Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It is!

Adding to Predation's Dead:

Duncan Jones - Moon
Shane Meadows - Dead Man's Shoes
Alfonso Cuarón - Children of Men
Liam Gavin - A Dark Song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Mostly Mock Docs

Charles B. Pierce - The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972); The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976); The Evictors (1979); Boggy Creek 2: And the Legend Continues (1984)
Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel, & Benoît Poelvoorde - Man Bites Dog (1992)
Zak Penn - Incident at Loch Ness (2004)
Joel Anderson - Lake Mungo (2008)
Barry Levinson - The Bay (2012)
Phil Guidry, Simon Herbert, & David Whelan - Savageland (2015)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, The Draft nominations has begun!

Lets see if I can keep this simple.

- You can draft one team each day. Each day starts fresh at 12 noon EST.
- You can build a new team from scratch or add to an existing team. They count the same.
- If you have to fix a mistake it doesn't count as a new day/pick/round. If you just want to change your team on your own it does.
- At this stage you can add whatever directors you like as long as they haven’t already been nominated this year. Unnominated teams are no longer protected.
- You can still renominate up to 5 teams from last year at any time. But any additions or anything past 5 counts as a round/day.
- We'll do this until the 13th for 10 rounds/teams. After that there will be a few days of free for all where you can add whatever.
- Rounds/picks do accumulate so if you don't make a pick for the first two days you can make 3 on Day 3.

I hope that makes sense and everyone has fun.

On the 16th (or as soon as the Council have locked in the byes) we’ll start voting to see who makes the tournament. Voting will end the 26th and the tournament will begin the 31st. Assuming I can put it all together in that time schedule.

Council members, you can pick your byes any time you want. But for the sake of ease lets try to do it once.
married but discreet
Franchescanado
Basebf555
Samfucius
twernt
Scumfuck Princess
MacheteZombie
Kangra
Servoret
: Red Dusk (Konstantin Lopushansky and Piotr Szulkin)

Fran. MZ, and Kangra haven’t posted in here so I’ve PMed to make sure they know its happening. Hopefully they join us.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 4, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I debated my first pick a lot. I have a few high profile adds and a few team overhauls and a few sentimental favorites I’d be heartbroken to lose. And part of me feels like I could have let this one go but I made that decision last year and then get my draft board for this team cleaned out by Fran’s Femme Fatales. So I didn’t want to make that same mistake twice.

Ladies Night is my one only truly successful team and it means I have to keep replenishing it. And while I made a big list of candidates this year and planned to vet them and pick out the best… I did a bad job. I did watch enough that I liked to refill my team though. There’s still some holdover team members I haven’t watched yet. I’m dropping Evolution. Partially because I watched it and didn’t like it but mostly because Lucille Hadzihalilovic has two other films that sound like they might qualify and I don’t feel like having three french extremity films on my team even if Evolution did fit the general theme of the team of women bringing their vibe and voice hard. But I’ll be restocking huge as well including bringing back Ana Lily Amipour as she cranked out two new pieces in 2022. And a few other ladies I really vibed with this year.

Dropping
Lucille Hadzihalilovic

Adding
Ana Lily Amirpour’s The Outside and Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon
Mimi Cave’s Fresh
Charlotte Colbert’s She Will
Chloe Okuno’s Watcher

So 2022 version of the team?

Ladies Night XX (Emerald Fennell, Natalie Erika James, Jill Gevargizian, Natasha Kermani, Kate Mulleavy & Laura Mulleavy, Ana Lily Amirpour, Mimi Cave, Charlotte Colbert, and Chloe Okuno)

1. Promising Young Woman
2. Relic
3. The Stylist
4. Lucky
5. Woodshock
6. The Outside
7. Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon
8. Fresh
9. She Will
10. Watcher

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

deety posted:

Mostly Mock Docs

Charles B. Pierce - The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972); The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976); The Evictors (1979); Boggy Creek 2: And the Legend Continues (1984)
Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel, & Benoît Poelvoorde - Man Bites Dog (1992)
Zak Penn - Incident at Loch Ness (2004)
Joel Anderson - Lake Mungo (2008)
Barry Levinson - The Bay (2012)
Phil Guidry, Simon Herbert, & David Whelan - Savageland (2015)

This is a great team. I was sure we'd done Lake Mungo but master list says no. What an oversight!

e: Team Ladies Night rules too, great picks from the "set an alarm" gang :hfive:

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 3, 2022

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Never Going To Australia Peter Weir/Colin Eggleston/Tony Williams/Michael Laughlin

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)
Long Weekend (1978)
Cassandra (1986)
Innocent Prey (1984)
Nightmares (1980)
Next of Kin (1982)
Bio-Dead (2009)
Strange Behavior (1981)

edit: thats topping off the previously nominated legacy team with my previously illegal movies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Specifying the lineup for Team Sumptuously Stupid

1. The Cell (2000; dir. Tarsem Singh)
2. Thir13en Ghosts (2001; dir. Steve Beck)
3. Ghost Ship (2002; dir. Steve Beck)
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992; dir. Fran Rubel Kuzui)
5. The Haunting (1999; dir. Jan de Bont)
6. Anaconda (1997; dir. Luis Llosa)

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Scumfuck Princess posted:

I would like to nominate a team...

Silent but Deadly

Anthony Asquith
A Cottage on Dartmoor (1929)

Rex Ingram
The Magician (1926)

Benjamin Christensen
Seven Footprints to Satan (1929)
Häxan (1922)

Paul Leni
The Last Warning (1928)
Waxworks (1924)
The Man Who Laughs (1928)
The Cat and the Canary (1927)

That is all :spooky:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
As mentioned before, I'd love to nominate Adam Wingard and Ti West separately, but Ti doesn't have enough movies. Therefore:

#ThrowbackThursday

Adam Wingard
  • Godzilla vs. Kong
  • Blair Witch
  • You're Next
  • Death Note
  • The Guest
  • A Horrible Way to Die
  • Pop Skull

Ti West
  • Pearl
  • X
  • The Innkeepers
  • The House of the Devil
  • Trigger Man

Both
  • V/H/S
  • ABCs of Death

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 3, 2022

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I was going to save them for later, but considering today's World Cup result, it feels like the right time.

Dit is geen hel, dit is Nederland
The Dutch horror of Nico van den Brink, Christian Tafdrup, Dick Maas, Lodewijk Crijns, and Nick Jongerius, featuring two (two!) different movies that appear to be about evil elevators.

Directed by Nico van den Brink
Moloch - 2022

Directed by Christian Tafdrup
Speak No Evil aka Gæsterne - 2022

Directed by Dick Maas
The Lift aka De Lift - 1983
Amsterdamned - 1988
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Masks of Evil - 1999
Down - 2001
Saint aka Sint - 2010
Prey aka Prooi - 2016

Directed by Lodewijk Crijns
Tailgate aka Bumperkleef - 2019

Directed by Nick Jongerius
The Windmill Massacre - 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Small rule clarification. For the purpose of how I'm sorting teams into "Rookie" vs "Veterans" I'm not just going on the team name itself, but the directors. So basically my idea is that if 50% of a team is made up of veterans its a veteran team. So in this case #ThrowbackThursday while a new team would count as Veterans since Wingard and West not only have both been in the tourney but they've even teamed up before.

That's only really important as to which voting pool they go into but I wanted to be transparent.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Oh, I had no idea they'd been a team before, 2022 was my first time.

Does that mean I get another nomination today?

Edit: nevermind, reread the rules, only free nominations for teams from the last tournament not legacy teams

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 3, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samfucius posted:

Oh, I had no idea they'd been a team before, 2022 was my first time.

Does that mean I get another nomination today?

Nah. I had them together as a team as As Seen on VHS in '21 but then restructured the team without Wingard in '22 and didn't get a chance to renominate the team this year. So you just happened to put together a team that had been together in the past. No biggie. But both guys are vets so its a vet team. Make sense?

Hopefully you have better luck with then than I did.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Yep!

Looking at the master list neither of them have gotten any of their best films to play, hope it can happen this year!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was excited for Ti West to champion the As Seen on VHS with David Bruckner this year. But I didn't have room to renominate them and knew West probably wouldn't last with the buzz X and Pearl gave him. Godspeed. May the Goat Curse not follow them to your team.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

If I can get The Guest or The House of the Devil to play I'll call it a success.

Moomin Dreams
Nov 28, 2022

Hi! I’m very excited for the tournament. I watched all the movies last year with my husband but I didn’t get involved in the thread.

I have fond memories of going to questionable American remakes of Asian horror in the 2000's.

The Ring Cycle

Gore Verbinski's The Ring
Eric Valette's One Missed Call
Walter Salle's Dark Water
Jim Sonzero's Pulse
David Moreau/Xavier Palud's The Eye
Masayuki Ochiai's Shutter
Alexandre Aja's Mirrors
Yam Laranas' The Echo
Charles and Thomas Guard's The Uninvited

Any obvious ones that I missed are because someone else got 'em.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Moomin Dreams posted:

Hi! I’m very excited for the tournament. I watched all the movies last year with my husband but I didn’t get involved in the thread.

I have fond memories of going to questionable American remakes of Asian horror in the 2000's.

The Ring Cycle

Gore Verbinski's The Ring
Eric Valette's One Missed Call
Walter Salle's Dark Water
Jim Sonzero's Pulse
David Moreau/Xavier Palud's The Eye
Masayuki Ochiai's Shutter
Alexandre Aja's Mirrors
Yam Laranas' The Echo
Charles and Thomas Guard's The Uninvited

Any obvious ones that I missed are because someone else got 'em.

Unfortunately you fall victim to the "no cherry picking" rule. You have to include all eligible films from a director to use that director. In this case you got quite a few traps.

Gore Verbinski
The Ring
A Cure for Wellness
Pirates movies?

Eric Valette
One Missed Call
Malefique
Super Hybrid

Walter Salle
Dark Water

Jim Sonzero
Pulse

David Moreau/Xavier Palud's
The Eye
Them
Moreau also directed Alone but that’s a grey area you could skip since the dual director thing, but they both directed Them.

Masayuki Ochiai's
Shutter
13 other films

Alexandre Aja's
Mirrors
The Hills Have Eyes
Oxygen
High Tension
Piranha

Yam Laranas'
Aurora
The Road
The Echo (2008)
The Echo (2004)
Nightshift
Patient X
Abomination
Rooftop

Charles and Thomas Guard's
The Uninvited

Dark Water, Pulse, and The Uninvited are all fine on their own. If you can build from there or include some of the smaller filmographies there like Verbinski and Valette then the team can still roughly work. But it can't qualify as is. I'm sorry. Whatever you do this won't count as a new day/pick for you to tweak this team. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I don't want to discourage new participants. I know this part can be a frustrating learning curve for new folks.

Moomin Dreams
Nov 28, 2022

Ok! I didn’t realize, sorry! Never mind, I’ll figure it out later then :)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

That was a cool idea for a team. What happened to relaxing the no cherry picking rule? That was conceptually strong, not an attempt to win the tournament by grouping a bunch of bangers together.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Well I was hoping to be asleep but I guess I'll make the best of it.

Using my second nomination to add Alex Garland to this shambling Frankenstein:

Brutal Brits

Ben Wheatley, Neil Marshall, Remi Weekes and Alex Garland

A Field in England
Dog Soldiers
Doomsday
The Reckoning
The Lair
His House
Annihilation
Ex Machina
Men

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Servoret posted:

That was a cool idea for a team. What happened to relaxing the no cherry picking rule? That was conceptually strong, not an attempt to win the tournament by grouping a bunch of bangers together.

I mean, yeah, spoiler alert Moomin Dreams is my wife so I'm definitely biased but nobody would ever mistake the American remakes of Shutter or The Eye for cherry-picked strong films. They're weak as hell.

I'm glad we both understand the rules better now (I missed the entire drafting process last time) but this was absolutely not an attempt at a super team. We'll figure it out!

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Samfucius posted:

I mean, yeah, spoiler alert Moomin Dreams is my wife so I'm definitely biased but nobody would ever mistake the American remakes of Shutter or The Eye for cherry-picked strong films. They're weak as hell.

I'm glad we both understand the rules better now (I missed the entire drafting process last time) but this was absolutely not an attempt at a super team. We'll figure it out!

The constraints can lead to some interesting choices! I hope we see more nominations from both of you because I don't think anyone is going to complain about having more spook-a-doodles to choose form.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Samfucius posted:

As someone who's done a found footage team for the last two, I feel your pain. It's hard to stay on theme because directors like to branch out and you end up having to take films you like a lot less to stay true to the team concept.

I don't think anyone believes that this was an attempt to mislead people; every year since the team thing started we've had a similar innocent misunderstanding so I hope Moomin Dreams doesn't feel bad about this.

The thread can also be used as a sounding board for ideas so if she wants help workshopping a team then :justpost:

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

For my second nomination, I'd like to retool my Hey folks, it's folk horror! team.

Wyrd Woods and Macabre Magick
Folk and folk-adjacent horror from Erik Blomberg, Kåre Bergstrøm, James MacTaggart, Avery Crounse, Ryszard Bugajski, Lukas Feigelfeld, Rainer Sarnet, Paul Urkijo, Małgorzata Szumowska, and Emir Ezwan

* The White Reindeer aka Valkoinen peura - 1952 Directed by Erik Blomberg
* Lake of the Dead aka De dødes tjern - 1958 Directed by Kåre Bergstrøm 🆕
* Robin Redbreast - 1970 Directed by James MacTaggart
* Eyes of Fire - 1983 Directed by Avery Crounse 🆕
* Clearcut - 1991 Directed by Ryszard Bugajski 🆕
* Hagazussa - 2017 Directed by Lukas Feigelfeld
* November - 2017 Directed by Rainer Sarnet
* Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil aka Errementari - 2017 Directed by Paul Urkijo
* The Other Lamb - 2019 Directed by Małgorzata Szumowska
* Roh - 2019 Directed by Emir Ezwan 🆕

This frees up Viy (probably a better fit on another team) and Marketa Lazarová (not really horror).

twernt fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 4, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

twernt posted:

Wyrd Woods and Macabre Magick
Folk and folk-adjacent horror

I'm glad this team is back!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just to be clear.

A) each round starts at 12 noon EST. So the second round hasn’t begun yet. Those picks can stay and just go valid at 12. Just to clarify any potential problems down the road. That’s new this year so it will take some getting used to.

B) I in no way mean “no cherry picking” to be accusatory. It’s a somewhat confusing rule, or at least a learning curve and it can be frustrating. I think some degree of rules keep everything in some kind of order but I also try and stay loose. But that was a tough one. It’s a fun idea though so I hope it works out. And I just want everyone having fun and hate having to be a jerk shooting down teams.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The OP and the FAQ both say every 12 hours for draft picks

e: oh I see the bit about the new rule now. But yeah, that's why I barreled in at just after midnight with a second team, sorry. I'll quote the relevant sections so you can fix them, gimme a mo

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 4, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

loving FAQ. I knew I should have rewritten it. My bad. Guess I have todays project.

1 round/pick per day. Each day begins at 12 noon est. that’s new but I think it should encourage more involvement as people work out their teams.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

We talked it over and she's quite happy cutting out the more prolific directors. I'm a total insomniac and she's asleep, so I'm just putting what she wants here as a placeholder so other people can grab what she removed if they were interested, she'll claim this whenever she has a moment. If that rubs people the wrong way I'll just take the whole thing down. We have a couple busy work days ahead of us, I know she won't be jumping right back to post.

Thanks to STAC for putting in the work, you could have easily just said "hey a few of those guys have a lot more in their catalogue" and left it at that.

Moomin Dreams posted:

Gore Verbinski
The Ring
A Cure for Wellness

Eric Valette
One Missed Call
Malefique
Super Hybrid

Walter Salle
Dark Water

Jim Sonzero
Pulse

David Moreau/Xavier Palud's
The Eye
Them

Charles and Thomas Guard's
The Uninvited

She can put the Pirates films back in if need be, they're not really horror though.

Edit: misread time zones, tried to nominate early, sorry I live on the other side of the world

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 4, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

[*]Dec 4th 3rd noon EST: Any new teams can be nominated. New directors can also be added to old teams. You can only nominate/update a team every 12 hours.
[*]Dec 12th noon EST: 12 hour clock ends, anyone can nominate as many teams as they like.

and

STAC Goat posted:

Why can I only nominate a team every 12 hours?
Basically the idea is to avoid anyone spamming a bunch of teams and getting all the big movies and directors. I want to give everyone a chance to participate and brainstorm so making the people who have been planning teams for awhile have to sit and wait out a clock can hopefully help give everyone else time to come up with teams if they want. At least until enough time has passed and we think we can just let the over zealous people go wild. It also creates a kind of default “draft” scenario where you’re gonna have to prioritize your nominations. You’ll have to decide which you want to nominate first in the hopes that someone else doesn’t steal a director in the 12 hours you have to wait before your next pick. And I think drafts are fun.

Can we change our teams or trade directors around?
Absolutely. While the 12 hour clock is up you’ll have to stick with that but you can change your team around if you decide you’d like it differently and if someone picked a director you wanted and you can work it out with them to change that then its all fair game..

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

loving FAQ. I knew I should have rewritten it. My bad. Guess I have todays project.

1 round/pick per day. Each day begins at 12 noon est. that’s new but I think it should encourage more involvement as people work out their teams.

I think I've found the only bits that need editing for you. Sorry dude, it must seem like I'm driving a truck through your rules. I promise it's not on purpose!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No no. This is my fault. I rushed the thread up because I was feeling stuck and needed a jump start. I knew I should have taken the time to double check and rewrite things. I was just lazy/stuck. Sorry for the confusion.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Well me adding new directors to my legacy teams before the draft started was definitely my fault, I'm not letting you take that one!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samfucius posted:

We talked it over and she's quite happy cutting out the more prolific directors. I'm a total insomniac and she's asleep, so I'm just putting what she wants here as a placeholder so other people can grab what she removed if they were interested, she'll claim this whenever she has a moment. If that rubs people the wrong way I'll just take the whole thing down. We have a couple busy work days ahead of us, I know she won't be jumping right back to post.

Thanks to STAC for putting in the work, you could have easily just said "hey a few of those guys have a lot more in their catalogue" and left it at that.

She can put the Pirates films back in if need be, they're not really horror though.
This is good. I'm glad it worked out. Sorry I had to be the grinch.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm sure this one's going to go far in the tournament.

A Special Person Made This

Andrew Getty - The Evil Within (2017)
Fred Durst - The Fanatic (2019)
Glenn Danzig - Verotica (2019)
Glenn Danzig - Death Rider in the House of Vampires (2021)
Dasha Nekrasova - Scary of Sixty First (2021)
Dee Snyder John Pieplow - Strangeland (1998)

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 4, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, NOW the second "day/round" has begun. Brutal Brits and The Team Formerly Known As The Long Folk Horror Name But I'll Learn the New One or Try are now official.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All Hail Stephen King lost one huge movie in Dreamcatcher in last year’s tourney but will be replacing it with a pretty solid one in Brian De Palma’s Carrie! Honestly if I was smart I’d trim this team down and have one absolutely killer team. But what’s a Stephen King collection without some questionable additions?

All Hail Stephen King (Stephen King, Brian de Palma, Stanley Kubrick, Ralph S. Singleton, Rob Reiner, Taylor Hackford, Fraser Clarke Heston, Bryan Singer, and Andy Muschietti)

1) Maximum Overdrive
2) The Shining
3) Carrie
4) Graveyard Shift
5) Misery
6) Dolores Claiborne
7) Needful Things
8) Apt Pupil
9) It
10) It Chapter Two

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I'm glad this team is back!

:tipshat:

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, NOW the second "day/round" has begun. Brutal Brits and The Team Formerly Known As The Long Folk Horror Name But I'll Learn the New One or Try are now official.

Now we can pretend I did the thing at the right time and everyone is e-pals. Thanks Goat! You're not a grinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly if I was smart I’d trim this team down and have one absolutely killer team. But what’s a Stephen King collection without some questionable additions?

If it draws its worst film last then I might start believing in space turtles