Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these are the official yospos wire strippers

you cannot find a better one for $13 shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a drill with a 2:1 reduction drive and it can easily turn over a big block chevy. thing will blast through anything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The brushless setups are sick but i still have fear of vendor lock-in and i KNOW for a FACT that the month after i spend $500 on brushless tools that the line will be discontinued and I'll be hosed. 120v 60hz is always there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk about dedicateds. i use my nifty needle nose for smaller crimps that don't need hulk smash

and my linemens for big ones that do

huuuuge force on the latter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i see makita blue i think "now thats a good tool"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Also when i turn my monitor off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress yes

i got reverse pink tax on some USB chargers the other day and now amazon thinks i'm a girl and pushes 8000 different purple and pink USB cables to my front page

good way to make sure bros don't steal your cable tbh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more like 100 years ago tops

and yeah i love colors and bright and cool things now. its rad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought of a socket set so theory destroyed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
swiss army knives, man

domain of 11 and 65 year old nerds

everybody in between has better taste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Negatory, but it was funny when the centurylink guys came out and had to do provisioning for my fiber ONT by jamming a butt set into the PHONE jack of it and dialing a magic code

you will probably not be surprised to learn this is my most frequently carried/used multitool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i was a teen i got a princess phone at the flea market, cut the connector off the end and alligator clipped it. i had a 300 foot roll of speaker wire that i put modular plugs on one end and alligators on the other, and i'd sneak out after sundown, pop a green box, hook the 'butt set' to a line pair and call ANI to to make sure it wasn't our phone line, then hook up and call long distance BBSes. when i was done i just gave the wire run a yank from the house, it'd pull the alligator clips off and the green box lid would drop closed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah, pulling out a 3" leatherman, that's gonna be the mineshaft canary that clues people in to the fact that i'm a weirdo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is just a monkey wrench

post your monkey wrench then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
CLANK

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would not close the tab on the posts where sagebrush relates his experiences running the cricut machines that are full of drm and payware

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Catpain Slack posted:

Case in point, I was just browsing around for a pair of JST crimping pliers, and my options were 25-30€ pliers with brand names like WHRANGZU, or 200+€ Knipexes and the like. I went with the cheap garbage.

i still dont understand how tsunoda pliers are so cheap. ive got 4 pairs now and theyre so good and so cheap. like you pay maybe twice what you would for a cheap harbor freight combo set but you get 100x the tool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah. I was way into swiss army knives as a little kid and always wanted one of the big fancy ones, but always just got those little bitty 5-tool ones, which were still nice.

Never really got into them once i got the money to buy them though, as that's when leatherman/gerber hit the market and those are so much more plausible as a multitool i think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
echi looks like ur gf hacked into ur account

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I ordered a new dime

Nice!

ive got a couple moras on my rainy day wishlistu

i had one of the latter for a couple years but recently left it on my back bumper and then took a drive, RIP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
spent some time goofing with my latest tool impulse buy

Surprisingly good for like 90 bucks. Only annoying thing is that it won't both act as a USB webcam and display on the monitor at the same time. Other than that it works fuckin' great. it even has an 18650 in there so if you need to do a quick repair or something you aint gotta plug it in at all

i predict many fun hijinks on the stream with this and the soldering iron. it does 720p out the webcam jack, which ends up being fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep i bought 15 of them last month and have used almost all of 'em. i've also given one or two five-packs away as little gifts and the reaction is great

"tiny...short...extension cords?"

"wait"

o_O

"holy poo poo these RULE thank you!"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
username/post

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pro hammers:

* sledge <any>
* ball peen
* dead blow
* maxwell's silver

scrub hammers:
* enormous framing hammers with the huge straight claw that you gotta be a 10 year experienced professional to hit the nail regularly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

what is a dead blow hammer for

they're really good at beating body panels into shape etc because they don't have any 'bounce'. hollow things full of lead shot or something like that. also things like wailing on a rust-welded brake rotor to get it off a wheel hub

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Calibrating cheap tools to be at least somewhat functional is great. For spark plugs i just use a lovely HF torque wrench but calibrate it with gallon jugs of water as most of its work is gonna be around the 15-20 ft-lb range

clamp a socket in the bench vise, hang two gallon jugs of water 1 foot from the center of the wrench head, adjust so that it clicks right around 16.7 ft-lb on the dial

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its just the generational leap of the New Yankee Workshop on PBS. loving norm abrams and his $300,000 (in the 80s/90s so that was insane) workshop.

"ok now we're gonna do this one little woodworking bit - let's throw it on the $17,000 machine that only does that exact thing and nothing else)

Real heads rolled with Roy Underhill in The Woodwright's Shop. Braces and bits, hand saws, "eh that's close enough"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
#1 conversation piece on my keyring is my little gerber curve

theyre like ten dollars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Opinels are very nice and I like to give them as gifts. they're weird enough and not really threatening items

also a big fan of morakniv's offerings , i have several

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Last night i just straight up broke one of my favorite knives, a HF ceramic paring knife that i've had for about five years. the thing just folded in half. handle in my hand, blade and tang (look there's not much there ok) stuck in the sando. RIP to a king. Oh well it's four dollars, i'll go buy a couple more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, i picked up a ceramic set from amazon a bit ago, and the problem is, quite simply, they're TOO Sharp.

like, there's no radius on the tip or anything, and given the material i'm pretty confident you could do eye lens surgery with it.

i will investigate though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh, i treat them like scalpels of the kitchen. couple bucks here n there. still like my 10" steel chef and my chinese veg knife a lot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those setups are pretty deece too yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the kids or the knives

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
monday night's as good a night as any for a good old fashioned sagebrushin'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

i just walk in with my hosed up knives and swap them out with new ones on the shelves. this one time what I thought were new knives turned out to be some of my other old ones from a previous trip to the store. boy was i pissed when i got home.

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sure sounds great lets do it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i also have an architect's 3/8 scale tape measure. one unit on it is three-eighths of an inch. 3/8" is also 9.53 mm -- visually indistinguishable from a centimeter.

whenever we have exchange students i badly want to give them this tape measure to see what happens. but i just can't be that mean

can i borrow this, for unspecified reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats what demolition screwdrivers are for. i got a set (not klein obv)