Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

there was a bike coop in my old college town which was neat. they had all the tools you need for bikes, so like basic drivers, chain wrenches, truing stands, etc. at some point i needed a bottom bracket tool to so i bought one and donated it to the coop.

you could build a bike from their scrap pile which was fun. it was all 100% free, except if you bought like new cables or a tube or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

it’s not truly in the spirit of the thread but I wanna give a shout-out to mains powered electric drills

the virgin cordless drill operating at a couple dozen volts at best, barely able to get thru 13 holes in some drywall

vs

the chad corded drill operating at 240v and ready to drill satan a third rear end in a top hat

a corded drill is the only one i have in my house right now. mostly because i just want it to last forever.

imo the big downside to corded drills is they typically don’t have a clutch, so you can’t set them to nicely stop at a given torque. gotta feather it or hand drive so you don’t strip fasteners or over-tighten into wood.

that and the limited range but it’s been mostly fine with (appropriately sized) extension cords.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

tried this thing and it is way more bracelet than im comfortable wearing, and too pokey to pick up the kids with it on, but otherwise very close to needs suiting:

https://i.imgur.com/0FHcw3C.gifv

how does their multitool watch band have dlc?!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

a chainsaw is one of those tools i’d use once or twice so i can’t justify buying one. i’ve got a lovely invasive common buckthorn on the corner of my house though and drat would it feel good to rip it down and paint the stump in herbicide.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i had one of those tiny leatherman ones like jonny posted earlier, but with just scissors and no wire stripping/pliers part. i forgot it in my pocket when i went for a flight so i had to trash it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

i've never noticed this tree before but the pix i see make it seem like they're on the small side, like 4-6" trunk max? If so you absolutely dont need a chainsaw, just get a pruning saw or just a plain old big handsaw and go to town. Take maybe 20 minutes.

somethign liek this, shouldn't cost more than $20.

yeah i've got a fiskars saw like that that i chopped down the other smaller trees around the house. the big one is just a bit over 6" and probably 10-15' tall so i'll think about trying it out myself. i think the only problem is that they really need herbicide applied to the stump immediately after felling because they produce lots of suckers. so i'd have to get through the trunk within like 5-10 minutes so the vascular part of the trunk is fresh enough to suck up the herbicide.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

old lab i worked at had a drawer for "ball pean hammers" which was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just got a sweet new tool

They are smaller than I thought they would be, but they should be a really good replacement for my old embroidery scissors

old post but where did you get those? would be a perfect gift for my wife’s birthday.