene on, but I worry it might also be a scam because I've googled the hell out of this and Charles Payne doesn't seem to offer any such service.

I thought I'd ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet if maybe it's time to put my dad in a home and take away his credit cards

There's a new elder care thread that is probably more appropriate. It sounds totally like a scam.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

smoobles posted:

Charles Payne does appear to have a business that sells at least two different investment services, but the cost quoted on their website significantly differs from what you write:
https://www.wstreet.com/page.asp?id=32816
https://www.wstreet.com/page.asp?id=32814

regardless, it's a horrible mistake to buy those services, or an outright scam by an impostor, and your dad needs help.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Where's the elder care thread? I definitely need to start learning about options. My sis and I have the ability to take over his entire trust.

Ty for the feedback.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smoobles posted:

Where's the elder care thread? I definitely need to start learning about options. My sis and I have the ability to take over his entire trust.

Ty for the feedback.

It's stickied:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057760&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It turns out it's not an outright scam, just a typical grift. Charles Payne has a company called "Payne University" and the fee my dad paid is annual, so not as bad as I was afraid of, but still a stupid waste of money.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sorry to not use the elder care thread, but I figured half of y'all use Fidelity and could give me a quick answer (I've never used it personally):

Is there a way to call Fidelity and permanently remove options & margin trading from your accounts? In a way that there's no way for my dad to re-apply for these features?

Just wondering, because this would be an easy step to take, that I think he'd agree to. He tells me verbally that he won't touch options, but I don't believe him.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How did you guys learn about trading strategies and such, every so often I see people saying they will do a strangle straddle or some other thing and I'm not able to follow.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Crankit posted:

How did you guys learn about trading strategies and such, every so often I see people saying they will do a strangle straddle or some other thing and I'm not able to follow.

Investopedia, Google, YouTube from people older than 40 who aren't advertising their portfolios or stock picks.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
I just execute some options thing some teenager with a paper account is talking about. Then I lose some money and learn about what a straddle is while I'm up to my tits in cortisol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I mostly don’t do anything beyond simple buying of calls and puts.

If I’m feeling fancy. I’ll sell puts and hope to get assigned if its something I want to be long. Or if already have a big position in something and it pops upwards. I’ll sell some calls on the increased volatility and won’t mind too much if my shares get called away.

I’ve tried getting fancier in the past and mostly it made my portfolio really volatile and I had better and steadier gains with simple buy and hold strategies.

the year I told my self “no options” was one of my best.