Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?
i believe in the power of immanent critique, to be presuppositionless and let things be their own undoing.

the structure and incentives of a platform also shape behavior and the culture of the platform, like how reddit's upvotes produce a particular culture there, how SA's system produces a particular culture that is unlike reddit or twitter or 4chan. politically, the left and right can be both shaped by twitter's structural and platform incentives and so ideologies on both the left and right express themselves in ways that bend to those incentives (instant gratification and spectacle), but i think it's more common on the right, as they tend to be idealists and not materialists and social media is where politics go to de-materialize.

in the past few weeks we've see this (not very popular, but well-meaning if contrarian) viewpoint among some liberals that "we should stay on twitter and fight." but the metrics of success on twitter are not necessarily the metrics of success the left in particular should consider to be the most important for their movement. and i think just dropping out of the game altogether is not particularly "radical" but being able to drop it demonstrates more political will and independence of mind and spirit than staying up all night posting because the war will be lost if you don't. that war just isn't our war.

there has also been this debate about "should leftists go on tucker carlson." the problem is that carlson wants leftists to go on there to attack AOC from the left, and within its own scope that leftist could be right. but that's not the reason why carlson is having such a leftist on his show, he wants to take her down "from the left" to help move the country in a reactionary direction. so what can seem like a left-wing course of action in form can be right-wing in essence. i don't think that means a leftist should never go on the show. there was one example where it worked well i think, which was christian smalls going on there to push the amazon union while brushing off carlson's attempts to bait him into doing what i just described -- that is he hijacked the platform and used it for his purposes instead of doing what carlson "wanted him to do," even though he could've gotten more attention if he just blasted AOC about it. his metrics of success were not the same as carlson's.

which is also the only reason to use twitter in a political way as far as i see it. you could use it to spread propaganda but what twitter counts as successful isn't what i think we should necessarily consider to be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game.
see, here, the reason they're like this is because musk's right-wing acolytes are not as successful as they think they should be according to twitter's own logic. they're not getting as much engagement as they think they should, and other people on the site aren't seeing their hilarious m'lady tweets which obviously (to them) deserve to be popular. and it's all because of a conspiracy by pink-haired lesbians who throttled them -- and now they're throwing them off! but this whole time they've taken those metrics as the standard of success more seriously than anyone else.