Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you can return anything to TJs, even if you just didn't like it. the employees don't care at all

This is good to know! There have only been a couple products I've had that I just didn't dig, but there have been a bunch of things I wasn't willing to roll the dice on. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Here is another thing that sucks:

Tastes like the fryer oil crunchies you get in the bottom of a Long John Silver cardboard tray, but somehow not in a good way

mystes
May 31, 2006

Incremus posted:

Tastes like the fryer oil crunchies you get in the bottom of a Long John Silver cardboard tray, but somehow not in a good way
They also have cauliflower ones which are actually pretty decent imo

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation

Incremus posted:

Weirdly enough, frozen French fries and tater tots that are quite tasty are easy to come by. I've never come across a frozen latke that was any good. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Speaking of frozen potato products, I got these "Herbes de Provence Potato Wedges" a couple weeks ago that turned out absolutely fantastic in my air fryer but the next time I went back to trader joes they didn't have them any more :(

I guess they were apparently a limited time thing and they only had them for a couple months which I guess makes me feel happier than trader joes having had them for years and just discontinuing them right after I tried them

I guess I should see if the normal supermarket has something similar. I'm not sure if they were parfried or not.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 29, 2024

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i love trader jioes

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
About to eat some TJ's orange chicken with Japanese style fried rice hell yeah

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mystes posted:

Speaking of frozen potato products, I got these "Herbes de Provence Potato Wedges" a couple weeks ago that turned out absolutely fantastic in my air fryer but the next time I went back to trader joes they didn't have them any more :(

I guess they were apparently a limited time thing and they only had them for a couple months which I guess makes me feel happier than trader joes having had them for years and just discontinuing them right after I tried them

I guess I should see if the normal supermarket has something similar. I'm not sure if they were parfried or not.
I mean, … potatoes, oil, herb mix, plastic bag, cookie sheet, oven.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That orange chicken rules. There is even enough surplus sauce per serving to throw in a handful of steamed broccoli.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think the fake chicken one is also pretty good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I mean, … potatoes, oil, herb mix, plastic bag, cookie sheet, oven.
The result was much better than I've been able to get just air frying sliced potatoes coated in oil and herbs. The text on the front says "fried potatoes" so I'm guessing they probably are already par-fried, and to get the same result myself I would have to deep fry them (possibly at a lower temperature than normal deep frying like the method for french fries where you fry them twice).

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2024

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Weirdly enough, frozen French fries and tater tots that are quite tasty are easy to come by.
Yep. This was my reasoning in picking them up - their "handsome cut" potato fries and hash browns are both stellar. I will be on the lookout for their cauliflower latkes.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Going today to TJs. Any must have buys?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Joe Joes chocolate and peanut butter sandwich cookies are a must buy for me.

If you like frozen breaded fish the cod filets are great. Light coating, meaty.

Orange chicken, Japanese style fried rice.

The blue corn tortilla chips are perfect, and the restaurant style salsa is good. It's not hot though.

The Olive fougasse bread is delicious, and the 'Everything' style ciabatta rolls are good.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The trader joe’s brand lager is absolute dogshit. I was hoping for a solid lightish beery beer, but it’s sour and ugly.

Gonna give the generic modelo negro a shot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
Probation

Piggy Smalls posted:

Sublime ice cream sandwiches, and the lemon and shortbread ice cream if they have it (might be a little early in the year)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Had a Saffron Road frozen curry for lunch. Edible but dogshit compared to Mr. Joe.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

Head Bee Guy posted:

The trader joe’s brand lager is absolute dogshit. I was hoping for a solid lightish beery beer, but it’s sour and ugly.

Gonna give the generic modelo negro a shot.

i've given up and just buy the local stuff (rainier) whenever i'm there.

in other news i've become unexpectedly addicted to the chili onion crisp hummus.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yellow curry sauce
Boneless skinless chicken
Tofu
Potatoes

Pre cook potatoes and sauteed tofu till brown but light brown

Add all to yellow curry sauce with half a cup or so of oat milk (or preferred kind of mild that isn't cow mucus)

Cook on low-med for 30 mins.

Delicious

Salt added to taste.

Bonus points if over jasmine rice with stars in it during cook.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Piggy Smalls posted:

$2.75 for a ten pack of hash brown patties if you can live with yourself for being a union buster who’s crushing my abuelita into the dirt under his boot

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I miss their pomegranate limeade

they have pom juice and limeade but idk if mixing them is the same thing

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ignore_Me posted:

$2.75 for a ten pack of hash brown patties if you can live with yourself for being a union buster who’s crushing my abuelita into the dirt under his boot

Lo siento abuela

The hash browns are too drat good to pass up

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

These guys are so good. Had low expectations, which they vastly exceeded.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah they're sick, they just require some planning and then you gotta heat up an oven and poo poo first thing in the morning.

One morning when the kids were at Grandma's I managed to time it perfectly with leaving them on a making sheet in the oven to proof overnight and had the oven timed to turn on and bake a little longer than they call for since it had to heat up. Head downstairs and BAM fresh croissants.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I got this cheese and it's pretty good: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/ivys-reserve-somerset-red-cheese-078393

It's like a very intense cheddar. Unfortunately it's marked as "limited time"

I also tried this: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/brown-sugar-boba-mochi-076029

It's like daifuku except the filling is extremely mediocre and I wouldn't recommend it

Blackmore
Dec 28, 2012

Catch the Rainbow
The cream cheese+jalapeño wontons are incredible with their sweet thai chili sauce and a cold beer. Also like both samosas (haven’t tried fhe seasonal pumpkin flavor).

Also like to pick up the green juice drink they have when I poke my head in there, it has a bunch of veggies supposedly but it just tastes like apple juice and I’m fine with that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Honestly the filet mignon from Trader J's is pretty good. I'm grabbing 4 oz cuts for like 8 bucks a piece.

My mother decided to join me grocery shopping after Easter and was weirded out by how close contact people at TJs get and also the fact that it was as full as a bazaar the entire way through. Im parking my cart and walking to places grabbing handfuls of items and heading back while she's like this is nauseating to navigate lol

To the non TJ enjoyer the parking lot can seem very hostile.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even to a TJ regular a TJ parking lot is a nightmare. gently caress every TJs parking lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Even to a TJ regular a TJ parking lot is a nightmare. gently caress every TJs parking lot.

Pretty much the only one that wasn’t a poo poo show was the one in hermosa beach because they converted a Ralph’s grocery store to a TJs.

The store also rules because it’s like 2x the size it needs to be so everything inside is super spread out.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Blackmore posted:

samosas (haven’t tried fhe seasonal pumpkin flavor).

they’re real good

TJ’s had an own-brand green kombucha for a while that was really good. I would have that and the kati rolls for lunch all the time. :rip:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mystes posted:

The result was much better than I've been able to get just air frying sliced potatoes coated in oil and herbs.…
You need to parboil or just microwave with a little water in a sealed container first. Bonus points for violently shaking them to get a more interesting exterior texture, yet more bonus points for doing that with duck fat and the salt and spices.

On topic, the fermented Calabrian peppers are terrific, I’ve only seen them as either restaurant-sized tubs (one reason Queens Italian deli sandwiches rule) or as outrageously expensive little jars. Love this stuff:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Those are really good on sandwiches. Decent heat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Thinking to brave TJ’s to get some frozen samosas because all the regular stores around here decided to not stock samosas any more.