Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love good tools

and can’t stand lovely scissors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
knives can sometimes be sharp and the experts say you should only use knives with handles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
build one and make a youtube channel for it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
big shout out to square drive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

you mean Robertson, of course.
if you knew exactly what I meant when I said it then “square drive” is effective communication

in fact i’d argue square drive is meaningful to more people that “robertson” drive hence is better communication overall

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

yeah imo square drive can be this:

that’s the true square drive

Jonny 290 posted:

i thought of a socket set so theory destroyed

:negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in order to combine households with my fiancé we’re gonna have to convert her double garage to a bedroom and small storage area meaning workbench eliminated :cry: but needs must

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

Leatherman is from Portland, Oregon

the worst condom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I ate hams like yours for breakfast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my rear end is a bit pathetic imo but I make up for it with good hair

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

good morning. here is my tailors ham.

it’s really upped my ironing game

did you sew cloth around a ham? why is it called a tailors ham?

tim the tool man taylor’s ham

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
other day I was using one of those and immediately thought to myself “poo poo I should put some gloves on..” and as I ended that thought I cut into my thumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
try to lick it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at work I have to use small spatulas quite a lot and let me tell you I have some opinions on spatches

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I once knew a dude who lost a finger or two and got paid out maybe two grand for it? he seemed pretty pleased with the deal lmaol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk where else to put this but this boy puts in the extra yards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XlTkGEO564

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imo I was mostly amazed at the sheer volume of work that went into it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one day a week I work at a dying pharmacy which is actually now closing and I have calls dibs on this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that looks sick

the buttons are the only good thing about this. otherwise it’s kinda ordinary. oh well still a score

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
came for the fart simp post, was not disappointed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the fart simp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is my tool

most people can see 3 things. most people can’t see 5 things. they have to count 5 things

I’ve trained my brain to be able to see 5 things. I count in 5s up to whatever. but I can see 5 things and I bet most of you can’t

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

phone numbers used to be “klondike 5 3762 because memorizing 6-7 digits would be impossible. then everyone did memorize a ton of 7 digit numbers, and now you are lucky if someone knows their own phone number.

at my job I ask people for their phone number for their loyalty card and what amazes me is people in the 20-30 range who don’t have cards but ask if they can use their parents/partners and I say yes and then they recite their parents/partners phone number .. and this is a common occurrence

I do NOT know my mums or partners number. I know mine and for some reason a girl I had a crush on when I was 6 I still remember hers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
back when I was young we didn’t need to dial prefix codes or anything if it was local so her number was just 8900 so that’s all I remember

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

love your work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have trained dozens of warehouse workers and unless we got really lucky, I don't think that's true. Everyone can see five.

hmm maybe the size of things matter, I've read a few things on the topic over the years and they all said most people can't see more than 3 things. weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bald peen hammers huh

wanna see these peen hammers with a full head of hair

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love a good fart simp post

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when a pharmacy recently closed down I got this weird box full of a LOT of screwdrivers

a lot of redundancy in there. idk why there was so many

Sagebrush posted:

No matter how kind and easy-going your mom was, your touch her sewing scissors your days are numbered

imagine the wrath if she caught you cutting paper with them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do not get joy out of how that’s being help ngl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

at home i have a couple of waterstones and a honing steel and that works for my day to day needs.

at school we have a T8 to maintain all the woodworking tools and it's a joy

stropping is critical to getting a razor edge. what you are doing, mechanically, is not removing any material, but cleaning up and straightening the very finest point of the edge that is formed in sharpening. the edge continues to get turned over as you use it, and regular stropping straightens it back out. a honing steel does basically the same thing and proper use is to hone the knife every couple of uses, or after a few dozen cuts in continuous operation.

my brother is a meat worker and yeah uses the hone every few minutes, I can only imagine after over 20 years of doing so 40+ hours a week* he’s good at it

prolly the biggest difference when watching him do it vs anyone else is how slow he does it, he goes very slowly and carefully, presumably making sure the angle is very deliberate etc

* he’s just turned 40 this year and god drat his body is hosed because of how hard it is. idk what he’s gonna do for the next 20+ 😔😣

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

. gotta get it out
lol.. same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a stanley version of the same thing

it’s good

echinopsis