Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Guest appearances through the series of Christina Ricci and Paul Rudd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

in b4 a slew of "THAT 70S SHOW GOES WOKE" videos from a bunch of alt right youtubers

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I saw the first episode. None of those child actors have the future B to D list celebrity charisma I expect from a That 70s Show follow up, but they have exactly the sort of anti-charisma I’d expect from a Netflix sitcom.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They are orphans owned by Netflix's parent company, Blockbuster Holdings.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Since I posted I have been sitting here trying to remember the actor who played Eric Forman’s name and the best I can come up with is that it’s one of those weird white people ones, like Swaggin Breedlow.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's Topher McGuriey OP

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
How dare you besmirch the name of noted Star Wars and Hobbit fan editor Christopher "Topher" John Grace.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sleve McDichael

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Horeb Portnoy

Hidey St. Jelleric

Fawn Finder

Altgeld Newgut

Etc

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
eric fartman

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Dick Bonjovi

naem
May 29, 2011

when this show bombs I fully expect it the cast to show up on sunny in philadelphia

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Love the timely 90's joke about 90's movie Footloose.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
as someone who grew up in rural Wisconsin I always found it odd that Bob was the only one with a Midwestern accent. he was also the only real 70s guy on the show. really pulled his weight huh

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like this thread was originally posted like a week ago and turns out it was well over a month

Im realizing my perception of time is all hosed up and I'm kinda having a crisis about it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I feel like this thread was originally posted like a week ago and turns out it was well over a month

Im realizing my perception of time is all hosed up and I'm kinda having a crisis about it

On the percs again, Henry?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Kurtwood Smith turns 80 this year :aaaaa:

How the hell has he managed to not age a day since That '70s Show went off the air? :psyduck:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

You Are A Elf posted:

Kurtwood Smith turns 80 this year :aaaaa:

How the hell has he managed to not age a day since That '70s Show went off the air? :psyduck:

adrenochrome

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
he does look (slightly) older, Debra Jo Rupp on the other hand looks the same as she did in Seinfeld

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Now we need a Malcolm in the Midlife, where it's an adult Malcolm who is dealing with a lovely life after being a prodigy where he's found himself now the dumbest person in the room compared to kids half his age. Meanwhile, his kids are all prodigies and he's struggling to find ways to keep them humbled and thinking they're normal so they don't follow in his footsteps.

Also, Allison McBeal: A much older Ally is back and has gotten her own law firm where she's operating out of a repurposed shopping mall and handles non-glamourous cases. Theme song is Cake's Short Skirt and a Long Jacket.

Finally, Herman's Body: A follow up to Herman's Head where it's now humanized representations of an aging Herman's anatomy (heart, lungs, back, brain, skin, penis, etc.) discussing the issues he's trying to deal with in every episode.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

JediTalentAgent posted:

Finally, Herman's Body: A follow up to Herman's Head where it's now humanized representations of an aging Herman's anatomy (heart, lungs, back, brain, skin, penis, etc.) discussing the issues he's trying to deal with in every episode.

I’d watch this, he’ll, I thought I was the only one who thought Herman’s Head was a pretty good concept and a decent show.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I know a lot of people really like That 70s Show because it reminds them of being bored in their basement with their bros but for me the show that felt real was Malcolm

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now we need a Malcolm in the Midlife, where it's an adult Malcolm who is dealing with a lovely life after being a prodigy where he's found himself now the dumbest person in the room compared to kids half his age. Meanwhile, his kids are all prodigies and he's struggling to find ways to keep them humbled and thinking they're normal so they don't follow in his footsteps.

Also, Allison McBeal: A much older Ally is back and has gotten her own law firm where she's operating out of a repurposed shopping mall and handles non-glamourous cases. Theme song is Cake's Short Skirt and a Long Jacket.

And how about Two Guys, where Pete & Berg fall in love after after Sharon marries Johnny?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JediTalentAgent posted:

Herman's Liver is played by Artie Lange.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I just finished the first two episodes. It's cheesy but not terrible. Maybe I just have bad taste.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I thought the show was fun. Feels like if a Disney sitcom was allowed to talk about drugs, rock and roll and sex.

Hopefully the flesh out Ozzie, he deserves a bit more spotlight besides being a wallflower in most of his scenes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

If you dig into the history of that one it looks like there might have been some ultra-dark but very hard to substantiate poo poo going on with the three boys that makes a reunion much harder, although I'm dead sure lots of people have given it a go and with Cranston's second career wind winding down we're about at the window for that to either happen or not.

neato burrito posted:

I just finished the first two episodes. It's cheesy but not terrible. Maybe I just have bad taste.
It's That 70s Show, so nothing sacred was getting desecrated.

I watched the Ashton Kutcher/Mila Kunis cameo on YT because they're the only ones who seemed to genuinely enjoy their time on the show and their obvious joy at reprising their characters for one scene is pretty rare and infectious.

Everything else is a nope from me.

mysterious frankie posted:

I saw the first episode. None of those child actors have the future B to D list celebrity charisma I expect from a That 70s Show follow up, but they have exactly the sort of anti-charisma I’d expect from a Netflix sitcom.
The young stars of today/tomorrow are like plants on a spaceship-- they do the job and the nutritional content is as-good or even better, but you can't help but taste that it's all hydroponics that have only ever seen the sun through plates of UV and lead filtering and not an open-air Earth atmosphere.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

mind the walrus posted:

The young stars of today/tomorrow are like plants on a spaceship-- they do the job and the nutritional content is as-good or even better, but you can't help but taste that it's all hydroponics that have only ever seen the sun through plates of UV and lead filtering and not an open-air Earth atmosphere.

Ok there buddy, acting as though if some Japanese farmers grows a loving banger of a strawberry in space, you wouldn't be the first fucker to drop ¥900,000 on that thing and act like how space farming is so superior.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
the last season of that 70s show where its just fez, donna, jackie and seth meyers dumb brother really, really sucked

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember that time they smoked weed

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the show, it's easy to watch and the cast is fun. Good to see Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp get a dumptruck full of money for this. They're the best part of this show, as they were originally.

Looking forward when they make the 2000s show and I can be outraged that the xbox 360 has the wrong red lights on when it breaks or some other very important deal breaker.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Nooner posted:

You can’t do that on television!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nooner posted:

That's what they were doing?!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Is it weird that these kids are like 15 and smoking weed? Like weed hurts brain. Imagine they showed kids smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. My goodness.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
To save money, several episodes will be 30 minute long reaction videos to them watching 'new' episodes of Friends in real-time, ala that stunt that I think TV Land pulled about 20 years ago.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I just attributed it to Netflix's inability to crack the sitcom nut. They've figured out how to reliably produce workmanlike versions of all sorts of genres- film and television- but their sitcoms are uniformly execrable. I don't know what's different, but I've never seen even a mediocre Netflix original sitcom.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

JAMOOOL posted:

I know a lot of people really like That 70s Show because it reminds them of being bored in their basement with their bros but for me the show that felt real was Malcolm

For me that show was ReBoot.

edit: if the kids in this show aren't watching ReBoot in at least one episode as a meta joke i'm gonna be pissed

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 24, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I just attributed it to Netflix's inability to crack the sitcom nut. They've figured out how to reliably produce workmanlike versions of all sorts of genres- film and television- but their sitcoms are uniformly execrable. I don't know what's different, but I've never seen even a mediocre Netflix original sitcom.

something about the desperation of almost-live broadcast television made sitcoms what they were

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i really hope this show is a smash success and runs the full decade and into the 2000s so we can see them all experience 9/11

The gang smokes weed in Fezs hospital room after he gets hate crimed into a coma. Kelso hits on a sexy nurse by pretending to be a first responder.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

naem posted:

something about the desperation of almost-live broadcast television made sitcoms what they were

There's also something about the fact that you're sitting down at an assigned time on network TV with commercial breaks to watch it reinforces the audience aspect of it.