Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

Ohtori Akio posted:

Make the mod forum a BYOB subforum.

Posting this in the mod forum, implementation imminent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Ohtori Akio posted:

Has there been any word on the Idiot King Contest.

I can't speak to that because the only spiritual and actual government to decide that is the reigning IK, I'm just a low mod I'm just a subject of the king as you are, you have to convince him to implement reforms and start a revolution!!

Goons Are Gifts

Oh that's a good idea that we didn't already have in place, heh, heh heheheheheheh *blinks nervously*

Goons Are Gifts

Sneaking in some actual answers here like a diamond thief

Twenty Four posted:

I think it's kinda that way but in a good spirited not really secret way? The first time I was IK maybe over 5 years ago Duckie messaged me and was like "do you want to be IK for a couple months give or take?" and I was like "yeah sure" and got PM'ed an extremely reasonable list of "dos and don'ts" (I think they are mostly the same now as they were then) then when I was done, I recommended someone as my successor, Olive! I think, and I assume the same process happened. Presumably whoever was before me recommended me as well.

The most recent time maybe half a year ago I guess it was an "IK contest" that I got voted in on by all of like maybe 10 votes lol. After a few months I was in a weird living situation and Mani and GaG were like "want someone to take over? You can do another contest if you want or just hand it over" and I said "sure, I'm unreliably online right now, maybe just give it to one of a short list of names including Barking Gecko because they are cool and good and I'd trust them as IK?" and I guess that's what happened.

So I guess that's my super-secret shadow government behind the scenes info! You can hand out 6ers, sticky threads for various amounts of time in a drop-down menu, and goldmine threads (maybe gas too? but like hardly any byob threads need gassing), and I think that's about it. It's all so exciting! lol
It is!
We actually still do it that way. Byob has a tradition of rotating IKs and the list you mentioned is still the same but with my writing instead of fluffie basically and ehh I think we only added a passage about succession and gang tags, that's it.

Since we had the Big Revolution Of The Lazy earlier this year, the setup is exactly the same, but we made it more relaxed. Originally every IK got one full month to go and be crazy, now we do it with a general "tell us how long you'd like" approach with mild "how about" limitations to keep things spinning, plus the IK gets to decide how to decide who gets to rule next. Anything goes, from IK contest to democracy to wild games to the IK deciding on a name or many. Even multiple IKs aren't forbidden if the IK wishes to do so.

So if HP wants to do an IK contest later on, that's entirely cool!
If we want to have an IK contest at all times instead of having the IK decide how to proceed, that's an entirely plausible suggestion, too, kinda depends on how both you guys as well as our past and current IKs felt with the do what you wish concept