Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Has anybody tried packing up all this right wing online culture and communication on social media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no! no you shithead! you're supposed to be UNpacking it!!

nice try fascist, I say we leave it in it's box.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Just when we finally packed thing up, somebody has unpacked right wing online culture and communication on social media all through this thread.

Weka
May 5, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The topic is fine, it's that OP and others are people who have driven themselves schizophrenic freaking out at random right wingers on twitter. So there is no point in earnest discussion.

Ben Shapiro saying "trans people should be killed" is only a small portion of this entire right winged media/state apparatus that wants to subjugate anyone who isn't a straight white dude from this planet.

It wants to subjugate most straight white dudes too.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Panfilo posted:

I don't think it wise to dismiss the small number of people saying the quiet part out loud. Understanding the mechanisms in which they launder these ideas is critical to preventing further harm. I think a nuanced discussion can be had about it here.

There's a significant amount of right wing discourse that wants to paint their detractors as schizophrenic and paranoid. It intimidates leftists into either being silent or simply avoid the discussion altogether, which just cedes that space to the right.

All this stuff applies to left liberals, perhaps even more. America's most progressive president openly threatened to then bombed a multi billion dollar piece of energy infrastructure and pointing this out will get you called a nazi conspiracy theorist.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Panfilo posted:

A lot of them don't value art as a whole-it's not tangible or productive enough for them, and more often than not a decadent form of degeneracy that can only exist in an umbrella of entitlement and privilege.

They're probably right.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm just so tired of all this unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang you fellows have bumped this box over. Well that's one way to go about unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979?lang=en

Weka
May 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/FT/status/752890082441457665

Weka
May 5, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

thats an old tweet

Sorry

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1632508790120521730

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've finished unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media already, but I don't want to spoil it for you guys

Judging by the smell it's too late.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pew Research posted:

Politics on Twitter: One-Third of Tweets From U.S. Adults Are Political
Those ages 50 and older produce 78% of all political tweets from U.S. adults
https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/06/16/politics-on-twitter-one-third-of-tweets-from-u-s-adults-are-political/

Weka
May 5, 2019

I have posted many tweets from right wing political figures like bernie sanders.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Here's some right wing online culture and communication on social media I'd like to unpack.

Weka
May 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1639048129407488001

Weka
May 5, 2019

Could you at least get a new Trump mispelling CKF?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

this thread is mean lol

Perhaps you could help me get it back on track. What do you think about some of the tweets I posted from members of America's right wing government?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang I haven't unpacked any right wing online culture or communications on social media for ages.

Weka
May 5, 2019

FINALLY, through ups and downs, unpacking and repacking, we're gonna get this right wing online culture and communication on social media all completely unpacked?

Weka
May 5, 2019

The chuds are eating babies now.

Weka
May 5, 2019

dang fellows, we haven't unpacked right wing online culture and commkunication on social media in ages.

Weka
May 5, 2019

when he's right, he's right

Weka
May 5, 2019

nice username 'studs n chuds'.

Weka
May 5, 2019

See that's how one should unpack right wing online culture and communication on social media

Weka
May 5, 2019

While I agree that right wing blogger and agent of the American security state Brown Moses is part of an awful right wing online culture and communication on social media that could do with some unpacking, this article seems to be one of his websites more innocuous ones.

Weka
May 5, 2019

This thread is for unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media not posting about Nixon and revealing that there are half a dozen nazis in America's military.

Weka
May 5, 2019

For an example of unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media, here is a missive from a major right wing political figure on "X", an online social media platform, in which it appears once we unpack it that he is calling for his god, mammon, to seize upon and devour the people of Hawaii.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1691979407554904325

Weka
May 5, 2019

Fear not, gentle reader, for the internets right wing denizens don't have it all their own way. Here is the X account of user @Hitler.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Unless, why are you so concerned with these relative nobodies instead of the most powerful people in America? Both are right wing and it's the second group who are responsible for millions of deaths.

Weka
May 5, 2019

quote:

To the editor of The Nation:

Sir: In your issue of June 3 Mr. Louis Fischer says that “Hitler spent six months in a palace prison and was then released.” I was in prison at Sandberg, a.S. thirteen months in all. A special decree on April 1, 1924, deprived me of all previous privileges. All privileges therefore granted the prisoner were either abridged or wiped out. Count Arco was still benefited by these alleviations.

Uffing, June 28

Adolf Hitler

Unless posted:

i think it’s myopic and ineffectual to lump both american parties together

the bush years woulda been vastly different if the supreme court ruled different in bush v. gore, added bonus of shaping policy that accepted anthropocentric climate change 23 years ago

friends of mine have been shot at in their homes by these people

America still would have invaded Afghanistan. Friends of yours have been shot at? How many deaths did Obama & co cause in Libya? The death toll from his work there is still mounting. To the rest of the world, it's just a selection of Hitlers.

Weka
May 5, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

its funny that one has only to look at the years 2008 - 2016 to see how dogshit wrong this is

or you know, today

Weka
May 5, 2019

mark immune posted:

dude you are such a loving retard lol

whomst amongst us

Weka
May 5, 2019

this guy's the worst!

Weka
May 5, 2019

TWO balls?!!!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Weka
May 5, 2019

yellowcar posted:

lol imagine snitching for the fbi

it's basically just unpacking right wing online culture and communication on social media

Weka
May 5, 2019

As many know, Elon Musk purchased Twitter and as of late has opened the floodgates for right wing reactionaries who were previously banned to come flooding back into Twitter. This has been seen as a virtual "reprisal" of sorts, where the people who thought they were unjustly kicked off Twitter not only got to come back, but they are reveling in smug glee about leftists getting kicked off/driven out of Twitter.

Not surprisingly the nonexistent moderation and cultural shift in demographics have seen some stark changes on Twitter. Whereas before I'd see some pretty intense back and forth in threads, it's shifted in the direction of Facebook in tone:

There's far more echo chambers now than before. Now I totally get it didn't take Musk taking over Twitter for people to get rape threats, death threats, unsolicited dick pics, etc. But it has gotten even more ridiculously polarized than even before. And much like it's Facebook predecessor it seems to fall into the same disingenuous patterns.

The "I'm not touching you!" discourse" - So one thing people praise SA for among online communities is the understanding that moderation has to have nuance to it. The description people gave to me about this is that even if you have 500 explicit rules for behavior people will deliberately skate around them and rules lawyer their way into trolling. So moderation has to look at intent, and since right wing reactionaries operate in bad faith the only way to really get rid of them is to cut through their bullshit. With the changes to Twitter, it has allowed the proliferation of immense numbers of bad faith posting, but paradoxically it seems like they wouldn't be very well equipped to fight back. You see this quite a bit with arguments about the Colorado Springs shooting in particular. They'll all but directly say that the victims had it coming, but when you call them out on it they'll start sea lioning about you needing to prove they posted something direct about it. Ditto for throwing the "groomer" phrase around. They'll mean it in a very specific way, and when you try to pin them down about it they'll dance away like a bunch of eye floaties in your vision. One thing I've also been observing here is what happens if you do the same thing right back at them. It turns out they are typically unaware of what is going on and get caught in a "loop" when that happens.

The Internet Troll - Right wing social media discourse is by and large driven by trolling, particularly as of late. It's not so much about proving themselves right or coming up with productive solutions but instead "owning the libs". A lot of the toxic masculinity wrapped up in conservatism gets projected online. This manifests as a pattern where caring about others, empathy, vulnerability, uncertainty, etc are seen as weakness and attacked. Currently a common target has been people upset that Musk bought Twitter. These people get portrayed as weak cowards, unjustly protected by Twitter's previous administration and now fair game. I definitely saw this pattern play out early on in SA as well-simply caring about, well anything would get you mercilessly mocked. Strength was associated with both apathy and misanthropy. That said, I find conservatives themselves pretty quick to call others bots and trolls (similar to the NPC meme a while back). They can be surprisingly thin skinned as well. I noticed that being suitably annoying and persistent they can start whining that you are harassing them, and block/mute you.

Pronouns in bio- This is another puzzling and annoying thing I saw happen over the past few years on Twitter. If a person has pronouns listed in their bio there's almost a race to see who can dismiss them for it. It's such a weak, played out dig at someone. Now mind you I'm not shocked at how cruel and crass people can be online but rather... Disappointed in how uncreative they are about it. How do they expect you to respond to this? The same way we respond to a skunk flipping it's tail up menacingly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Unless posted:

new pbs documentary on the german american bund is premiering jan 23rd

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/nazi-town-usa/

Did they post on twitter?