Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Could someone spare me a pint or two of goat blood? A little salt would be good as well, but I think I’m covered there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

15 penalties against Bama. 5 against Texas.

17 penalties against Bama. 6 against Tennessee.

Will Anderson lining up offsides isn't the refs' fault

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

I also think Bama handles TCU comfortably and is the only team capable of beating Georgia.

That all may be true, but the point of the playoff isn’t to select the best 4 teams.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Regnevelc posted:

The committee isn’t putting a Joe Milton led team in the playoffs.

Thank Christ

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I wish the playoffs would go full 16 with all the conference winners getting an automatic spot. 6 at large picks with a max of 3 from the same conference would fix a lot of this. But in the state it is in now, I'm not a fan of a team not even making it to their conference championship game getting into the playoffs.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

That all may be true, but the point of the playoff isn’t to select the best 4 teams.

also, "Bama is clearly better than _________ and yet (wet fart)" has been the issue the whole year

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Henchman of Santa posted:

The committee doesn’t like rematches in the semifinal if it can be helped.

Alternative viewpoint from an Athletic writer:

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1599074530412007425?t=7w0fN-8_Z1dRYp36Myy66A&s=19

So my guess is that a non-Georgia loser drops a spot. If TCU loses, committee could be tempted to shove in tOSU to #3.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

General Dog posted:

Bama had their chance this year and never looked great. They barely beat Texas and Texas A&M. I'd much rather see OSU and/or UM get a shot at Georgia.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LLCoolJD posted:

I admit I am partially chatting poo poo to spur debate, but I also think Bama handles TCU comfortably and is the only team capable of beating Georgia.

And that's the thing at the end of day, the committees criteria is not strength of schedule or losses or whatever, its who do we think would win head to head. That's the real reasons OSU jumped the Big 12 teams in 2014

And by god if Bama doesnt have most favored nation status for hypothetical h2h games

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TCU and Bama have a common opponent in Texas and TCU won that by a bigger margin than Bama, so I’m not sure why anyone thinks Bama is that much better than TCU.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And that's the thing at the end of day, the committees criteria is not strength of schedule or losses or whatever, its who do we think would win head to head.

That’s not it, though; the committee’s criteria has been extremely consistent:

1) number of losses
2) conference title y/n

Who they think actually wins a theoretical head to head is the tiebreaker after those first two. So yeah, Bama is probably 8-10 points better than TCU, but that’s never been enough to for a 2-loss P5 team to overtake a 1-loss P5 in the eyes of the committee.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 3, 2022

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bama could win the playoff if they're let in and Bill O'Brien leaves before the games start

If BoB is still around there's no point in them playing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The committee’s commission as I’ve always understood it is not “who are 4 teams who can seriously compete for the title,” rather it’s “who are 4 (P5) teams that have had a good enough season to be permitted to compete for the title”.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

The committee’s commission as I’ve always understood it is not “who are 4 teams who can seriously compete for the title,” rather it’s “who are 4 (P5) teams that have had a good enough season to be permitted to compete for the title”.

Cynically I'd argue aside from this that it's also who can we reasonably put in that will make us the most TV money. That's the tiebreaker at least.

e: shouldn't come into play this year to be clear unless K State scores about 70 points in the second half.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 3, 2022

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
After all this stuff we're still going to wind up with Ohio State and Alabama in the playoff, aren't we.

I hate it here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Manoueverable posted:

After all this stuff we're still going to wind up with Ohio State and Alabama in the playoff, aren't we.

I hate it here.

Ohio State is in, Bama is gone barring some absolutely colossal catastrophe in the next couple of hours. Even if they lose TCU just needs to be reasonably respectable and I don't think they can keep them out this time.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

TCU should go to the playoff if they lose, but I challenge you to make an argument that Bama deserves to go to the playoff more than Penn State. Both teams' best wins are against two 8-4 teams. Penn State dominated Auburn more thoroughly when Auburn still had a coach. I think Penn State is the best two loss team in the country. They would beat Tennessee, Alabama, and USC.

But Penn State should not go to the playoff and neither should Bama. End of discussion.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

wrong thread

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

TCU should go to the playoff if they lose, but I challenge you to make an argument that Bama deserves to go to the playoff more than Penn State. Both teams' best wins are against two 8-4 teams. Penn State dominated Auburn more thoroughly when Auburn still had a coach. I think Penn State is the best two loss team in the country. They would beat Tennessee, Alabama, and USC.

But Penn State should not go to the playoff and neither should Bama. End of discussion.

You could make a case that Bama has better wins and its losses were closer, but you could also argue that both losses were against worse teams than Penn State's losses. Either way it doesn't really matter I don't think Bama is getting in unless TCU ends up getting absolutely embarassed for the rest of the game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’ll buy the argument that PSU beats a Joe Milton led Vols team but nothing about them was remotely impressive against Michigan.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That's because Harbaugh has built Michigan into Alabama. Michigan is scary good. I think Georgia and Michigan are the best teams and then there's a big gap to #3

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1599126857726803968?t=_V73tvdrUbnYq9SjW184KA&s=19

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Boy they sure are losing huh?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Just factor in the free 7 or so from that missed false start

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Komet posted:

That's because Harbaugh has built Michigan into Alabama. Michigan is scary good. I think Georgia and Michigan are the best teams and then there's a big gap to #3

Ehh, it's more of a lightning in a bottle thing for Michigan. After a poo poo COVID year, he called his brother to raid the Ravens coaching staff to get a tOSU-defending defense, then re-raided it this year. He correctly identified their strength as an Offensive Line Factory, so hit on three RBs, correctly identifying that losing Gattis as OC wouldn't matter much because POUND THE ROCK.

The 2023 recruiting class is apparently pretty Garbo, as they lost recruiting strength / NIL prep when he flirted with the NFL. He's going to also lose a ton of coaches to promotions and he has missed in the past on hires. So not quite Alabama, but its own really good, but tenuous thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Komet posted:

Dude touch grass

Michigan is not recent day Alabama.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 3, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

absolute garbage by the refs

Ball should have been at the 4 inch line after 2nd down and not reviewing 3rd down is actual malpractice

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We’re not gonna get in, nor should we frankly, but I eagerly await the next day or two of furious debate and people being mad that we might. Merry Christmas all!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So Duggan or Williams for Heisman. They didn't win and chaos reigns but they've both got their signatures.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

absolute garbage by the refs

Ball should have been at the 4 inch line after 2nd down and not reviewing 3rd down is actual malpractice

3rd down was likely a silent review as there was a hurt player for like two minutes and they decided that the sideline views (apparently not shown) were more conclusive than the top-behind camera angle.

But holy gently caress those play calls. Trusting the offensive line when you have the should-be Heisman? Coached out of a conference title tbh

https://twitter.com/anthonytbroome/status/1599147713035227136?t=yFGnZC_d1t6FW2aP0fDgpw&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

So Duggan or Williams for Heisman. They didn't win and chaos reigns but they've both got their signatures.

Seriously they were both amazing. I'd give the nod to Duggan just based on the championship games which is not how you do it of course. But both of them were awesome and weren't the reason they lost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It pains me to say this about a USC dude but Williams showed yesterday that he had that dawg in him (I think to a greater extent than Duggan) and I think he should get it,

Bonus points for the nails against ND

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Duggan had like three dropped picks in the second half plus a horrific real one in the endzone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Warbird posted:

We’re not gonna get in, nor should we frankly, but I eagerly await the next day or two of furious debate and people being mad that we might. Merry Christmas all!

Merry christmas to you Warbird, as well.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The absolute disrespect to Michael Penix Jr in this thread, smdh.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Manoueverable posted:

Super fuckin happy that dude thrived after the transfer. It was pretty clear he had something and was hosed over by his team last year, glad that turned out great. Another argument for the "every player should transfer at least once" argument.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/KStateFB/status/1599151991648919553

I don’t understand football.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

He is pretty dope

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

That's apparently K State's video guy's "thing", to intentionally make lovely videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It pains me to say this about a USC dude but Williams showed yesterday that he had that dawg in him (I think to a greater extent than Duggan) and I think he should get it,

Bonus points for the nails against ND

No loss will ever detract from that young man's nail game. The Heisman should be his.