Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Looking to sell a significant amount of stock at some point, around 0.5% of average daily volume for that company. It's pretty liquid but based on the depth that's way too much for a market order. How exactly do I go about this while minimizing the cost of liquidation? A single limit order at current ask price? Spread it out throughout the day? Or over multiple weeks? Or is 0.5% ADV too small to get worked up about?

esquilax fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like I understand what "option" means at an intermediate level, and also "spread," but I'm not sure about "option adjusted spread" and I'm curious why HYG's is 11 times larger than GVI?

Maybe also someone can explain "convexity"

Spread is basically the bond yield minus treasury yield, and by options they mean embedded options like embedded calls. Junk bonds have higher spread because they are more likely to default, and thus have a risk premium on their yields. The option adjusted spread means they run an algorithm that I don't understand that takes into account the increase or decrease in value due to those embedded options. For example, a callable bond might have a 6% yield versus a non-callable bond with a 5% yield - but they adjust that 6% downward by their model based on the probability that it gets called early and it results in a lower yield.

Convexity (Math alert): the relationship between interest rates and bond price isn't linear. The commonly used measure called Duration is the linear approximation of the impact of interest rates on value (basically the first derivative of price wrt yield). Convexity is the linear approximation of the impact of interest rates on Duration (basically the second derivative of price wrt yield). Higher positive convexity is better, as this means that it is less sensitive to large increases in yields (price drops) and more sensitive to large decreases in yields (price increases).

pmchem posted:

anyone care to post opinions on holding junk bond funds (e.g. HYG, JNK, FALN, ANGL) the next 6-12 months?

curious to get takes before I post something else interesting about 'em

The spreads right now are really narrow for some reason? I don't really get it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

surf rock posted:

If there's a bailout in the sense of "we can't let you withdraw your money for whatever reason, but we can advance you an equivalent amount of money up to the FDIC limit," then I'm fine with that. I know there are individuals and legitimate small businesses involved with that bank. But that's the most I could support.

I think this is basically already happening and more with just basic FDIC stuff, right?

From their press release it's my understanding that FDIC already set up the bridge bank that holds up to the FDIC insured amount - which will be available for withdrawal by Monday morning at any "SVB" brick and mortar location and online later that day. Sometime next week, by the 17th, they will also be sending checks to all depositors for a TBD% portion of the uninsured amount based on their napkin math, with the remainder to be settled later.

I'm guessing that whether those advance dividend checks are large enough and fast enough will be the determining factor in how many depositing companies have liquidity issues and trouble making payroll.

I have no idea how long it normally takes but assessing $200B of assets and $175B in deposits and paying out dozens of billions of dollars to thousands of random people within a week just sounds impossibly fast. Sounds like they're working through lunch.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

You're not taking into account the fact that everything even tangentially related to AI is now worth exactly 4 gajillion dollars

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the patent expires in 2026 so not too far off. I guess then there’s gonna be a ton of people making it and prices might come down.

I’m surprised insurance companies are shunning it though, wouldn’t it be more cost effective to pay to stop people being fat than pay to treat people for all the conditions that come with obesity?

For people with diabetes there's an ROI but for some 250 lb rando the science is still out whether paying $10k per year for a drug offsets more than that in cost. This is a separate, stricter question than whether it is cost effective from a treatment perspective.

Novo Nordisk stock is triple what it was when Wegovy (Ozempic for weight loss) got FDA approved in 2021, and is now the third most valuable non-US company. Don't think the market is projecting a major drop in revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: this is all over my head so I have no idea what's going on here but money number going down seems bad

There weren't a lot of charts that looked good as of March 18, 2020.