Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love cool tools. we need a thread to talk about cool tools.

today i got a nice tap wrench with sliding jaws to replace my old lovely kind with the stepped flexy jaws that never grip taps properly. it isn't as fancy as a starrett or anything, but it feels nice and solid and is machined well. looking forward to tapping some holes!

post itt about cool tools you have like or have gotten. what is your favorite tool? electronic tools are ok too but this is mostly about nice heavy metal things that feel good and do good jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Queadlunn posted:

Fujiya Kurokin 770-150BG cutters

I upgraded and cycled out a bunch of my tools a couple months ago, got these nice cutters and they're the best goddamned side cutters I've ever used.

nice! i could probably use some new side cutters. right now i have an old set that i got at a yard sale that are quite elegant, but getting dull and i'm not sure if there is enough metal left to sharpen them properly.

here are a few more of my tools i really like

mitutoyo digital caliper. in college i got my first vernier caliper and i still have it and love it. i also have a dial caliper, but i eventually dropped it and it broke. i hated digital calipers for the longest time because i had only ever used lovely ones and i thought they were all that bad. this one is magnificent.

it is of course extremely well made, but more importantly it (1) does not lose power randomly, (2) does not lose its zeroing when shut off or power is removed, (3) updates extremely fast, and (4) has no power draw when off so the battery lasts forever. it's lovely.

i also like these wera screwdrivers.

i prefer to not use philips or flat where possible, but if you have to, these are the best drivers you can get. they are laser etched on the tips so they grip really strongly and don't slip. they are the best thing to use on sketchy or partially stripped heads. they are also electrically insulated to 1000v and have nice comfortable handles. and yes, rotor, they do have robertson.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 30, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

[ASK] me about the time i spent like 8 hours sweating and swearing trying to pull a bearing from a motorcycle wheel using every combination of the wrong tools i had, then finally gave up and drove to harbor freight and got a 30 dollar slide hammer, then came back and popped it out in literally 20 seconds.

even cheap tools can be great when they're the right tool for the job.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

idk man. modern brushless lithium cordless tools are beastly. like yeah there are certainly benefits to corded tools, but 13 holes in drywall? come on. i have a makita cordless drill that will happily chew through brick on the hammer setting like there's nothing there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i really want a robot arm for the shop but we've never been able to justify it. our standard curriculum maxes out at 3-axis machining and we can't argue that we need a $50,000 robot arm that will be used by one grad student and two keen undergrads per year.

but i really want one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dioxazine posted:

i think i need a new solder. any recommendations?!

kester 63/37 in whatever diameter you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6337-0027-Solder-Alloy-Diameter/dp/B0149K4JTY

did you mean a soldering iron? i have recommendations for those too!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 3, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The three high quality power tool brands you can get at home depot these days are Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt.

Milwaukee is manufactured by TTI, a holding company that also makes Ridgid and Ryobi. Milwaukee is the high end, Ridgid is mid grade, Ryobi is meant for lighter duty (though they're still fine tools imo).

Similarly, DeWalt is the high end brand from a group that also makes Craftsman and Black+Decker. (I would not really recommend either of those two lower-end brands -- they're noticeably more cheaply made).

Makita only makes Makita and they are very good quality.

There are other good quality brands that only make a single line of tools, like Bosch, Festool, and Hilti, but you usually can't get those at Home Depot. Also hoo boy those Festool prices!

Most other brands, especially if you're spending less than about $125 for the individual tool with one battery, are just going to be generic cheap stuff with some random house brand stuck on it. Fine for occasional use around the house probably but not much more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am fully bought into Makita and they're great and have never let me down. Also, only in Japan you can get them in pinkuu (pink) and I really kind of want to pick one up on ebay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

big shout out to square drive

you mean Robertson, of course.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a leatherman :biglips:

but i don't carry a multitool around usually. they're heavy and i don't actually need pliers and screwdrivers in my bag at all times. my "EDC" (as the kids say these days) is a rather nice little snap-on branded 2" folding knife that i got in the checkout line at autozone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dioxazine posted:

this is somewhat far afield, but do any of you have a butt set?

completely out of curiosity. i've only ever used them tangentially professionally with a telephone tech i was friendly with who taught me. no use case whatsoever for me

i do, actually -- a fluke ts25d. my landlord, who used to be the head maintenance guy at one of the big sf housing projects, found it somewhere and gave it to me. the bed-of-nails alligator clips on the leads are insanely fancy and well made. i unscrewed them and attached banana plugs so i can use them in my multimeter.

i have no idea what to use it for, because i haven't had a landline telephone in fifteen years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

distortion park posted:

Visited a house today my in-laws were looking at, owned by an old and extremely catholic couple (crucifixes in every room, pictures of the pope etc). In the basement they had a fun old school tool collection

i will take all the files, the draw knife, and whatever is unlocked by the little key (hoping it's a motorcycle). tia

rotor posted:

tool tip: old files are made of good steel and should be repurposed, new files are just case hardened mild still and should not.

you can still buy good quality new files but you pay through the nose for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you know? every tooth on a rasp is made by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MtfBSt0oqY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like it! i'd never heard of one before but i enjoy learning about tools used in other fields.

i am trying to learn more about sewing and garment construction. i know a lot about making hard objects, but not much about soft ones. i'm trying to get the lab to pick up a cnc embroidery machine and i want to take some courses in making shirts etc at the city college.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

old fashioned titles are the best.

B-tier: pilot
A-tier: aviator
S-tier: airman

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

lol the most sargebrush way to do it. at least your true to yourself

:yum:

but yeah no the embroidery machine is part of a larger thing with some other professors who actually know what they're doing lol. i am excited to screw around with it and try to make some merit badges at some point. but i'm starting with a basic garment construction class at city college. i assume i will be making some a-line skirts etc :biglips:

also my sister is an expert at this stuff and does professional tailoring so at least i've got help.

fart simpson posted:

extremely pro tips:

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

e: if a 57 year old woman gives you some advice about any of this stuff and her advice doesn’t make sense to you and you think you see an easier way, your probably wrong. do it your own way to instantly discover why her advice actually makes sense but now it’s too late

man give me some credit, i have to deal every day with students trying to come up with their own "smarter" way of doing something i told them to do differently and having it all blow up in their face. i know to listen to the 57 year old lady

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

what's the line on tools here, like is a chainsaw or a two wheel tractor allowed

might be more "equipment" than "tool" idk

i'd say yes to both of those. a four wheel tractor is probably where the scope of this thread ends but post about one if you want!

chainsaws rule. i wish i had an excuse to use one more often. feeling it pull itself into the cut is magic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I were in charge of the government I would have appropriated the sawstop guy's patent, given him like 50 million for it or something, and then opened it up for free and made it a requirement for every table saw sold in the country. It is a total paradigm shift in safety for what is traditionally one of the most dangerous tools in a shop.

I popped ours just last week as a matter of fact. Didn't touch it with my finger, though. I was doing a complicated angled cut for a student and accidentally dinged the miter slide into the blade. Doy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is! It got a tiny nick in it less than 1mm deep. Actually a really good example now of how effective the system is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i appreciate that he spent all this time making the thing with period-correct techniques, but boy, if there was ever a part that you just send out for wire edm...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There isn't really much more to it than what you can see. Some insane guy in 1919 designed a wrench that would fit every fastener he could think of. It takes a totally absurd amount of machining to construct.

Most of the design is pointless because he included a universal alligator wrench in the handle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

saw stop brake cartridges are like $70? and you’re also out the blade.

as opposed to being out tens of thousands and a finger, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

any crumbs that fall into the hole get annihilated and emitted as x-rays, dummy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cross post from where it put it in the wrong thread;

i bought a set of adam savage's favorite helping hands after he showed them off a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLwlrk7oF4

they arrived today and are indeed rad as hell.

can't wait to use em

link is here if you want your own and feel like splurging 80 dollars on a pair of helping hands lol. but they are really good and feel like they'll last a lifetime

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081Z7N9JP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i haven't figured that out yet lol. maybe just workstops? they don't slide or anything though so idk.

i took them out and will maybe come up with a little vise mount for them or something. they're just m5 through holes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i do some jewelry welding and i like the look of these. but i'm curious, what are the screws on the base for? the ones with the little corner of sheet metal under em

no luck figuring this out incidentally.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I ordered some nice looking 4mm bit drivers from AliExpress. I have a shitload of the bits but only one handle, and after a job where I needed 4 different kinds of bits and I just kept swapping them again and again, I thought: why don't I just buy several handles so I can have a bunch of bits loaded at the same time?? Like a classic set of mini screwdrivers but more flexible??

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804464424061.html

Shortly after I put in the order I realized that right now it is Chinese New Year. Maybe I'll see my stuff in March :rip:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phone numbers you remember is not tool talk. please keep it on topic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at home i have a regular claw hammer, a rubber mallet, a ball peen hammer, and a chipping hammer.

rotor posted:

in my experience, anything can be a hammer

are you one of my students

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

swarf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

it absolutely is, unfortunately the router is the worst woodworking power tool.

what's the scale here exactly

like it's right up there for potential to maim, but it does do good work. lots of things that a router is good at that would take forever with any other tool.

i think the worst tool is the panel saw because ours is unbelievably loud and annoying.

or maybe the jointer, which is like you fed a moon stone to a table router and it evolved into something far scarier. a router will lop off a finger but a jointer will chew away your whole hand

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

I keep my jointer set to .5mm, would take a while for it to eat my whole arm

not at 3000 rpm it wouldn't

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

what? the bandsaw is by a wide margin the safest woodworking power tool.

that's why i keep the orbital sanders under lock and key. you let your guard down even a little and BAM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you turn them on and they immediately start scooting away to do their nefarious deeds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

once when i was in college i was trying to ask the shop manager to turn on the power to the spindle sander. but i didn't know what i was called so i said "the machine that goes like this" and imitated its motion with my hand

he punched me in the shoulder and said to never make that gesture in his shop again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i added the three (3) claws from my old set of helping hands to the two (2) fancy new claws i got and now i have five claws.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 4, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enderzero posted:

that is fully sick. what do you use it for?

mostly holding stuff in position for soldering, but anything where i need an extra set of hands. very useful.

Raluek posted:

is that the countycomm one or is there a good generic

the big ones and the base are this from amazon, the small ones are from my old radio shack hands i got when i was a kid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081Z7N9JP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

i was not aware of countycomm, looked them up, seems like they're priced about the same (25 for one arm vs 70 for two arms plus a base). the clamps look similar but i think the ones i posted have more sturdy arms.

https://countycomm.com/products/custom-hobby-hand-kit-stainless-steel-by-maratac?_pos=1&_sid=8bf12dc2e&_ss=r

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 4, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i call my "pay the electrician to install an outlet" tool my achmedoutletomater. patent pending do not steal

this is literally what they teach you in business school

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i fixed my dial calipers today!

dropped them a few too many times and the hands weren't lining up at zero anymore. they are just 35 dollar amazon ones but i liked them and was bummed. today i took them all apart and realigned everything and reset the geartrain preload and they are back to working great, zeroing properly and hitting within .001" of my expensive mitutoyos, which is about as good as you can expect from calipers anyway. stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've got a couple more on order from AliExpress, will update when they get here