Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In addition to the stuff below, I think it's kind of dumb to just use the term "the right" in reference to people on the more right-wing side of the US culture war. All mainstream political positions in the US are right-wing. We're just manipulated by our media/culture into centering everything on a handful of social issues (because those are the only real difference between US political factions) - if you're against openly using slurs against LGBT people, you're "on the left" even if 95% of your political views are in full support of capitalism and US imperialism.

edit: Also, this "let's analyze right-wing behavior" stuff is all a very thinly veiled excuse to pay attention to stuff that you think is entertaining. It's not just "enjoying making fun of dumb people online" - I'm doing politics and discourse! It's serious! At least the right-wingers acknowledge that they're just trying to "own the libs" instead of putting on this song and dance of "I'm analyzing the enemy's tweets so that I might better understand their ways..."

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

there has also been this debate about "should leftists go on tucker carlson." the problem is that carlson wants leftists to go on there to attack AOC from the left, and within its own scope that leftist could be right. but that's not the reason why carlson is having such a leftist on his show, he wants to take her down "from the left" to help move the country in a reactionary direction. so what can seem like a left-wing course of action in form can be right-wing in essence. i don't think that means a leftist should never go on the show. there was one example where it worked well i think, which was christian smalls going on there to push the amazon union while brushing off carlson's attempts to bait him into doing what i just described -- that is he hijacked the platform and used it for his purposes instead of doing what carlson "wanted him to do," even though he could've gotten more attention if he just blasted AOC about it. his metrics of success were not the same as carlson's.

IMO debating/arguing about this stuff is dumb in and of itself. It's just a bunch of navel-gazing about things that don't matter. It's completely irrelevant whether someone goes on Tucker Carlson. It isn't meaningfully changing anything, for better or for worse.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

in the past few weeks we've see this (not very popular, but well-meaning if contrarian) viewpoint among some liberals that "we should stay on twitter and fight." but the metrics of success on twitter are not necessarily the metrics of success the left in particular should consider to be the most important for their movement. and i think just dropping out of the game altogether is not particularly "radical" but being able to drop it demonstrates more political will and independence of mind and spirit than staying up all night posting because the war will be lost if you don't. that war just isn't our war.

The correct way to engage with Twitter is for all your posting to just be making fun of tweets people post in SA threads IMO

The actual answer is that this is the same as the stuff above - it simply doesn't matter at all, outside of whether it makes the person doing it happier (which it probably usually doesn't). If someone has fun yelling at conservatives online (and isn't just doing it because they're really mad), they may as well keep doing it. If they're not, they should stop doing the thing that is just making them mad and unhappy. Very simple!

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yellowcar posted:

lol imagine snitching for the fbi

I'm gonna snitch to the FBI that The Russians are in control of Occupy Democrats

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know he's not wrong I'm pretty sure but it's kinda lol seeing him spelling out such basic bitch poo poo we all figured out in five seconds

I guess that's liberal brain for ya.

The Right: *slams fist on table* god dammit, I was this close to succeeding via my strategy of masking my beliefs with Greco-Roman statue profile pictures, but I've been exposed!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is very cynical and pessimistic. I think it's probably unpacked, and even if it isn't, it probably will be soon.