Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm still pissed that they stopped carrying Saag Paneer in the frozen Indian food section

same, OP. A thing of that and a couple naan was an excellent zero effort freezer meal. At least there's still the chana masala.

Paneer tikka can gently caress off.

I also hate the seasonal stuff. Not because it's bad but I want my loving lemon ice cream. It's criminal I discovered that like a week before they got rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TJ frozen food quality is all over the place but the Indian stuff overall is about the best frozen food you can get, imo. Does the job well when I can't be bothered to cook.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The korma fish and saag paneer were my main buys so of course both are gone. Don't take my chana masala.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Those were great too. God. Stop taking away our stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like those guys a lot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah they are pretty sweet even by cookie standards. Good with a cup of black coffee.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

i'm trying a new thing where i eat the food in my house before i go to the grocery for more, so i have not been to joe's in a bit

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just had some spanakopita. Surprisingly good and close to fresh, I'm impressed. Will be getting more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The frozen palak paneer is back and I'm stoked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My advice would not to think about learning to cook "Asian" food since that isn't a thing and pick a specific cuisine to learn about.

And then I'd suggest Sichuan because it is the best.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fair

still learn about sichuan food though it is good

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Fuchsia Dunlop’s books are pretty foolproof for cooking Sichuan food imo

The Food of Sichuan specifically. Don't get the old one, it sucked.

the holy poopacy posted:

make sure you locate your local Asian market because TJ is pretty poo poo for buying ingredients instead of ready-made stuff

I think this really depends on your TJ, I hear this a lot but mine has good produce and meat. You will have to hit the Chinese grocery for more interesting vegetables though.

Also if you're in the US and do want to do Sichuan: https://themalamarket.com/ Some of it is a bit pricy but you can't beat the quality here. Except the Sichuan pepper oil, it sucks. Get that from 50hertz.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah trying to track calories sucks when you're cooking from scratch, but as long as you're staying veg heavy and not drowning it in high calorie sauces you should be good. Sauce bottles should have calories on them, the ones from the vegetables themselves are mostly negligible. Really hard to eat enough cabbage to gain weight.

Something fun and tasty to try: garlic fried kongxincai/ong choy.

Heat up a wok or pan. Add a couple tablespoons of oil, swirl to coat. Throw in a stupid amount of rough chopped garlic, however much you want but go heavy. Stir fry it for 30 seconds or so until it smells a lot. At this step if you want it spicy you could throw in some dried chili peppers. Anyway, add a pile of your kongxincai and stir fry for a minute or two until it's wilted. Add a bit of soy sauce, and if you have it, Shaoxing wine. Pinch of salt and MSG. Then swirl in just a bit of cornstarch/water slurry, you're not looking for a ton here but just enough to give it a little sheen and coat. Remove and eat.

You can do the same thing with any leafy vegetable. Some tougher ones like gai lan, you would want to briefly blanch that in boiling water first to soften it a bit.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have the lemon ice cream now, which is the best ice cream I've ever had.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sudonim posted:

Yeah I can't believe this kind of ice cream isn't more widely available, wtf???

It's hosed up. I found it like a week before it went away last year and was so mad. I'm out of the country right now but asked family to buy as much as possible and fill every freezer we have access to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I found them pretty disappointing. Not everything's going to be a winner at Joe.

Update on ice cream, the family pulled through and there are at least 20 tubs of lemon ice cream distributed through various freezers. I'm going today to see if I can score more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The smoked trout is great too if you're into non-'dine canfish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got that karaage out of morbid curiosity and actually said oh no out loud when I opened it. I hope it's okay for what it is but this sure does not look like karaage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It is cooking away as we speak. What made me go oh no in the store was seeing frozen gimbap. I can't even imagine what you do with that.

I also bought chicken thighs to make karaage tomorrow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

I had a frozen gimbap from H Mart today (fried tofu and burdock) and it was actually alright

Honestly what do you do with it? Just let it sit out and thaw? What happens to the rice texture?

My karaage verdict: no bueno. Even on its own merits as fried chicken it is not great. Points for the sauce actually, if there is a dip with karaage it's just a glorp of mayo and that was a frozen bag of mayo with a bit of seasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

This stuff is dank as hell, don't limit your use to pancakes.

Just tried this, it's good. Bourbon is more on the aroma than the flavor but it's good maple syrup anyway. Little tangy.