Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Smugworth posted:

It's fiesta night
Start out with some tortilla chips and elote dip

Have some enchiladas (better if you add some extra verde salsa and cheese)

The salsa Verde enchilada is my wife's favorite Monday lunch. We buy it weekly. It's super tasty and can be split in half.

Sometimes I feel like everyone is amped up inside the trader Joe's especially if you take a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When visiting NYC went to a Trader Joe’s for snacks and was concerned by the long line, but it moved surprisingly fast as they had like 22 checkout lines going. I like their hold the cone ice creams, especially the pumpkin ones.

Interesting Costco/Trader Joes alliance, in 2011 when WA state had a ballot measure to allow grocery stores to sell liquor, Costco was the biggest supporting donor and Trader Joe’s was second. Nearly $21 million to $50k, but still.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When visiting NYC went to a Trader Joe’s for snacks and was concerned by the long line, but it moved surprisingly fast as they had like 22 checkout lines going. I like their hold the cone ice creams, especially the pumpkin ones.

Interesting Costco/Trader Joes alliance, in 2011 when WA state had a ballot measure to allow grocery stores to sell liquor, Costco was the biggest supporting donor and Trader Joe’s was second. Nearly $21 million to $50k, but still.

I like that the uncle Joe's has baggers. Safeway always had no baggers and it's kind of annoying to bag groceries. Not because I'm lazy but because I don't do a good job at it lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Joe's samplers are real nice. I was given apple pie by a lovely trader Joe's crew member who talked me up about hiking.

A good Sunday night grocery shopping trip.

Pollo asado is one of my favorites to freeze and have ready to go any day with a simple defrost.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I get anxiety whenever I get to the line at mine. It's not crowded enough to always have a long consolidated line. So half the time, people start lining up behind individual registers. Half the time people try to form a single line that feeds all registers, and some group of customers are too oblivious or too much of assholes to go to the back and instead jump into one of the edge registers.
It feels like there's always a fight about to break out and I got to quickly assess which grocery items I'll use as a shield when some argument turns into the next mass shooting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Go Raw Trek Mix

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Trader Joe's.

They gifted us

and they've taken it away. Now fried eggs taste like ashes in my mouth.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Skewers with Mango Chutney

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
They discontinued their frozen chile relleno during the pandemic and I dont know if they ever brought it back.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Beachcomber posted:

Trader Joe's.

They gifted us

and they've taken it away. Now fried eggs taste like ashes in my mouth.

You can purchase European style butter at other stores.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My TJ’s opened a few years ago in an strip mall plaza and turned that plaza from awful to hellish. It’s one of those plazas that was never intended to handle the amount of traffic it now does (there are only two exits, and you can only access those exits via a single lane closest to the shops). So basically the constant flow of foot traffic into and out of TJ’s slows the exiting traffic to a crawl. This plaza also houses a Chik-Fil-A and a Starbucks. The Starbucks drive through exits into the exit lane opposite the TJs so you have a complete shutdown of traffic in between during busy times. The entire plaza is completely unusable between thanksgiving and Christmas, which sucks because that’s where the Jersey Mike’s is.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

For whatever reason every single TJ's parking lot and store is way too small for the amount of traffic but we all just keep going back don't we

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, my TJs parking lot is a fuckin deathtrap. Anyway the candy cane joejoe's are back but beware goons, at least at mine they're often sold out of the regular ones and just have tons of the gluten free kind, so if you're not paying attention yer gonna get lovely cookies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TJ's is a very exclusive grocery store. If you don't know what you want trust me the store hivemind will know instantly

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Smugworth posted:

For whatever reason every single TJ's parking lot and store is way too small for the amount of traffic but we all just keep going back don't we

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I just go to the Stop n Shops

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I really like the frozen snacks.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Their stores and parkings lots are too small on purpose, it has to do with how much they sell per square foot or something

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Haverchuck posted:

Their stores and parkings lots are too small on purpose, it has to do with how much they sell per square foot or something

From what I found it's apparently so they can fit into smaller areas - like strip mall stores - and therefore provide groceries in areas that wouldn't have room for a gigantic full service store with a full deli/butcher shop

Which makes sense actually - they're also pretty much always near or the cheapest option for produce and such at a much better quality than a target/walmart that has a grocery section as an afterthought

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I just go to the Stop n Shops

I drive past the Stop n Shop

with the radio on

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Their frozen mac and cheese is very good.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Isn't Traitor Joe's just ALDI for people that are scared to shop at ALDI?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chinatown posted:

Their frozen mac and cheese is very good.

Which one? The diner-style? Pepperoni pizza? Hatch chile? Reduced guilt?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Kinda. There are two Aldis, which were originally the same chain but there was a big schism in I think the 80s in Germany, so now there's Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord which are technically different companies doing basically the same thing. One of those operates in the US as Aldi, the other owns Trader Joes. TJs follows a lot of the basic principles behind the German Aldis, such as offering few alternatives/options and having everything possible be store-brand, but they're different companies owned by different people.

edit at least here Aldi basically only has stores in extremely lovely neighborhoods, but my understanding is elsewhere they're a "nicer" grocery brand

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 28, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Nah, very different experiences imo. Trader Joes is definitely more 'curated' than Aldi and Aldi has a lower price point on average. Also offers a wider range of stuff than TJ's - my local Aldi's will have cheap appliances, out door furniture, toys, and other weird non-food related stuff, where TJ's is pretty much groceries, some bath/cleaning goods, and a bunch of supplements.

Also Aldi produce routinely spoils really really fast in my experience.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I hate hate hate the local Aldi’s to the point where even though I know I could probably save 15-20% by shopping there, I just can’t deal with it. It’s TINY, even for an Aldi’s and always packed. Also the meat and produce suck so I’d need to go elsewhere for that anyway. Just not worth it imo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kinda. There are two Aldis, which were originally the same chain but there was a big schism in I think the 80s in Germany, so now there's Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord which are technically different companies doing basically the same thing. One of those operates in the US as Aldi, the other owns Trader Joes. TJs follows a lot of the basic principles behind the German Aldis, such as offering few alternatives/options and having everything possible be store-brand, but they're different companies owned by different people.

The company was owned by two brothers and split in 1960 due to them disagreeing on whether or not to sell cigarettes. Not for health reasons, but because one of the brothers believed that selling cigarettes would attract lowlife shoplifters to their stores.

Also, for some reason, Aldi is called Hofer in Austria and Slovenia.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My local Trader Joe’s is in the same shopping center as a ‘sco. It is a truly awful parking lot.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

My local Trader Joe’s is in the same shopping center as a ‘sco. It is a truly awful parking lot.

That would give it the best parking lot of any Trader Joe's ever. There are two relatively close to my house (within 30 minutes) and both have such lovely parking lots that I swore to never come back. That, and they're 20+ minutes away.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Glad to see some people are talking about the horror of the Trader Joe's parking lot. It's a devil's playground.

TJ's is good for snacks. I don't live close enough to one to make it my regular grocery store, but I like their chips and cookies. The vanilla Oreo type things are the best.

Apparently they have a podcast: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/podcast

I can only imagine it is for deranged people.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Doc Fission posted:

Glad to see some people are talking about the horror of the Trader Joe's parking lot. It's a devil's playground.

TJ's is good for snacks. I don't live close enough to one to make it my regular grocery store, but I like their chips and cookies. The vanilla Oreo type things are the best.

Apparently they have a podcast: https://www.traderjoes.com/home/podcast

I can only imagine it is for deranged people.

:stare:

One of my coworkers worked part time at Trader Joe's (there was no reason for her to do so, she was making 70k+ and was living with her parents) because she loved Trader Joe's so much. She would SO be over this.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Also the flowers are always nice. Sometimes I stop in and pick up some for my mother before a visit.

I think as a single person the prices and offerings are reasonable, but I can't imagine feeding a family on TJ's groceries - too little bang for your buck volume-wise IMO

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Everyone working at TJ's is happy, unlike Jeffrey's employees. :thunk:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Lady bagmo loves Trader Joe's a ton and I've grown to love them too, she even follows some TJ's instagrams and poo poo. There's a whole rear end subculture around finding and trying all of the limited edition stuff TJ's has

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Diamond Joe's .17C bananas. Inflation proof.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

apropos of nothing the trader joes holiday fearless flyer is out - they've also been online for a while now

Yes I am on the mailing list why do you ask

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol did not realize bad Trader Joe’s parking lots are a universal experience. The one I used to go to has excessively narrow lanes and people frequently stop to unload and block traffic, a friend got their car hit once by someone backing up there. Since moving I’m close to one that has a good parking lot, I think because it used to be a different type of supermarket. Guessing if TJ’s had built the location from scratch it would be a nightmare lot.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they usually carry this but its been hard to find lately. delicious.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol did not realize bad Trader Joe’s parking lots are a universal experience. The one I used to go to has excessively narrow lanes and people frequently stop to unload and block traffic, a friend got their car hit once by someone backing up there. Since moving I’m close to one that has a good parking lot, I think because it used to be a different type of supermarket. Guessing if TJ’s had built the location from scratch it would be a nightmare lot.

We went to a pre-wedding dinner for one of our friends weddings and there was a brand new TJ's in this brand new strip mall and, you guessed it, the parking lot was a loving nightmare

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have never been to a TJ's parking lot that doesn't make me furious immediately upon entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I went to a trader Joe's in Santa Cruz. poo poo was massive compared to my local one.

Still full of customers with the Joe hivemind.