Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Annnnd that's the end of the world right there. We literally joke about this in the corporate thread, that if free coffee goes away, run for the hills because you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

man coffee is cheap af too. I was thinking it is more a big deal if snacks, especially expensive snacks like cheese, go away.

The idea of coffee going away is almost unconceivable to me.

"Why are we giving our employees free, legal productivity-enhancing happydrugs? The horror!"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

An associate is telling me they literally still have free coffee? The fancy nespresso machines or something require a card swipe for a couple bux

This makes more sense, honestly. Stupid bait articles, if true.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

8% bump for a loving cancer vaccine that reduces mortality rate by 50% seems awfully low

Doesn't seem to be much of an economic moat for this beyond the legal maze and red tape of the FDA

Serious answer as someone in pharma-land: Don't trust Phase 2 results for anything to be definitive, no matter how nice they are. Sure, it's promising -- but until that Ph3 data is in the bag, you can always have an insane surprise. Bad results in Ph2 = you're hosed, but good or great results in Ph2 just means you're not hosed yet. View them that way.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Luckily it seems like lately all you need is really good phase 2 data and you get approved!

Heck, dostarlimab got approved off of a phase I!

This remains forever my go-to article for this kind of discussion: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3922928/

I worked for PFE during that time period. The hype around that drug was downright surreal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

They have a ton of assets for an insolvent bank. Depositors may end up getting back as much as 100c on the dollar, but depending on the circumstances it could take 6-12 months before they get there (absent another bank buying up the ruins) and those respective small business depositors could be finished as a going concern as early as Monday without access to the funds.

Yeah, I think timing is going to be the bigger issue here than actual assets (but who knows what we'll learn after people poke around in SVB's books a little) for unsecured depositors. TBD after someone really knows anything and we're not all relying on random-rear end tweet-threads and tech sites that really don't know anything more than we do.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It's such a shame we don't have giant signs all over banks, right up in your face at the tellers even, talking about how FDIC insurance is only good for up to $250K. If only people had a way of knowing that the FDIC doesn't have to honor an insurance amount they didn't offer in the first place.

The business aspects (payroll, etc, for people who may not even know their employers were doing biz with that bank) are a challenge that I don't know how to untangle painlessly and have no knowledge to comment on other than "ouch", so consider the scope of my snark limited to Joe Techbro with $500K in an account insured for $250K.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 12, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

so, is first republic a buy?

I wouldn't touch poo poo related to any floundering bank right now, good buy or not, because bank runs and financial panic are not rational. However, I am not a degenerate gambler and also don't do short-term trading anyway so YMMV. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Red posted:

So you're saying buy stock in whichever companies make hockey masks

Don't forget foam spikes and power-shoulders. Diversify into whoever makes those, and (depending on your particular meta-analysis on the afterscape) possibly novelty codpieces.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

:thunk: I'm gonna need a few more rice cookers.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Has anyone run a Jim Cramer study where they just do the opposite of whatever he says?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zephyris posted:

chuckle. i need to defend these positions no later than ~1PM EST today. Will post outcomes!

See, this is why nobody likes kold-callers. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I saw ads for ozampic or however you spell it, at my local run of the mill, middle, not upper tier mall. They seem to have figured out everyone who can afford it will end up taking it

You can tell ours is a low-end mall because it has ads for dental reconstruction / "full jaw replacement" surgery instead of Ozempic. $14,990, financing available!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

pros will have some system or rules based on greeks

Keep it all in cash, no trading during siesta?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Umbreon posted:

I get that NVDA it incredibly overvalued but are you guys sure about long term puts on them? AI feels like a gold rush that's only just getting started, and NVDA is currently the top pickaxe seller on the market.

The only difference between this thread and WSB is that we use punctuation. :v:

(Yeah I'm not being totally fair, but really this is sort of a gambling thread. Nobody's sure about poo poo here.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

drk posted:

could have told you this a couple years ago

source: live in a part of silicon valley with a ton of AV testing. probably peaked sometime around 2018-2021. it used to be hard to go even a day without seeing at least one test vehicle. havent seen any apple vehicles in a long while

for those who live in the area, this was one of the most common apple AV test platforms:

I've lived here since 2016 and literally never seen one of those.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also, to be clear: I'm not saying "nuh uh they weren't around" I'm more just marveling at never having seen something so loving hideous around here, while surrounded by Waymos and Cybertruck Betas. That unit on top is incredible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

They'll get to increase rates to pay for damages and then keep the rates high permanently. Super bullish.

Yeah all an investor has to do is look at how PG&E makes out every time they burn down / explode part of California and it seems like a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I feel like once a month SF has some article about how legal dispensaries are struggling to stay profitable against the entrenched unregulated market.

The suggestion is to move it to schedule III not 4 or 5

California seriously shoots itself in the foot with this. It's significantly cheaper to go back to an illegal dealer than it is to pay for legal weed in most of the state, so of course the legit places are having trouble staying profitable. On top of that, they have to pay insane rents while still having the drawbacks of almost no payment processor working with them (or charging exorbitant fees), and the associated security / handling fees associated with churning enormous amounts of cash.

State:
15% excise
$2.75 per ounce leaves
$9.25 per ounce flowers
$1.29 per ounce fresh plants (??)
9.25% sales tax

County: Variable, with some doing percentages, some doing $X per square foot of cultivation space, some doing both. But typically this is on top of state.

City: Highly variable. Oakland does 5% medical / 10% recreational, my town does 15% straight up, SF has anywhere from 1-5% depending on size of biz + medical vs recreational.

Meanwhile, there's a guy who sits around on a park bench across the street from my place who (at least advertises that he) will sell you anything you're looking for.