Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

quote:

“You wouldn't always know it ,but it went up every year I was president,” he said to applause. “That whole, suddenly America's like the biggest oil producer and the biggest gas that was me, people.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wonder why the gop is always so hellbent on wrecking the postal service. old people love getting letters and pills and magazines and ballots in the mail. I get that abusing the commons is their party m.o. but that seems a little counter productive....

oh....

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

this guy's the worst!

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 98 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bump

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

bumping this because I finally unpacked my ornaments this year

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
TWO balls?!!!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Punished Turtle posted:

finally someone is doing some actual loving unpacking in this thread!!! thank you

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Punished Turtle posted:

nice

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Punished Turtle posted:

what's in the lower right partition

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Cuttlefush posted:

what's in the lower right partition

this lil fella

Weka
May 5, 2019

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy0KYeHFGIo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol comments disabled

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol imagine snitching for the fbi

Weka
May 5, 2019

yellowcar posted:

it's basically just unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

yellowcar posted:

haha yeah

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
so when are we unpacking?

Weka
May 5, 2019

As many know, Elon Musk purchased Twitter and as of late has opened the floodgates for right wing reactionaries who were previously banned to come flooding back into Twitter. This has been seen as a virtual "reprisal" of sorts, where the people who thought they were unjustly kicked off Twitter not only got to come back, but they are reveling in smug glee about leftists getting kicked off/driven out of Twitter.

Not surprisingly the nonexistent moderation and cultural shift in demographics have seen some stark changes on Twitter. Whereas before I'd see some pretty intense back and forth in threads, it's shifted in the direction of Facebook in tone:

There's far more echo chambers now than before. Now I totally get it didn't take Musk taking over Twitter for people to get rape threats, death threats, unsolicited dick pics, etc. But it has gotten even more ridiculously polarized than even before. And much like it's Facebook predecessor it seems to fall into the same disingenuous patterns.

The "I'm not touching you!" discourse" - So one thing people praise SA for among online communities is the understanding that moderation has to have nuance to it. The description people gave to me about this is that even if you have 500 explicit rules for behavior people will deliberately skate around them and rules lawyer their way into trolling. So moderation has to look at intent, and since right wing reactionaries operate in bad faith the only way to really get rid of them is to cut through their bullshit. With the changes to Twitter, it has allowed the proliferation of immense numbers of bad faith posting, but paradoxically it seems like they wouldn't be very well equipped to fight back. You see this quite a bit with arguments about the Colorado Springs shooting in particular. They'll all but directly say that the victims had it coming, but when you call them out on it they'll start sea lioning about you needing to prove they posted something direct about it. Ditto for throwing the "groomer" phrase around. They'll mean it in a very specific way, and when you try to pin them down about it they'll dance away like a bunch of eye floaties in your vision. One thing I've also been observing here is what happens if you do the same thing right back at them. It turns out they are typically unaware of what is going on and get caught in a "loop" when that happens.

The Internet Troll - Right wing social media discourse is by and large driven by trolling, particularly as of late. It's not so much about proving themselves right or coming up with productive solutions but instead "owning the libs". A lot of the toxic masculinity wrapped up in conservatism gets projected online. This manifests as a pattern where caring about others, empathy, vulnerability, uncertainty, etc are seen as weakness and attacked. Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game. I definitely saw this pattern play out early on in SA as well-simply caring about, well anything would get you mercilessly mocked. Strength was associated with both apathy and misanthropy. That said, I find conservatives themselves pretty quick to call others bots and trolls (similar to the NPC meme a while back). They can be surprisingly thin skinned as well. I noticed that being suitably annoying and persistent they can start whining that you are harassing them, and block/mute you.

Pronouns in bio- This is another puzzling and annoying thing I saw happen over the past few years on Twitter. If a person has pronouns listed in their bio there's almost a race to see who can dismiss them for it. It's such a weak, played out dig at someone. Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

new pbs documentary on the german american bund is premiering jan 23rd

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/nazi-town-usa/

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bump

Weka
May 5, 2019

Unless posted:

new pbs documentary on the german american bund is premiering jan 23rd

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/nazi-town-usa/

Did they post on twitter?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious what the terminal state of Twitter will be as it gets further and further radicalized. As time goes by it gets more right wing, more scammy, and more of an echo chamber. Where's the endpoint of this trajectory? I've been extremely fascinated by this transition.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I think it's a you problem. My twitter feed is half people designated as terrorists by the USA. Like dudes leading Iraqi PMF groups.
It is far and away the best mainstream social media platform for pro Palestinian and anti Zionism posting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Weka posted:

I think it's a you problem. My twitter feed is half people designated as terrorists by the USA. Like dudes leading Iraqi PMF groups.
It is far and away the best mainstream social media platform for pro Palestinian and anti Zionism posting.

You think so? I don't feel crazy to opine that Twitter was considerably better before Musk took over. A ton of left leaning Accts were either banned outright or left in disgust.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

they'll come crawling back

they all do

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some may disagree, but I feel that mockery and ostracism had a more powerful impact on reactionaries than people give credit for. We can't always rely on deplatformimg people but I noted that reactionaries are notoriously thin skinned.

There's a great poster, Grovelord Neato, who managed to get one of these chuds incredibly worked up rather effortlessly. I feel like the more people like him on Twitter the less power reactionaries have since they're always proverbially looking over their shoulder. Even today with their little echo chamber they'll still censor a lot of their slurs which indicates they are not 100% comfortable with ruling the discourse,

Weka
May 5, 2019

Panfilo posted:

You think so? I don't feel crazy to opine that Twitter was considerably better before Musk took over. A ton of left leaning Accts were either banned outright or left in disgust.

When you say left leaning do you mean liberals? Perhaps you could give some concrete examples.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bump

Really want to get to the bottom of this. Is there a rightward shift on Twitter? Who are these left leaning people leaving in droves?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Weka posted:

Bump

Really want to get to the bottom of this. Is there a rightward shift on Twitter? Who are these left leaning people leaving in droves?

america's been shifting rightward since the civil rights movement and the antiwar movement as collective punishment for some people thinking black people should have rights or that scorched earth imperialism is bad. it stands to reason that american things, like american social media, also shift rightward. facebook used to be less weird than it is, nextdoor didn't used to exist, if myspace were still a thing I'm sure it would be weirder too.

there may also be a demographic thing were technology becomes more common place and more broadly accessible. hence old conservative people going online in ways they haven't before. along a similar line, gen-x has already hit its brain smoothing age range, millennials aren't far behind.

Weka
May 5, 2019

While twitter may be American owned and Americans may be the single largest national demographic, only about 27% of twitter users are American, it is a global platform.

Regardless, a rightward shift in the same people is not what is being proposed, rather that some left leaning fellows have left, willingly or not. I would like a specific example or two from OP.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Panfilo posted:

Some may disagree, but I feel that mockery and ostracism had a more powerful impact on reactionaries than people give credit for. We can't always rely on deplatformimg people but I noted that reactionaries are notoriously thin skinned.

There's a great poster, Grovelord Neato, who managed to get one of these chuds incredibly worked up rather effortlessly. I feel like the more people like him on Twitter the less power reactionaries have since they're always proverbially looking over their shoulder. Even today with their little echo chamber they'll still censor a lot of their slurs which indicates they are not 100% comfortable with ruling the discourse,

bro your brain is cooking, id recommend not going the website X.com

moreover, free croup

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Weka posted:

While twitter may be American owned and Americans may be the single largest national demographic, only about 27% of twitter users are American, it is a global platform.

Regardless, a rightward shift in the same people is not what is being proposed, rather that some left leaning fellows have left, willingly or not. I would like a specific example or two from OP.
https://lithub.com/elon-musk-listens-to-professional-troll-andy-ngo-and-bans-anarchist-publisher-from-twitter/
Chad Loder and Vishal Singh, to name a few. When Elon Musk took over many prominent alt right accounts basically sicced Musk on these antifascist journalists to get them banned in retaliation for their journalism.

The other issue was the change to verification, which became a pay-to-play signal boost. A lot of formerly verified leftist accounts didn't want to pay Musk on principle but the alt right types that had been formerly banned were very enthusiastic about signing up. This created a knock on effect where leftist accounts were indirectly deplatformed as a result of this policy.

And in spite of the updated ToS, it is rather unclear of just what will get a user banned on Twitter.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

fkd up this guy left X, but that’s life in right wing hellworld

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pretty sure it's a different Chad Loder. I was sad to see him go, he posted a lot about what was happening during the George Floyd protests and stuff.

There's still a few folks like this still going strong on Twitter but they are few and far between.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yellowcar posted:

I'm gonna snitch to the FBI that The Russians are in control of Occupy Democrats

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure it's a different Chad Loder.

yeah, that's his brother, skid

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just got reminded that Kennedy the mtv lady turned into a fox news talking head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

she was always a fox