Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
posting itt because i'm a tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

i really want a robot arm for the shop but we've never been able to justify it. our standard curriculum maxes out at 3-axis machining and we can't argue that we need a $50,000 robot arm that will be used by one grad student and two keen undergrads per year.

but i really want one.

echinopsis posted:

build one and make a youtube channel for it

Seriously can you finagle "build a robot arm" as a student project somehow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
is a sewing machine a tool or a contraption

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

is a sewing machine a tool or a contraption

its a tool

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

i really want a robot arm for the shop but we've never been able to justify it. our standard curriculum maxes out at 3-axis machining and we can't argue that we need a $50,000 robot arm that will be used by one grad student and two keen undergrads per year.

but i really want one.

shop around! i got two of those staubli's complete with controllers for under 4k. after a quick browse through hgr i found 3 or 4 passable kuka's and abb's under 5k. plus with a kuka, you can integrate directly into grasshopper/rhino with kuka|prc

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think i need a new solder. any recommendations?!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dioxazine posted:

leaded solder is best

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dioxazine posted:

kester 63/37 in whatever diameter you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6337-0027-Solder-Alloy-Diameter/dp/B0149K4JTY

did you mean a soldering iron? i have recommendations for those too!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 3, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

kester 63/37 in whatever diameter you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6337-0027-Solder-Alloy-Diameter/dp/B0149K4JTY

this is correct. no-clean flux for new assembly, rosin or RA for old rework. dont be an idiot like me and use a fluxless solder for years, wondering why it refused to stick so often

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what crimpers do yall like for mid-tier? looking for something above iwiss chinese grade (these are usually good, imo, but looking for the next step up) but below the four-figure amp/molex/etc ones

ive used ideal and xcelite ones before and they seemed decent, but i mostly have used either trash grade amazon stuff or super expensive ones that cost way too much. the search function at the usual vendors (allied, digi, mouser) totally suck and don't even really call out what the crimp profile is or whatever. seems like a needle in a haystack trying to find something specific that isn't also single-purpose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk about dedicateds. i use my nifty needle nose for smaller crimps that don't need hulk smash

and my linemens for big ones that do

huuuuge force on the latter.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jonny 290 posted:

The brushless setups are sick but i still have fear of vendor lock-in and i KNOW for a FACT that the month after i spend $500 on brushless tools that the line will be discontinued and I'll be hosed. 120v 60hz is always there.

jonny admiring his vendor-agnostic, never obsolete, all-purpose tool set

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

idk about dedicateds. i use my nifty needle nose for smaller crimps that don't need hulk smash

and my linemens for big ones that do

huuuuge force on the latter.

yeah i already have a set of klein pliers, and several different iwiss ratcheting crimpers at home

but like, for example, today i was at work looking for a crimper for harting han c contacts. these things:

the official harting crimpers are like $800, so gently caress that. ive used the uninsulated dies on a generic crimper, these things:

it worked ok, but im looking for something in between these and the $800 "correct" ones. i don't really like how the dimple deforms these han contacts, either.

at a previous job we had some generic-ish crimpers that had a square crimp profile, and they felt pretty good, but i have no idea what they were. and good luck trying to search anywhere by what crimp profile they have, rather than what terminal type they're supposed to be for.

i could name some tool brands that are high end and expensive (amp, molex, phoenix, knipex) and theres a never ending deluge of cheap tools that sorta work from the usual suspects, but i don't know what the middle ground really looks like. who has good value without being "value engineered" all to hell and back?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 3, 2022

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

thanks for this! i ran out of my solder a few months ago, but it's been so long since i bought a spool, i've forgotten what i used to have.

Sagebrush posted:

not particularly, BUT! i would be interested regardless

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

a corded drill is the only one i have in my house right now. mostly because i just want it to last forever.

imo the big downside to corded drills is they typically don’t have a clutch, so you can’t set them to nicely stop at a given torque. gotta feather it or hand drive so you don’t strip fasteners or over-tighten into wood.

that and the limited range but it’s been mostly fine with (appropriately sized) extension cords.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

but i really want one.
you could always start hitting people up on linkedin for quotes on used ones/donations. my school was broke as poo poo and that's how the program chair got things done. a used fanuc lr mate + controller is only about 5k on ebay, so there's probably someone willing to part with an arm somewhere

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

if the lights don’t dim when you pull the trigger, it ain’t poo poo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i keep a giant old metal bodied corded drill specifically for using with a cement mixing attachment. it always surprises me how much power it has

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i use a cheapo home depot lithum battery drill and its fine op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The three high quality power tool brands you can get at home depot these days are Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt.

Milwaukee is manufactured by TTI, a holding company that also makes Ridgid and Ryobi. Milwaukee is the high end, Ridgid is mid grade, Ryobi is meant for lighter duty (though they're still fine tools imo).

Similarly, DeWalt is the high end brand from a group that also makes Craftsman and Black+Decker. (I would not really recommend either of those two lower-end brands -- they're noticeably more cheaply made).

Makita only makes Makita and they are very good quality.

There are other good quality brands that only make a single line of tools, like Bosch, Festool, and Hilti, but you usually can't get those at Home Depot. Also hoo boy those Festool prices!

Most other brands, especially if you're spending less than about $125 for the individual tool with one battery, are just going to be generic cheap stuff with some random house brand stuck on it. Fine for occasional use around the house probably but not much more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i see makita blue i think "now thats a good tool"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Also when i turn my monitor off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am fully bought into Makita and they're great and have never let me down. Also, only in Japan you can get them in pinkuu (pink) and I really kind of want to pick one up on ebay

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress yes

i got reverse pink tax on some USB chargers the other day and now amazon thinks i'm a girl and pushes 8000 different purple and pink USB cables to my front page

good way to make sure bros don't steal your cable tbh

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

pink used to be a masculine colour in europe a millennium ago, didn't it?

either way, it's nice to have some pep in your cables so not everything is just a black wire that you need to hand trace

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
does a vinyl cutting plotter count as a tool? because i just bought one :3:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more like 100 years ago tops

and yeah i love colors and bright and cool things now. its rad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i want cool patterns and stuff. Stop making drills that look like a decepticon sex toy and give me a damask hammer drill.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Milwaukee is manufactured by TTI, a holding company that also makes Ridgid and Ryobi. Milwaukee is the high end, Ridgid is mid grade, Ryobi is meant for lighter duty (though they're still fine tools imo).

Yeah its a Ryobi, its fine imo.

I'm debating getting a tabletop wood planer. Its just such a pain to use a hand plane and the nice ones are also hundreds of dollars

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

I'm debating getting a tabletop wood planer. Its just such a pain to use a hand plane and the nice ones are also hundreds of dollars

i recently bought a makita handheld power planer and as god is my witness i will never strip paint off a door any other way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

if youre talking about a thickness planer, all the reviews say the dewalt one is best so i bought one and it was unconscionably loud - no power tool has any reason to be that loud. Went through two layers of earpro like nothin. I sold it off, i cant take that kind of noise.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

if youre talking about a thickness planer, all the reviews say the dewalt one is best so i bought one and it was unconscionably loud - no power tool has any reason to be that loud. Went through two layers of earpro like nothin. I sold it off, i cant take that kind of noise.

hm interesting, I never considered the noise factor, thats good to know.

And yeah, thickness planer, but if I ever had to do a heavy duty stripping project I'd consider a cheap hand planer.

After my epoxy pickguard project I actually wanna try designing and building my own guitar body. It seems relatively easy and seems like it would be really satisfying. You can buy cheapo no-name necks online and I'd just build a body around that. So that might be the excuse I need to pick something up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like theyre all loud but the dewalt is just brutal

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i got rid of most of my power tools because they are so loud and messy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

woodworking power tools are ok but they cant kick up too much dust or be too noisy. This is why routers are the worst power tools.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Here’s my package opening load out.

First is this safety cutter thing. Open boxes with reckless abandon. No exposed blades to cut you or the poo poo inside the box. Also good for envelops and getting through cardboard backing.

A Cricut weeder tool. Handy for getting shrink wrap off a thing without damaging the thing. Also handy for prying poo poo out of jenga box packaging.

I don’t know what these are. I otherwise call them my zip tie cutters. These are the least awkward way of getting through plastic packaging I’ve got. I’m sure there’s better though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
big shout out to square drive

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I need new embroidery scissors. or I need to sharpen them. idk. they were cheap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

big shout out to square drive