Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

now my little air compressor lives to the left of the belt sander.

i also have tools scattered among several bags. one for bike stuff, one for electrician stuff, one with common-use stuff ms jones uses so she doesn't have to hunt, and a big tool bag that has some odds and ends in it that used to hold all my overflow. and then the multimeter is inside on my desk, and there's a pile of screwdrivers in a box i have of ham radio stuff inside. and there's a shelf for handheld power tools in the garage, but the batteries are in the closet in my office.

i have a long way to go but i'm happy with things so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also the light that's off, i took down today and trashed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i had one of those tiny leatherman ones like jonny posted earlier, but with just scissors and no wire stripping/pliers part. i forgot it in my pocket when i went for a flight so i had to trash it.

leatherman micra owns. i still have the one i had as a kid. ordered a new one, then found the old one. the old one has rust spots though so it just lives in a drawer with some desiccant

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bloody posted:

also have a sawstop, big fan of it, have never triggered it, hope to never trigger it

this username/content mismatch is TOO MUCH

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i used mine to drill concrete bolt holes for a greenhouse.

is there an impact driver/hammer drill confusion here? like you could use an impact driver for concrete but...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i only have 3 hammers

maybe 4 i think the watch repair kit i bought a while ago might have come with a tiny one. but one of them is a mallet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kerf makes me think of those weird diaper pedo cartoons that shmorky made and i hate it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

youre basically describing paying someone to do something for you at that point

i call my "pay the electrician to install an outlet" tool my achmedoutletomater. patent pending do not steal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

I've had one of these for many years and it absolutely suits my needs.

split the difference fellas:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

ah yes the sharpener that takes as much skill to use as a regular stone but as good results as a pull through and rounds the tip every time

nah you're mistaken on both counts, unless you're talkin a regular stone with a guide system, in which case it's just a different shape of basically the same thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean, yes? it's not really meant to reprofile blades. you are correct that using the wrong tool sucks though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the medium is ~600 grit iirc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never messed with a strop, it seemed like the sort of thing where it's gonna dull to pre-strop-capability so quickly that it never seemed worth it. i may be wrong on that

iirc the fine doodad that came with the sharpmaker gets it sharp enough to cut hair, so i usually stop there. but sometimes i use the extra sharp one and it's good. keep in mind this is basically exclusively for kitchen knives; i dont remember the last time i sharpened a pocket knife

im afraid to sharpen my santoku with it because idk what angle it's at, if it's only sharpened on one side, etc. and im afraid ill screw it up really badly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that makes sense. could i leave the strop in the garage that gets very hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter, or would it have to come inside? also, got any brand recs?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that's easy. cool, thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol i know what it does man, i've just never cared enough to do it and it seems a bit much for kitchen knives

i don't hone either, but that one's because i'm afraid i'll mess it up and gently caress up the blade long term

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh come on sagebrush, surely it's not the case that you can't figure out a way that someone might damage up a blade by honing the angle wrong, or applying too much force. right? right? and you understand that it has everything to do with that, and not misunderstanding the process? i think you know that and you're just pretending

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and now it's your blade in the darrell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as far as i can tell, it didn't. it's like 95% knives, with the rest stuff like "made a pet out of hair" (lol what), "hand-shaped fried meat and rice," "bowling tips with a cast," etc

https://www.youtube.com/@kiwami-japan/videos

im wondering if some wires are getting crossed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah uh they start one off with some kind of ritual involving a doll, a pentagram and candles resulting in the doll’s head melting off,

lol oh wow, yeah they do. here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0IaUn4z9k

fuckin' odd, you weren't wrong. i did not expect 'em to just make a weird lil prelude

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my favorite tape measure isn't long and doesn't have many features but well

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the russians used a nail

the fancy russians attached it to a stick

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ain't nothin wrong with klein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok that's 100% fair, i was thinkin the contrast case was snapon or knipex or smth like that