Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good thread idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

i get around this by just using js, css and images and none of the other crap

how is it possible to avoid *squints* .jade files???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

The brushless setups are sick but i still have fear of vendor lock-in and i KNOW for a FACT that the month after i spend $500 on brushless tools that the line will be discontinued and I'll be hosed. 120v 60hz is always there.

not if you move to yurope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

me when i was trying to compress the rear brake pistons on a dodge caravan

you gotta apply pressure while twisting the piston at the same time because it's a threaded piston for some reason?? doing it without the correct tool took me hours and a lot of busted knuckles and hand cramps. rented the tool next time i had to do it and it took 10 minutes

ever try to remove screws from wood with your bare hands? its funny how that works. a tool fit for purpose sometimes actually makes a job easier

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

"gently caress that, i am sure i can cobble something together using the poo poo i have in the garage instead" - a complete fool

the guitarist in my band tried unscrewing something with a knife because he didnt have a screwdriver handy, at our last gig. now he has 3 stitches in his fretting hand lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

knives can sometimes be sharp and the experts say you should only use knives with handles

not with pedals?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

is a sewing machine a tool or a contraption

its a tool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i am trying to learn more about sewing and garment construction… i'm trying to get the lab to pick up a cnc embroidery machine

lol the most sargebrush way to do it. at least your true to yourself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

try hand embroidery too imo. it’s a lot of work and also kind of fun and gives you an appreciation for the craft

all you need to get started is an embroidery hoop, a needle, and thread. you don’t even need the special embroidery needles or thread if you don’t care

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

extremely pro tip:

when you start out with either sewing or embroidery, start out in a woven rather than knit fabric. knit fabrics (think a stretchy t shirt type of fabric) are easier to damage the structure and most importantly they are usually stretchy. stretch is the enemy of consistent and straight needlework, at least until you start to get some practice under your fingers

a medium-light weight woven fabric is ideal for starting some throwaway projects with because it’s durable, won’t stretch, and you won’t need any special tools to work with it (sometimes something thicker like denim can be a pita with normal needles and thread). the only real downside of woven fabrics is you have to finish the edges better or they’ll pull apart over time. DONt put unfinished edge woven fabric constructed stuff into the washing machine lol

imo an apron is a pretty sick early clothing project. the shapes are all simple, there’s a lot of room for error before you get something totally unusable, and you probably don’t care if it’s not stretchy or high quality fabric in general. you can put as much detail work into it as you want. you can even embroider it

e: if a 57 year old woman gives you some advice about any of this stuff and her advice doesn’t make sense to you and you think you see an easier way, your probably wrong. do it your own way to instantly discover why her advice actually makes sense but now it’s too late

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 10, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

hey now

you also have the extremely-high-margin low quality tools, like right after a capitalist gains control of a formerly-high-quality manufacturer

who built the formerly high quality manufacturer? was it a former soviet state owned factory?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

man give me some credit, i have to deal every day with students trying to come up with their own "smarter" way of doing something i told them to do differently and having it all blow up in their face. i know to listen to the 57 year old lady

im just relaying my own lived experience op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

If I were in charge of the government I would have appropriated the sawstop guy's patent, given him like 50 million for it or something, and then opened it up for free and made it a requirement for every table saw sold in the country. It is a total paradigm shift in safety for what is traditionally one of the most dangerous tools in a shop.

I popped ours just last week as a matter of fact. Didn't touch it with my finger, though. I was doing a complicated angled cut for a student and accidentally dinged the miter slide into the blade. Doy

i hope the miter slide is ok!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

his original plan was to license the patent to table saw manufacturers and he attempted to force them into it by lobbying for regulations that would require his (or equivalent, good luck) safety device lol

also have a sawstop, big fan of it, have never triggered it, hope to never trigger it

how do you know it works

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

I think it’s expensive to buy whatever you need to reset it

if that’s true… is it really worth it?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

How much do you value your fingers???

$250?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

seems easy to clean up to me. you just brush everything into the crumbhole and vaccuum it up off the floor later when it gets real bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

someone mentioned speedcrunch here a couple years ago, so that’s been my pc-based thing since then for stuff that’s not well suited to excel

i use sage math for that stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just use a python console

sage math is nice because you have notebook files that you can save and open again later in addition to all the more advanced built in math stuff like doing symbolic math and derivatives and integrals or w/e

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

the fart simp

it’s u

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you should call her

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

make a wooden mallet with ur chisel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

most other woodworking tools are basically just a fancy chisel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the size doesnt matter actually. ive been told.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

any new tools?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don’t like power woodworking tools in general. powered drills are ok i guess. if i ever have enough space to work some wood as a hobby i think im just gonna do all hand tools

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think this guys videos are relaxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FBgZxTECw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean, you wont go wrong if you take that advice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

cut down a tree and just make something out of it? lol.

tell ya what were gonna do:

were gonna take that tree and cut into super thin sheets right? then we’re gonna glue all those sheets together and make plywood. Then we’re gonna take that plywood and put it on this cnc router to cut all these parts out and then we’re gonna glue THOSE parts together and then we’re gonna put it BACK in the cnc router and let it finish off all this stairstepping.

Once THATS done, we’re gonna take some real thin slices of a different, nicer tree and glue THOSE veneers all over the other thing we just got finished gluing together.

And THAT my friends is WOODWORKING

whats the glue made out of? can you use all purpose?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

any toolws?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have sewing scissors in two sizes and they’re very well constructed and sharp and heavy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what if your flooring is just 1 giant piece of floor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the coarse side is meant to only be used to get a very badly abused knife edge full of dents and nicks back to a regular shape. it's very abrasive and removes a lot of material. the fine side is what you use to get the edge. i have a lansky one like that and it gets my knife sharp enough for 90% of kitchen stuff. it's not as sharp as what you see on those insane videos where they go through 20 different grit whetstones because that is absurd.

got an example video? id watch 20 whetstones

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

that channel took a really weird turn a while ago.

explain yourself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they just write that there because it tastes bad after it oxygenates. it doesn’t actually get moldy or anything that fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

lmao i bet all of your flathead screwdrivers also aren’t bent and chipped because you didn’t desperately use them as pry bars. lol

that’s what old kitchen knives are for