Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i love channel locks

the knipex cobra is even better, but this is my home toolbag and not my work toolbag which contains those (and a few more pairs of channel locks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also very good tools:

- folding ruler, the inside measuring type specifically

- klein ironworkers pliers

- knipex pliers wrench

- knipex makes a wire stripper that has a narrow jaw like a needle nose, but its wide like a linesman, and it has a wire stripper

- nws makes a diagonal cutting plier which uses a pin and slot to increase the mechanical advantage

bad tools:

- klein 7 in 1 nut driver

- klein channel locks

-

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

trip report: the knipex wire strippers are amazing. the head is small enough to push wires into the corners of boxes, but wide enough to get a good twist. the blades are sharp.

the only downsides are that the extra bit of metal just below the largest wire stripper size, presumably to prevent the wire from falling into the cutters. thats what i want to do!
also that it only goes down to 8 Awg solid

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i'm too poor to go buy cheap tools

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

if you don’t have like 10 hammers what are you even doing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the huge straight claw is really good for chipping out concrete, the mega curved claw is the real scrub move

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the framing hammer where instead of a big claw in the back it's an axe is also pretty awesome

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also the stiletto hammer is extremely good. it's weighted like a small hammer but since it's titanium you can swing it super fast and it hits really hard. it's also like $300.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the router is clearly the worst woodworking tool.

but not far behind is the radial arm saw.

The best woodworking tool is the axe.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

sanding is also dumb and you would do well to avoid sanding as much as you possibly can.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i like watching when youtube woodworkers spend like 5 minutes of screentime to set up a router to knock some sharp edges back.

like if you grabbed a piece of 220 you would have been finished in less time than the router setup and it would have been cleaner and with better results and also without using a router

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

cnc routers are the worst thing ever invented.

A combination of routers (The worst woodworking tool) and computers (the worst thing ever invented) into an ungodly contraption

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

don’t forget the part about settingup a bit in the router to soften allthe edges

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i have finally used the pliers wrench for an extended period of time and i am honestly underwhelmed.

it's cool that it has the parallel jaws, but there is too much leverage - you have to move the two handles apart a lot before the jaws move a little. Which is normally fine, but it's like moving your hands to the limits just to expand the jaws enough to go over the points of a nut. repeat every single time you tighten, and you can also only really get 1/6 of a turn of a bolt each time you reposition.
Not only that, but you can only really be fast with it if you open the jaws and "ride" over the points of the bolt, rounding it over even worse than a crescent wrench.

Maybe the 7" or 5" handle version is better, but so far in my application (an obstructed bolt or nut) , it seems the heirarchy is:
- the ratcheting box end of a combination wrench is best
- the non-ratcheting box end of a combo wrench
- the open end of a wrench (at least repositioning would be fast)
- a crescent wrench would at least not require moving the jaws apart every single time you use it, or holding the handles apart at a specific width

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

rotor posted:

yeah you really cant one-hand it. I have the little micro one and i like it for just carryin around but not as a bench tool

Yeah, if I can’t one-hand it, then there are a large number of more useful one-handed tools to use.

Alternate tools that would be better:
- A version with less leverage
- Robogrip pliers?
- A smooth jawed cobra
- A crescent wrench with some kind of lock to prevent it from changing jaw size
- The plierswrench with wider jaws

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the epoxy bowl guys aren’t as bad as the cnc router guys

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i needed to round over this block of wood so i set it up on the cnc

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

mark it out with a knife and score it deep and then use a chisel

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no routers, they are the worst tool

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

welcome to my fine woodworking channel where we make fine furniture in a shop so you don’t have to work with computers all day

first we use the computer to draw this thing and then put it onthe cnc, where we use a router to make a massive cloud of dust to do a roundover on a flat piece of wood.
the setup only took us 2 hours but its definitely better than doing it with a hand plane in 9 seconds

don’t worry you don’t have to have all these fancy tools in a 5000 sqft shop, you can do it at home too, you just need 7 routers, a cnc, and a measly 4430 sqft shop.

to finish this board all we have to do is start removing material in bulk, and the way we can do this is with sanding. just hours and hours of sanding.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

have you considered the king double ceramic knife? it's a knife of the world

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

use a sharpie to mark the edge of your knife, like maybe 1/8 of an inch up the side on each side.

Pull the knife through the coarse side (the grey side) a dozen times or so, while keeping the spine as wobble free as possible. light pressure (think of the level of pressure you would use when you brush your teeth)

have a look and see how much of the sharpie mark is left. if there is still sharpie mark on the very edge but part of the mark further up is gone, then you have a long way to go (to reprofile the blade to the that sharpener's angle.

if there is no mark left on the edge, then you can move on to the fine side. it takes a lot more strokes to get the knife sharp on this. it's polishing out the big scratches from the coarse side.

it should be pretty sharp after this, but the real way to truly take it to the next level is with a strop. a good coarse leather belt would work too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

split the difference fellas:

ah yes the sharpener that takes as much skill to use as a regular stone but as good results as a pull through and rounds the tip every time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

spyderco shartmaker

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

nah you're mistaken on both counts, unless you're talkin a regular stone with a guide system, in which case it's just a different shape of basically the same thing

i reprofiled a d2 steel knife with one

if anything the brown stone is not anywhere near coarse enough to be useful

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

stanley black and decker who also makes dewalt and porter-cable and craftsman and irwin and mac and facom and proto and

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i like the compact milwaukee 8 meter with the printing on both sides. standout isn’t as long as some others, but its light and reasonably durable and somewhat accurate

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

my biggest issue with pretty much every tape measure:

inches above
metric below

flip the tape over so you are reading the back side
inches above
metric below

why not make it so when you flip it over the back reads
metric above
inches below

it would be so much more useful.

also pretty much every tape measure has the body on the right when you pull out the tape, then you gotta do a hand over hand grip switch to mark out what you want if you are right handed
i know lee valley makes a “left hand” tape but its like the only one

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

would love to but almost all building supplies are still in inches here.

the easier solution is to stop reducing fractions.

add 1-5/8 to 3/16 and 7/16 and then another 1/4 on it

or

1-10/16 plus 3/16 plus 7/16 plus 4/16 easy peasy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i have a try-square with the dumbest markings. it's in imperial, with a tick mark for each 1/16 of an inch.

however, they do not alternate large/small, theres no extra mark for like 1/4 or 1/2, so it's just "how big is this? count the number of tick marks every time"

bonus: most of the numbers for the full inches (the only tick marks that are different) are like 3/4 covered by a said number

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the best demo screwdrivers have hex shanks so you can put a wrench on it to turn it harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the worst tool klein makes by far is the 7 in 1 nut driver

it's huge and it's heavy and the sockets on it are all super shallow and you're always switching back and forth between several, which are all on opposite sides, and it's also fragile

their replacement was some flip socket thing which should be better except it doesn’t go above 1/2 inch socket size which is dumb