Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are multivitamins a scam?
Yes
No
Goku (who notably does not take a multivitamin)
View Results

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

We did it folks. The thread is stickied in order to bring the public's attention to this important issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I can't believe these Generation Z kids with their multiple vitamin nonsense. We used to listen to SCIENTISTS who told us there were only TWO vitamins. :mad:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

back when i was a kid we only had vitamin A and B and were happy to have those

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

We did it folks. The thread is stickied in order to bring the public's attention to this important issue.

Flew too close to the sun on this one. That's OK, I'll still keep posting in this garbage forum :colbert:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Also multivitamins in the states don’t fall under FDA guidelines, so there’s no rigid standards for purity, ie that they’re not bulking out fillers with sawdust or not cross-contaminating batches. There was a class action lawsuit in NY about a decade ago because people taking a multivitamin got secondary sex characteristics from the factory making hormone supplements in the same machines and not properly cleaning them. I think the worst instance are these multivitamin drops for newborn infants where the actual amount of iron was a lot higher, like dangerously high.

now this ... this sucks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

numberoneposter posted:

back when i was a kid we only had vitamin A and B and were happy to have those

Had to walk two miles uphill both ways down to the crick to fetch the water to swallow em with too

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I drink athletic greens because Jason Bateman told me to on a podcast once.

Probably just as dumb as a regular multivitamin but at least you digest it with 8oz of water and it doesn’t hurt your Tumtum

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I take one because my diet is poo poo, but if you don't take it with food it's not going to do anything.. lots of vitamins need some oil to be absorbed so eat it with your meat and rice meal.

It's like 10 cents a day. That's the kind of scam I can stay behind until it get my eating habits in order.

Bayer isn't putting poison in vitamins. Mostly you pee it out a lot you don't need, but it also has the D vitamin I definitely need during the winter when I never go outside.

*Shrug*

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

nullEntityRNG posted:

If they're not in the shape of the flinstones, then I'm sorry to report you are being scammed. I'm sorry.

This person knows the truth.

The Flintstones would never lie to you.

They know the best cigs.

They know the best cereal.

They know the best vitamins.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Athanatos posted:

The Flintstones would never lie to you.

They know the best cigs.
TIL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

naem
May 29, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

im gorl

This is the worst advice that has been presented in this thread. Peas!?

peas are a vegamble

have you tried them with meat juice

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

frozen peas taste good and they can keep in the freezer for like.. a long time. great way to get some veg in with the meat rice combo OP

naem
May 29, 2011

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Vitamin B3 Niacin works if you need to be "sick" for a short period of time to get out of something.

Look up "Niacin Flush"

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 29, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Wendigee posted:

frozen peas taste good and they can keep in the freezer for like.. a long time. great way to get some veg in with the meat rice combo OP
I swear to God, you and your peas

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Multivitamin? Whatever.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Jelly posted:

I swear to God, you and your peas

what now? i prefer broccoli myself but they both got nutrients hon hon hon

did you confuse me with naem?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i take my girlfriends "for her" multis when I need to sing the high notes

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Those are not suppositories

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I grind the vitamin up in oil and buttchug that poo poo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Smoke 'em if you got em, Barn.

The Flintstones know.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The real lie is that vitamins exist, or are like real. Eating any kind of food is equal to any kind of food. Go wild and eat nothing but peaches if you want. Just worry about how many calories are in it, if those even exist - I have my doubts.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Multivitamins are a waste, most of it is filler. You should buy my monovitamins. Pure and specific. You aren't paying for all that excess bullshit vitamins. Buy Monovitamins for the targeted specific chemicals your body craves.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Doc Fission posted:

this is probably accurate tbh

But what if I want to achieve 100 percent of my daily values on everything? Is there a way to be a nutrition completionist?

🫡
There's always Soylent

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

covidstomper58 posted:

The real lie is that vitamins exist, or are like real. Eating any kind of food is equal to any kind of food. Go wild and eat nothing but peaches if you want. Just worry about how many calories are in it, if those even exist - I have my doubts.

absolutely its all a scam... that's why they introduced iodine to salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodised_salt

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wendigee posted:

absolutely its all a scam... that's why they introduced iodine to salt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodised_salt

And yet portland Oregon refuses to fluoridate their water nearly every year. We're inconsistent

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ohnobugs posted:

Those are not suppositories

Don’t tell me how to take my vitamins

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Hmm seems like salt is another so called vitamin.
Didn't anyone see the Martian or There Will Be Blood?
In the Martian Meth Damon eats nothing but potatoes and he gets real slender and his science gets much bettar and shoots off the planet.
In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Plainview asks a farmer if he has bread and is relieved when the farmer says no, we have potatoes. Because he doesn't want the gluten, which will kill him and eventually cause his son to go deaf.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
If your diet is that bad you should be supplementing fiber

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
How sure are we that a sensu bean isn’t a multivitamin tho?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There ought to be vitamin suppositories. If people regularly drink themselves to death via butts why not vitamoinize thru the same orifice

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Sensu beans are just green One-a-Days for Men

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Supplementing fiber is an absolute must for me.

Not sure about the other stuff. My therapist said I should try GABA but it just made me super tired and the internet says that's due to too much so I'm guessing I don't actually have a deficiency.

Reading this thread really makes me want to avoid vitamins from places like Nature's Bounty or whatever.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I started taking protein supplement and my farts and poops were super gross. So I started mixing a a bit of psylium husk in it and it was a night and day difference, I shoulda started taking that stuff years ago.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im pissin gold

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
the science is inconclusive, but they are not harmful when taken properly. it is proven to be better to get such nutrients from food, and you likely are but it doesn't hurt.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If I don't take them, I'm ok for a while and then I start sleeping more and more in the afternoons. Then I take them again and it clears up within a day or two.

Vitamin D and E supplements have been shown to help with PMS.

Only get the cheapest poo poo tho. I tried a high powered vitamin d one once and it gave me terrible headaches.

Oscar Wild posted:

Multivitamins are a waste, most of it is filler. You should buy my monovitamins. Pure and specific. You aren't paying for all that excess bullshit vitamins. Buy Monovitamins for the targeted specific chemicals your body craves.

God that sounds expensive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
life hack: eat one (1) pinecone every day, first thing in the morning.

you'll be fine.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

multivitamins are bullshit op, but you should try omnivitamins. the entire periodic table of the elements in one convenient pill!

naem
May 29, 2011

The Fattest PI posted:

I started taking protein supplement and my farts and poops were super gross. So I started mixing a a bit of psylium husk in it and it was a night and day difference, I shoulda started taking that stuff years ago.

my mom is a vegan and uses psyllium husks as an ingredient in various sauces for thickness because cooking without animal products is surprisingly hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Most vitamins need to be activated in a way with like i dunno other thing in the body, lipids or some poo poo, and going into your stomach doesn't really do that.

About 2 year ago I took all the ones people say are the only ones that work for just over 4 months, Its like D, iron, B3 B6 B12, Zinc, A? others...there was like 7 or so and I put them in a webster pack thing so they easy to take each day.

I didn't do anything. Cost a bit.

Melatonin works, though.

If you're a vegan probably take B12.

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 29, 2022