Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Congratulations to our 2023 Spook-a-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club Champion John Carpenter!

Its baaaaack!

Ok, quick intro for the new comers. We started this back in 2020 during the pandemic quarantine and shreknet ran two tournaments to help keep us sane. In 2021 I took over and expanded it into a year long sometimes complicated affair. But its actually fairly simple. We spend a few weeks now doing drafts and making teams and stuff but once the tournament starts its as simple as me drawing 4 new movies each week and you watching, reviewing, and voting on which of them you think should move forward. Or not. Your level of engagement is yours to decide. You can watch all the movies or pick and choose. You can come and go as you please. Whatever you have fun with. If building teams now sounds fun to you then hang around. If you just want to watch and vote on some movies I’ll have a full bracket of 64+ directors/teams and schedule up and running after Christmas and will keep going all the way through to Halloween. I just want to give people fun things to do.

For those of you returning first lets congratulate twernt and their Spooky Swinging Sixties team for being the 2022 Champions. And while we’re at it lets congratulate Darthemed and his Sumptuously Stupid team for winning the HalloweeNIT. You’ll be seeing more of that team since they are officially the first members of our Field of 64. We’ll figure out the rest of the field in here mostly the same as we did last year but with a few changes I think. Let me run through them quickly.

- Starting right now you can nominate any director with 6 or more movies.

- Also starting now you can renominate up to 5 teams from last year’s tourney if you have them. If you don’t have 6+ movies that’s ok, but you’ll have to add to them during the “draft” portion to make them eligible. I’m limiting it to 5 this year so posters like myself who have a ton of teams can’t just horde lots of movies/directors. I still want to encourage “legacy” teams but I don’t want to stack the deck. That’s why we can’t add to the teams now and why I capped it. The cap should really only affect a couple of us anyway. If anyone objects let me know but I think its fairest for all (and there’s no keeping you from nominating those teams later if they’re still available).

- Dec 4th 3rd we start the “draft” portion of the nomination process. Each day starting at 12 noon will start a new round. Each poster can nominate one team each day/round. This is simplified and extended from “one every 12 hours” from last year. Now you don’t have to keep track of when your last one was and also again it keeps a few of us from hoarding picks early and gives people a better chance to join in even if it takes them a bit to come up with teams or notice the thread.

- Dec 12th the draft ends and you can just nominate however many teams you wish. I might end the draft earlier if its clear its run out of steam.

- Dec 14th the nomination process ends and voting begins to determine who makes the tourney. I have a new voting concept in mind this year. Basically I’ll be breaking each nominee into 2 of 4 pools. Veteran or Rookie and Solo or Team. You’ll have X votes in each category and I’ll add it all up when we’re done to create the field. This won’t mean each bracket is Veteran/Rookie/Solo/Team. But it should help keep the field a bit more even, give new entrants a better chance to make the tournament, and just be easier to make sense of instead of one giant pool of nominees. Again, any objections feel free to voice them.

- After Christmas I’ll end the voting and put the bracket together. And then we’ll start the tournament Jan 1st. Although Jan 1st is a Sunday and everyone seemed to like the Saturday start time so I’m thinking maybe we start New Year’s Eve? We can figure that out as we go. Its probably not a big deal and I’d have to move the date back another day next year to stay on Saturday or move to the first Saturday of January. But I dunno. Just a thought. Feel free to speak if you have an opinion.

- The last change I’m considering is a restructuring to our schedule. We’d still be doing the giant tournament but I had a thought that it might be more fun and less of a slog if we broke the tournament into 5 conference tournaments. Basically we’d spend 6-7 weeks doing 1st-3rd rounds of Conference A and you’d see a bunch of directors/teams 2 or 3 times in 6-7 weeks. Then we’d do Conference B. Take a Spring Break. Do C and D. And then finish off with the Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen. I think this would create bit more momentum and buzz around specific teams/directors and matchups, give people starting and stopping points… I don’t know. Anyone have any thoughts?

It would basically look like this:

I have a new spreadsheet up. There you can find a rough look at what the schedule would look like. You can also find a list of last year’s nominees with what movies they have left as well as past results and stats. I’m still working on cleaning them up but they should be largely accurate (aside from the team stat page which I have to overhaul entirely). I always tend to be more long winded and complicated than I need to be but I’m trying to simplify things as much as I can this year. But I’m not great at that. So if you are confused please just ask.

And please, any and all ideas or suggestions are welcome. I'm putting this up now so we have a month to talk about it and get what we want.

Rules subject to change

The Council: The top 8 posters from last year’s thread (besides myself) are our unofficial “Council”. If there is some crucial stalemate or disagreement in nominations or rules they will vote and I will be the tiebreaker. They will each name one Automatic Bid who gets entered directly into the Field of 64 and skips the nomination vote. Each Council Member is free to give their spot to anyone they like, director or team, as long as they’re eligible for the tourney. The 8 posters are:

Upon suggestion I have decided to grant a bye to anyone who made a nomination. Those who had previous byes but didn't make a nomination keep them.

married but discreet: Abstain
Franscendo: Abstain
Basebf555: Roy Ward Baker
Samfucius: The REC Dudes (Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza)
twernt: Lewton Bus (Jacques Tourneur, Robert Wise, and Mark Robson)
REDACTED: TaBOO! (Clive Barker, Carlos Atanes, J-P Valkeapää, Harry Kümel, and Jörg Buttgereit)
MacheteZombie: Kôji Shiraishi
Kangra: Lady Thrillers (Georges Franju, Robert Altman, Bryan Forbes, Matt Cimber, John Grissmer, and Irvin Kershner)
Tarnop: Horror Noire (William Crain, Paul Maslansky, Cliff Roquemore, Ernest R. Dickerson, Rusty Cundieff, J.D. Dillard, Nia DaCosta, Mariama Diallo, and Jordan Peele)
Berzerker: The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Amy Seimetz, and Brea Grant)
Servoret: Red Dusk (Konstantin Lopushansky and Piotr Szulkin)
HalloweeNIT: Sumptuously Stupid (Michael Rymer, David S. Goyer, Tarsem Singh, Steve Beck, Fran Rubel Kuzui, Sylvain White, and Jan de Bont)
deety: Nifty Fifties (Gene Fowler Jr., Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Mervyn LeRoy, and Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)
Darthemed: At The Movies (Vernon Zimmerman, Mark Herrier, Anders Jacobsson, Shinichiro Ueda, Adam Brooks & Matthew Kennedy, and Todd Strauss-Schulson)
WeaponX: 100% Found Footage (Oren Peli, Bobcat Goldthwait, Joseph and Vanessa Winter, Josh Trank, Scott Glosserman, Stephen Cognetti, and Levan Gabriadze)
Servoret: Classic One-offs (Maurice Tourneur, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Alberto Cavalcanti, Rouben Mamoulian, Victor Fleming, Albert Lewin, Thorold Dickenson, Robert Siodmak, Carl Th. Dreyer)
Moomin Dreams: 80s Ladies (Amy Holden Jones, Deborah Brock, Carol Frank, Jackie Kong, and Sally Mattison)
Class3KillStorm: Steve's Monster Blockbusters (Steven Spielberg and Stephen Sommers)

*The HalloweeNIT winner receives an automatic bid taking the total to 9.
*Servoret earned another Bid by completing the HalloweeNIT October challenge for the second year in a row

Nominations:
  • Any and every qualified nomination made by a poster is included in a voting pool and the top X make the tournament.
  • A select number of nominees will be chosen for byes through the nomination process and grab the top seeds in the tournament.
  • The last few slots in the tournament will be filled by playin rounds or crapshoot teams to add some extra randomness. The exact numbers and format depend on how the voting turns out.

Director Qualifications:
  • Any director with 6 or more qualifying films can be nominated on their own.
  • Directors can be teamed up on teams of no less than 6 films and and a soft cap of 10 films. So you can go over 10 but you once you get there you have to stop.
  • You can assemble a team by whatever criteria you wish, by theme, franchise links, connected creators, your favorites, or just at random. If they qualify they’re good.

Movie Qualifications:
  • If a movie has been drawn in past Bracketologies it is ineligible. There’s a full list on the spreadsheet and a Letterboxd list here.
  • We play pretty fast and loose with what makes a “horror.” Thrillers, fantasies, sci fi. If you can make the case for it and there are no big objections it can count. If people don’t think its horror enough that can be fought out in the voting. Just try and be reasonable and act in good faith. Don’t abuse the flexibility.
  • Anthology segments, short films, and TV episodes are a grey area. You can include them if you wish but if they’re under 60 minutes or just one segment of a full feature you can skip it.
  • TV movies are eligible as regular features.
  • If a film is unreleased, lost, or otherwise just impossible to watch without a festival ticket, an inordinate price tag, or a shady download then you can skip it as long as no one else can find it easily available.

Team Nomination Rules
  • You can team any 2 or more eligible directors to total a minimum of 6 films and a soft cap of 10.
  • A “soft cap” means if your team theme or pair of directors takes you over 10 naturally and no one objects it will be allowed. What you can’t do is add new unconnected directors once you hit 10. We’ll deal with this on a case by case basis.
  • We’ll run a “draft” doing one round a day starting at 12 noon EST in which you can nominate a team, but only 1 a day per poster.
  • Returning “legacy” teams can be brought back in total by the posters who made them before the draft begins. A cap of 5 teams per poster. Posters can not add directors to the team until the draft and doing so will count as a round pick.
  • Once the draft ends there will be a period where you can nominate any other teams you may want including legacy teams.

No Cherry Picking: If a director is part of your team then you must include all eligible films of theirs on the team. The baseline for "eligibility" are traditionally labeled "horror" films but its possible there will be disagreement over looser interpreted thrillers, sci fi, fantasy, or what have you. If these disputes can't be resolved in thread the Council will vote.

Important Dates
    Subject to change
  • Now: Any teams from last year can be renominated. New films from existing directors can be added, but no new directors. There’s a cap of 5 per poster.
  • You can nominate a director with 6 or more films at any time.
  • Dec 4th 3rd noon EST: “Draft” begins and any new teams can be nominated. New directors can also be added to old teams. You can only nominate/update one team a day.
  • Dec 12th noon EST: Draft limits end, anyone can nominate as many teams as they like.
  • Dec 14th noon EST: Nominations lock and voting begins.
  • Dec 26th noon EST: Voting ends and Bracket is locked.
  • Jan 1st: Tourney begins.

2020: Franchise Tournament Thread / Franchise Letterboxd List / Directors Tournament Thread / Directors Letterboxd List
2021: Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List / HalloweeNIT Letterboxd List
2022: Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List / HalloweeNIT Letterboxd List
2023: Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List
Cumulative: Letterboxd Master List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FAQ

So why are there directors and teams?
This originally started as a simple Directors Tournament. We had some directors with 6 films and some with less that repeated their films through the tournament. The teams were intended to do three things. 1) Make sure every entry had enough films to draw a new one each round. 2) Get more directors and movies involved. 3) Make this all more interactive and fun by giving people a chance to build their own teams or develop rooting interests. There was some concern that it created an opportunity for “super teams” that had an advantage over the solo directors with large filmographies of varying quality. The “no cherry picking” rule was created to basically try and avoid that, but the champion both seasons we’ve done this has been a team as have been the majority of the Final Four. I think logically we’re gonna see more team domination as we go on and great solo directors get eliminated or their filmographies get worked down. I think that’s ok because it will keep the pool changing and dynamic. But others have disagreed and taken issue with “super teams” of heavily curated films that run through the tourney. That’s a line we walk and I always want to make sure we’re enjoying this so if you have a suggestion, complaint, or comment feel free to speak up.

Why “no cherry picking”?
The idea is simply to avoid a very selective choosing of movies that uses only the best films and cuts all the bad ones. That would make a less dynamic tournament and more of a “my favorite films” thing. And really give an advantage of people trying to act more in good faith and just include everything their director or team have to offer. This can get questionable at times since the definition of “horror” can vary a lot. Some films are called thrillers or fantasy or crime or sci fi that others thing are horror. Ultimately it comes down to good faith. If you think its a horror, use it. If you really don’t think it is, then fine. Cut it. If someone disagrees we can hash that out and hopefully come to a civil compromise. If all else fails the Council will vote on anything that can’t be settled.

So does that mean I have to add all these sci fi and thriller films to my list?
No, not at all. In the past movies that aren’t traditionally considered horror have been included in this tournament. People have made passionate cases for them and I’ve tried to be very permissive. In the end I think its a matter that can be resolved in the voting. But that might get confusing in the nomination process as we talk about “eligible” films or “no cherry picking” especially when you see me talk about which films I added for a director. Thing is you say “I nominate Bill Smith” and then I have to go add all of his movies to the spreadsheet for the random draw. But I don’t know Bill Smith’s films so I just go based off the movies listed as horror. But I do tend to peek at the other stuff to see if anything looks like it might fit. So I have to make judgment calls. And sometimes I’ll be wrong, and again, if you disagree with something just speak up. I’ll defer to thread consensus 99% of the time. And if we can’t find a consensus then the Council.

Why is there a weird period where only old teams can be nominated?
I want to encourage people to bring back old teams so we can create a kind of legacy and record of teams. I think that could be a lot of fun. Successful teams trying to come back and do it a second time, unsuccessful teams trying it a second time, teams trying to come back year after year. And if there’s just a free for all then other people might break up those teams so I wanted to give them a chance to think it over and decide if they wanted to bring them back. But I don’t want to give those teams an unfair advantage in adding new directors over the other posters so that’s why they can’t build on their teams during that period.

Why can I only nominate a team every day?
Basically the idea is to avoid anyone spamming a bunch of teams and getting all the big movies and directors. I want to give everyone a chance to participate and brainstorm so making the people who have been planning teams for awhile have to sit and wait out a clock can hopefully help give everyone else time to come up with teams if they want. At least until enough time has passed and we think we can just let the over zealous people go wild. It also creates a kind of default “draft” scenario where you’re gonna have to prioritize your nominations. You’ll have to decide which you want to nominate first in the hopes that someone else doesn’t steal a director in the day you have to wait before your next pick. And I think drafts are fun. In 2021 this was 12 hours but I extended it to 1 day to both encourage involvement from more posters and make it easier to track.

Can we change our teams or trade directors around?
Absolutely. If there’s a problem with your team or some conflict has to be resolved that doesn’t count as a new pick. You can just address that without waiting. If you decide you just want to add someone else to your team though that does count as a new pick/day. I don’t want to over complicate it (more than I already do) but it becomes a mess if we’re just constantly changing things up.

Why just directors?
I wanted to expand the criteria beyond directors to other people who help make movies great. Producers, writers, cinematographers, composers, sfx artists, and of course actors. But the problem I realizes is that once you start allowing different criteria you end up with a lot of crossover. So how do you decide what team or entry a film goes on when all its cast and crew are nominated? It just seemed like a mess. Ultimately the director criteria is less of a real interest in finding the best director or putting all the credit for a film on the director than it is just a convenient sorting device. It gives us a guideline to narrow down our entires and nominations and make this thing work. We could probably use other criteria to do it but this started as a directors’ tourney and has done three years under that criteria so it makes sense to just continue the course.

Why do you eliminate movies after they’ve been drawn? Its been two years, I want to watch it again.
The idea is both to make sure that we don’t just have the same winners year after year but also to keep diving deeper into cuts for our films. A lot of the fun of this isn’t just watching classics we’ve all seen. That’s fun and for many of us we haven’t seen a lot of classics without some prompting. But a lot of the films we watch are films most of us have never seen or even heard of. And sometimes that’s a lot of fun or reveals some real gems. And of course you don’t have to watch all the films and you’re free to watch what you want. Its possible over time if we do this long enough it might make sense to reset the pool. But it also might just be fun if we keep doing this for years to keep eliminating movies and keep digging deeper and deeper even once all the big masters have been eliminated or cut down to the point where they need teams to be nominated. We can play that out as it comes.

Why are the teams 6-10 films?
The idea is 6 films should be enough to get a team through the tournament without redraws and 10 should be enough of a cap to keep the team from just hoarding a ton of films or directors when they could be in other teams and get more play. 10 is a soft cap because its possible you’ll have 2 or 3 directors who add up to 11 or 12 films or something and there’s no reason to not allow that. In theory you could have 2 directors with 9 films for a total of 18 films or 10 directors with 1 film each. You can also just do 6 films or less than 10 if you wish. Maybe you want to put together a little “boutique” team of films that fit a specific theme of some kind and you can only get to 6 or 7. That’s fine. The goal is flexibility and giving everyone as much room as they need to have fun and be creative.

If a director with 6 films can be nominated solo why can he also be on a team?
That was an addition in Season 3. It was suggested by mbd and Tarnop and while initially I had reservations over why you’d team up two directors who could qualify on their own I decided that it didn’t really matter. If for some reason you did want to do that or tag a director with 1 or 2 films on with a director with 6+ then I guess why not? It adds more flexibility and makes the rules less restrictive and easier to understand, and in the end it just means more directors, more films, and more random draws.

What if I just don’t like this rule or change?
Then please, please speak up. I want to make this as fun for everyone as possible. I don’t like being the guy who makes unilateral decisions. I recognize to some extent you just have to make a call at some point but if you really don’t like or understand something please let me know and we can talk it out and change it if it makes sense.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 4, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok I figured I’d get nominations started myself so we can see an example. So first I’ll nominate the first solo director:

Wes Craven

By my math he has these films left in his pool:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. New Nightmare
3. Scream
4. Scream 2
5. Scream 3
6. Scream 4
7. The Hills Have Eyes
8. The Hills Have Eyes Part 2
9. Red Eye
10. The People Under The Stairs
11. The Serpent and The Rainbow
12. Swamp Thing
13. Vampire in Brooklyn
14. My Soul to Take
15. Deadly Blessing
16. Deadly Friend
17. The Hills Have Eyes Part 2
18. Invitation to Hell
19. Chiller

Maybe it will finally be his year. Or maybe he’ll draw Chiller and get knocked out first round again. We’ll see. The RNG will decide.

And secondly I’ll renominate my 5 teams.

Ladies Night XX (Anna Biller, Karyn Kusama, Emerald Fennell, Natalie Erika James, Natalia Leite, Jill Gevargizian, Lucile Hadžihalilović, Natasha Kermani, Kate Mulleavy & Laura Mulleavy, and Mitzi Peirone)

Promising Young Woman
Relic
The Stylist
Lucky
Evolution
Woodshock

Guillermo del Toro's Spooky Stories & Creature Features (Guillermo del Toro, André Øvredal, Troy Nixey, Scott Cooper, JA Bayone, and Rahi Anil Barve)
Cronos
Crimson Peak
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Pacific Rim
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
The Orphanage
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The Magical Muppet Wizardry of Jim Henson and Friends (Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Joe Dante, Kirk R. Thatcher, Jon Bristol, Karl Holt, Kevin Lewis, and Bill Watterson)

Labyrinth
Muppets Haunted Mansion
Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow
Little Shop of Horrors
The Stepford Wives
Gremlins
Piranha
Benny Loves You
Dave Made a Maze

All Hail Stephen King (Stephen King, Stanley Kubrick, Ralph S. Singleton, Rob Reiner, Taylor Hackford, Fraser Clarke Heston, Bryan Singer, Andy Muschietti, and Lawrence Kasdan)

Maximum Overdrive
Graveyard Shift
The Shining
Misery
Dolores Claiborne
Needful Things
Apt Pupil
It
It Chapter Two

Knockoffs of the Living Dead (Dan O’Bannon, Tom Savini, Zack Snyder, Mike Schneider, Krisztian Majdik and Zebediah De Sotoand, Milan Konjević and Milan Todorović, Tor Ramsey, and Hèctor Hernández Vicens)

Return of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead ’04
Army of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated
Night of the Living Dead: Darkest Dawn
Zone of the Dead
Children of the Living Dead
Day of the Dead: Bloodline

I’ll be renominating more of my teams if I can. And I’ll be changing and adding to the lineups of those 5. But I have to wait and do that in the draft.

I hope that's all clear and easy to understand. You can find a list of previously nominated directors and teams on the spreadsheet. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Renominating Lewton Bus

(Most of) the classic RKO film cycle produced by Val Lewton, plus a few odds and ends necessitated by the “no cherry picking” rule.

Mark Robson:
Bedlam (1946)
The Ghost Ship (1943)
Isle of the Dead (1945)
The Seventh Victim (1943)

Jacques Tourneur:
Cat People (1942)
The Comedy of Terrors (1963)
The Leopard Man (1943)
War-Gods of the Deep (1965)

Robert Wise:
The Body Snatcher (1945)
The Curse of the Cat People (1944)
A Game of Death (1945)
The Haunting (1963)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I really hope the council isn't ranked by who posted the most, I don't wanna be that person!

I'd like to nominate Ngai Choi Lam

The Seventh Curse (1986)
The Cat (1992)
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)
Xue mei gui (1988)
Bi gui zhuo (1986)
Xue mei gui (1988)
Liao zhai yan tan (1987)

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Thanks Goat! Time to renominate one serious team and four gimmick teams.

Hey folks, it's folk horror!
Folk and folk-adjacent horror.

* The White Reindeer (1952) - Erik Blomberg
* Viy (1967) - Georgiy Kropachyov, Konstantin Ershov
* Marketa Lazarová (1967) - František Vláčil
* Robin Redbreast (1970) - James MacTaggart
* Hagazussa (2017) - Lukas Feigelfeld
* November (2017) - Rainer Sarnet
* Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017) - Paul Urkijo
* The Other Lamb (2019) - Małgorzata Szumowska

I should probably remove Marketa Lazarová since it's not really horror but I'll leave it for now.

I Never Meta Documentary I Didn't Enjoy
Trying this thing again where it's movies about horror movies.

* Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006) - Jeff McQueen
* Birth of the Living Dead (2013) - Rob Kuhns
* Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini (2015) - Jason Baker
* Horror Movie: A Low Budget Nightmare (2017) - Gary Doust
* Wolfman’s Got Nards (2018) - André Gower
* Fulci for Fake (2019) - Simone Scafidi
* Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019) - Xavier Burgin
* Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street (2019) - Roman Chimienti, Tyler Jensen
* Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror (2021) - Kier-La Janisse

But what I really want to do is direct.
Directed by folks who are probably better known as actors.

* Play Misty for Me (1971) - Clint Eastwood
* High Plains Drifter (1973) - Clint Eastwood
* Haunted Honeymoon (1986) - Gene Wilder
* A Bucket of Blood (1995) - Michael McDonald
* Man with the Screaming Brain (2005) - Bruce Campbell
* My Name Is Bruce (2007) - Bruce Campbell
* Lost River (2014) - Ryan Gosling
* A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski
* A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - John Krasinski

The Return of the Bride of the Remake's Ghost!
Everyone loves a remake, so why not a renomination of a team of remakes?

* Willard (2003) - Glen Morgan
* Black Christmas (2006) - Glen Morgan
* The Crazies (2010) - Breck Eisner
* Fright Night (2011) - Craig Gillespie
* The Thing (2011) - Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.
* Carrie (2013) - Kimberly Peirce
* The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) - Alfonso Gomez-Rejon

Team Sharksploitation
When I found Misty Talley and her four shark movies I knew it was a sign.

* Shark Zone (2003) - Danny Lerner
* Raging Sharks (2005) - Danny Lerner
* Shark in Venice (2008) - Danny Lerner
* Zombie Shark (2015) - Misty Talley
* Ozark Sharks (2016) - Misty Talley
* Mississippi River Sharks (2017) - Misty Talley
* Santa Jaws (2018) - Misty Talley
* Psycho Shark (2009) - John Hijiri
* Shark Lake (2015) - Jerry Dugan
* Toxic Shark (2017) - Cole Sharpe

twernt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 27, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

I really hope the council isn't ranked by who posted the most, I don't wanna be that person!
Its ok. Technically I'm that guy but I just skip myself in the name of fairness or Catholicism or something.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well I'm aleady working on being No 1 Posty Boy again...

Director Nominations:
Claudio Fragasso (he did Troll 2 for heaven's sake!)
Michele Soavi

Renominating:

Never Going To Australia Peter Weir/Colin Eggleston/Tony Williams/Michael Laughlin

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)
Long Weekend (1978)
Cassandra (1986)
Innocent Prey (1984)
Nightmares (1980)
Next of Kin (1982)
Bio-Dead (2009)
Strange Behavior (1981)

Life affirming Austrians Michael Haneke, Severin Fiala, Veronika Franz, and an exciting, uplifting mystery entry to be announced!

Funny Games
Funny Games US
Benny's Video
Ich Seh ich seh
The Lodge

Czech This Out Jurai Herz/Jan Swankmayr/Jiri Barta/Jaromil Jires

Passage (1997)
The Ninth Heart (1979)
The Cremator (1969)
Alice (1988)
Lunacy (2005)
Little Otik (2000)
Krysar (1985)
Toys in the Attic (2012)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 27, 2022

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm relieved to not be on the Council because it means I've resisted the urge to post too much. And I don't like pitching teams because my brain doesn't work that way. But I'm definitely looking forward to watching the movies and chatting and voting again!!!

Goat I like the way you broke down the schedule, I think it's a good idea. :)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Quick question- is it that you can renominate any director right now regardless of who originally nominated them but can only renominate your own teams? Also you can nominate new directors but not new teams?

Thanks!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

Quick question- is it that you can renominate any director right now regardless of who originally nominated them but can only renominate your own teams? Also you can nominate new directors but not new teams?

Thanks!

You can nominate any solo director now. New or old. Someone you nominated in the past or not. If you think they should be in you can do it.

You can renominate teams you nominated but only 5 of them and you can’t add directors to them.

When the draft starts you can nominate new teams, renominate teams beyond that 5, or add/drop directors from the 5. One team a day per poster.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is absolutely fascinating and I'm glad to be on the ground floor.

I also am nowhere near smart enough to understand anything so I'm just gonna lurk for a bit.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

You can nominate any solo director now. New or old. Someone you nominated in the past or not. If you think they should be in you can do it.

You can renominate teams you nominated but only 5 of them and you can’t add directors to them.

When the draft starts you can nominate new teams, renominate teams beyond that 5, or add/drop directors from the 5. One team a day per poster.

Thanks!

I’d like to renominate
Charles Band
James Wan

And nominate
John Carl Buechler
Troll (1986)
Cellar Dweller (1987)
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
Ghoulies Go to College (1990)
Watchers 4 (1998)
Deep Freeze (2001)
Curse of the Forty-Niner (2002)
The Strange Case of Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde (2006)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2022

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is absolutely fascinating and I'm glad to be on the ground floor.

I also am nowhere near smart enough to understand anything so I'm just gonna lurk for a bit.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm vaguely interested and read the first post and I still don't really get what's going on.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You build a team of movies by picking directors, and all their horror/close enough to horror movies are added to the team. 6 movies minimum, 10 max (some technical leeway, see detailed rules). Only movies that have not been featured yet in Bracketology. Two teams are randomly pitted against each other, each with a randomly chosen movie. People watch movies, vote for what they enjoy more. Winner advances to next round.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

I would like to nominate a team...

Silent but Deadly

Anthony Asquith
A Cottage on Dartmoor (1929)

Rex Ingram
The Magician (1926)

Benjamin Christensen
Seven Footprints to Satan (1929)
Häxan (1922)

Paul Leni
The Last Warning (1928)
Waxworks (1924)
The Man Who Laughs (1928)
The Cat and the Canary (1927)

That is all :spooky:

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

married but discreet posted:

You build a team of movies by picking directors, and all their horror/close enough to horror movies are added to the team. 6 movies minimum, 10 max (some technical leeway, see detailed rules). Only movies that have not been featured yet in Bracketology. Two teams are randomly pitted against each other, each with a randomly chosen movie. People watch movies, vote for what they enjoy more. Winner advances to next round.

I think the part I was missing was that the teams/directors are claimed by one poster. So we put together a short list of directors whose movies fit together (and who haven't already been posted by somebody else), then list all their horror-ish movies that aren't already on the Letterboxd Master List from the first post? How many teams do folks typically put together?

deety fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 28, 2022

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Right now we're only putting forward up to five teams before the drafting begins, but there's no limit really, some people make a few teams, and some make dozens. At the end of the drafting period we all vote and only 64 entries go forward, so don't feel like you need to limit yourself. It helps to be strategic though, if you flood the entries with teams there's a greater chance that they'll wash out your stronger teams, and they won't be voted for.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scumfuck Princess posted:

Right now we're only putting forward up to five teams before the drafting begins, but there's no limit really, some people make a few teams, and some make dozens. At the end of the drafting period we all vote and only 64 entries go forward, so don't feel like you need to limit yourself. It helps to be strategic though, if you flood the entries with teams there's a greater chance that they'll wash out your stronger teams, and they won't be voted for.

Holy poo poo balls.

I have some serious time with imdb and google sheets coming up, looks like.

Thanks for the explanation.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I thought right now we were only re-nominating our old teams, no new teams. That comes later.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Ah poo poo, my bad.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

How are anthology films with different directors treated if all the shorts are horror? Can they be on a solo director team? Or do we need a dedicated anthology team for grab bags?

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

I believe we're allowed to ignore anthology films if multiple directors are involved, for the sake of simplicity and fairness. Conceivably you could have an all-anthology team? Goat can probably say if it'd be explicitly against the rules, but if the council is cool with it, and people ultimately vote for it, it seems fine.

E: And I would like to nominate Family Friendly because I want Goat to watch Princess Mononoke already

Hayao Miyazaki
Princess Mononoke

Henry Selick
Coraline
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nick Park
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Barry Sonnenfeld
The Addams Family
Addams Family Values

Jules Bass & Arthur Rankin, Jr.
The Last Unicorn

Scumfuck Princess fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 28, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samfucius posted:

How are anthology films with different directors treated if all the shorts are horror? Can they be on a solo director team? Or do we need a dedicated anthology team for grab bags?

It’s a grey area that hasn’t really come up yet but here’s my thoughts:

- You don’t have to include it with the filmography of one of its directors. You can if you want but you don’t have to.

- If you put it on a team at least one of the directors has to be fully represented and if you have two you gotta do their library. No cherry picking films. But you don’t have to add every director from the anthology. You can if you see fit but it’s not required.

- if two people want the same anthology on two directors nominations/teams… first come first serve? Or we just put the movie on both and see which draws first? Not sure. It hasn’t come up.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Cool. This was really a question for later because it's for a new dual-director team, and they're both on the anthology, but so are others. I'll wait for the new-team-nominations to open up

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hey STAC, I was trying to make sure I didn't repeat movies, and I think the Cumulative Movies tab on the spreadsheet is incomplete. I was specifically looking for Dangerous Seductress that we had this year and it wasn't on there, but it was listed under the cumulative teams sheet. I don't know if others are missing as well. I'd love to use the letterboxd list instead but it doesn't seem to be searchable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ll double check it later. Sorry about that. I kind of crashed hard before I finished updating the spreadsheet and didn’t remember where I left off. I’ll try and make sense of it tonight.

For the Letterboxd List if you switch it to the line by line mode instead of the graph you can do a search but only if the page you’ve got. What I do is like the list and then when I go to the movie I can see if it’s on any of the lists I’ve liked or not.

But sorry about that. I’ll work on it tonight.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

You already do so much, thanks!

It's a super valuable tool for the new people.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I would like to nominate David DeCoteau.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Scumfuck Princess posted:

I believe we're allowed to ignore anthology films if multiple directors are involved, for the sake of simplicity and fairness. Conceivably you could have an all-anthology team? Goat can probably say if it'd be explicitly against the rules, but if the council is cool with it, and people ultimately vote for it, it seems fine.

E: And I would like to nominate Family Friendly because I want Goat to watch Princess Mononoke already

Hayao Miyazaki
Princess Mononoke

Henry Selick
Coraline
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nick Park
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Barry Sonnenfeld
The Addams Family
Addams Family Values

Jules Bass & Arthur Rankin, Jr.
The Last Unicorn

Just a head's up Selick released a new film this year Wendell & Wild. Still good, just letting you know it got added.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'd love to nominate Adam Wingard, but I'd also like to nominate Ti West and he has only five eligible films so I think they're going to have to be a team. Makes sense, they've worked together at least three times.

For a real nomination, I know he's 0/3 but I'd like to nominate Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Happy to be back!

I'd definitely like to re-nominate my two teams from last year that didn't get a fair shake:

Tales From the Necronomicon(Soavi, Gordon, Raimi):

Cemetery Man
The Church
The Sect
Castle Freak
Legend of the Christmas Witch
Dreams in the Witch House
Black Cat
King of Ants
Evil Dead
The Gift

Steves Monster Blockbusters(Spielberg and Sommers):

Jaws
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Duel
The Mummy
Deep Rising
Van Helsing
Odd Thomas
The Mummy Returns

I'll have to try to put together a few more teams as well because I know in advance that nobody is gonna vote for Spielberg and Sommers, for understandable reasons. I love the idea of that team though.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I know in advance that nobody is gonna vote for Spielberg and Sommers, for understandable reasons. I love the idea of that team though.

I was looking up Sommers today to see if he had enough horror to be eligible. Don't count yourself out!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samfucius posted:

I was looking up Sommers today to see if he had enough horror to be eligible. Don't count yourself out!

Actually the truth of it is that people did vote for the team enough that they made it into the field of 64 last year, but then Spielberg fell victim to the lovely TV movie curse that we had going on and we were out in the first round.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

Just a head's up Selick released a new film this year Wendell & Wild. Still good, just letting you know it got added.

The more the merrier 🥰

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna renominate my "Chucky & His Pals" team from the last bracket.

Tom Holland

Child's Play (1988)
Fright Night (1985)
Thinner (1996)

John Lafia

Child's Play 2
Man's Best Friend
(1993)

Ronny Yu

Bride of Chucky
Freddy vs. Jason

Don Mancini

Seed of Chucky
Curse of Chucky
Cult of Chucky

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating the horror filmography of Alan Smithee, the director who's not a real person, but a name that used to be assigned to films from which the actual director insisted their name be removed.

Nominating the horror films of Poj Arnon, the Thai director responsible for the wonderfully campy Oh My Ghost! series.

Nominating the horror films of Ratno Timoer, the Indonesian director behind the absolutely wild The Devil's Sword.

Nominating the horror films of Takashi Shimizu, the director behind the Ju-On series.

Nominating the horror films of Noboru Iguchi, the director behind nutty stuff like RoboGeisha, Zombie rear end, and The Machine Girl.

And renominating Team Tomie (And Pals)
1. Tomie vs. Tomie (2007; dir. Tomohiro Kubo)
2. Tomie: Forbidden Fruit (2002; dir. Shun Nakahara)
3. Tomie: Replay (2000; dir. Fujiro Mitsuishi)
4. Tomie: Another Face (1999; dir. Toshiro Inomata)
5. Tomie (1999; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
6. Tomie: Beginning (2005; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
7. Tomie: Revenge (2005; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
8. Apartment 1303 (2007; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
9. Shrill Cries of Summer (2008; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
10. Tokyo Psycho (2004; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
11. Shrill Cries: Reshuffle (2009; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
12. The Groaning Drain (2004; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
13. 9+1 (2008; dir. Ataru Oikawa)

Also renominating Team Funny Folks
1. Harlequin (1980; dir. Simon Wincer)
2. The Laughing Dead (1989; dir. Somtow Sucharitkul)
3. Clown (2014; dir. Jon Watts)
4. Bad Milo! (2013; dir. Jacob Vaughan)
5. Funny Man (1994; dir. Simon Sprackling)
6. Eat and Run (1987; dir. Christopher Hart)
7. Dr. Giggles (1992; dir. Manny Coto)
8. Playroom (1990; dir. Manny Coto)
9. The Erotic Circus (1969; dir. Henri Pachard)
10. You'll Find Out (1940; dir. David Butler)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Nominating the horror films of Noboru Iguchi, the director behind nutty stuff like RoboGeisha, Zombie rear end, and The Machine Girl.

You cad! I was gonna nominate him in a team with Yoshihiro Nishimura, who doesn't have enough eligible horror by himself. They're also both in the ABCs of Death 1.

(You can have him, I'm just glad there's another person who will push to have him in the tournament)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Happy to be back!

I'd definitely like to re-nominate my two teams from last year that didn't get a fair shake:

Tales From the Necronomicon(Soavi, Gordon, Raimi):

Cemetery Man
The Church
The Sect
Castle Freak
Legend of the Christmas Witch
Dreams in the Witch House
Black Cat
King of Ants
Evil Dead
The Gift

Soavi was already nominated as a solo director, but it looks like he doesn’t have enough movies left to make the cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had somehow missed mbds noms (probably me blocking them out) but Basebf should get first dibs since he was on a legacy team. So he has first rights until the draft starts. I’ll double check that all later and update the sheet.