Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's a really funny post. It goes from "it's CURRENT YEAR, i shouldn't be fighting for that kind of things!" to "we must fight" in one paragraph.

I have always hated the "this is the current date" argument.
Assuming it's made in good faith, it's so weak and pointless and betrays such a serious lack of understanding of history.
In bad faith, it's just a poor excuse to scold people and I don't know if you noticed but scolding doesn't really work that well.
I am sure some Germans were going on about how "they can't believe it's happening now when we are in the third decade of the 20th century" while actual nazis were doing the most vile poo poo.
The French guillotined their king in 1793 and abolished monarchy then we had THREE more kings the following century(and 2 extra republics and 2 emperors too).
And there were indeed many people saying "No General Bonaparte, you can't DO that, it's the 9th of Thermidor of the year II" but the soldiers took them away from the parliament and straight to jail.

Implying that progress can only go forward and that the calendar date gives you some kind of progress protection field preventing reactionary poo poo to come back is extremely cute but ultimately insane. I mean some people may be dumb enough to fall for it but clearly, it's not working on the people doing the regressive poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

lmao at “leftists never attack a bank”

maybe in the USA

Sad but true: the communards in 1871 Paris didn't burn the Bank of France(which was a Privatly Owned Bank at the time). They litterrally spent their time debating destroying a statue of Napoleon. So he sadly got a motherfucking point there about terrible priorities amongst the leftwing.
edit:

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 05:21 on Apr 16, 2024