Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

XYZAB posted:

For me that show was ReBoot.

edit: if the kids in this show aren't watching ReBoot in at least one episode as a meta joke i'm gonna be pissed

They're gonna watch Guardian Code.

Cause that's the show the licensing is clear and easy to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

naem posted:

something about the desperation of almost-live broadcast television made sitcoms what they were

I do think it's that. Maybe also tv had a better system in place to find and exploit the right kind of talent for cheap (at least initially. after it blows up, they start asking for a ton of money per ep). As far as I know Netflix just reacts to trends identified by its algorithm by going to the directors and famous celebrities, throwing a large bag of money at their feet and saying "Do something with this. Our god demands it." That might not work with a sitcom. I dunno. Just making poo poo up.

naem
May 29, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

There's also something about the fact that you're sitting down at an assigned time on network TV with commercial breaks to watch it reinforces the audience aspect of it.

mysterious frankie posted:

I do think it's that. Maybe also tv had a better system in place to find and exploit the right kind of talent for cheap (at least initially. after it blows up, they start asking for a ton of money per ep). As far as I know Netflix just reacts to trends identified by its algorithm by going to the directors and famous celebrities, throwing a large bag of money at their feet and saying "Do something with this. Our god demands it." That might not work with a sitcom. I dunno. Just making poo poo up.

there used to be like, four channels

you could watch SHOW or you could watch, OTHER SHOW

there was something about that, they just had to throw everything at it to work

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

mind the walrus posted:

If you dig into the history of that one it looks like there might have been some ultra-dark but very hard to substantiate poo poo going on with the three boys that makes a reunion much harder, although I'm dead sure lots of people have given it a go and with Cranston's second career wind winding down we're about at the window for that to either happen or not.

I’m sorry what? I need to know more about this. I know the other 2 started doing behind the scenes work more while Frankie decided to try being a race car driver but I didn’t know anything about cast issues besides Jane Kaczmarek being rumored to be difficult to work with.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Definitely touched wieners together

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've never heard of that but I think something is going on with the kid who played Dewey, he apparently has no interest in being in show business or social media or anything. it's been brought up that he's the one holding up a potential reunion and Frankie Muniz was kinda cagey in trying to explain why

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The rumor is some producer did sex stuff to Dewey

sad question
May 30, 2020

Red and Kitty fly planes into world trade center in the series finale. They've had enough of dumbasses

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

All the kids get drafted to go to the golf war and come back with PTSD

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Saalkin posted:

life on the green is pretty hard

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Saalkin posted:

That’s like the whole plot of Caddyshack.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mysterious frankie posted:

Netflix has to make sure their shows are hitting the right taste clusters or the algorithm will kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzpihoNJW2E

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Cowman posted:

life on the green is pretty hard

Fore.

Fore never changes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

naem posted:

there used to be like, four channels

you could watch SHOW or you could watch, OTHER SHOW

there was something about that, they just had to throw everything at it to work

So, yeah, maybe, but speaking as a weirdo who really likes sitcoms- even modern ones created for a much vaster market- I think the main attraction of your garden variety entry is likable performers. Not great writing or even acting, but a certain kind of charisma that makes it pleasant to spend time with them. The familiar sitcom beats, the farces, patter and low hanging jokes are all important, but your average garbo sitcom lives or dies by the production's ability to find the right combination of affable script disgorgers and place them in front of cameras 10-26 times a year. In That 90s Show, the old cast are the only ones that have that charisma. I agree with whoever said the kids read lines like Disney Channel sitcom actors, and maybe that's the nostalgic draw, but I didn't have cable as a kid so for me it evokes nothing and is not pleasant. Or unpleasant. It's blank noise coming out of indistinct forms. The laugh track is more distinctive.

Please don't load me in a cannon and fire me at Quora for writing all that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yea definitely a big part of the original's appeal, it was pretty clear that several of them were gonna be major stars

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sorry I spelt it the Canadian way

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

sad question posted:

Red and Kitty fly planes into world trade center in the series finale. They've had enough of dumbasses

:911:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
gently caress me this show sucks. Unfunny laugh tracked Nonsence, impossibly diverse group of friends and Eric seems to have dumped Donna and married the joker.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

JAMOOOL posted:

idk I still watch classic Simpsons now and then and they're still very funny

The Simpsons is great, it's this weird endless online debate about when the show stopped being good that I take issue with. The answer is always "whatever season was released after the poster stopped being 16 years old".

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I watched the whole season, it was fine, even very funny sometimes (Red and Kitty get all the best lines). My wife and I don't usually agree on what we consider funny, but we both genuinely liked it. I think that the reason there's a lot of backlash is that it follows an anachronistic format that feels very out of place in today's media. Someone mentioned it felt like teen Disney; I thought it felt more like Full House. However; I think that the bones are good and hope there's a second season.

At least it's better than Velma.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Beartaco posted:

The Simpsons is great, it's this weird endless online debate about when the show stopped being good that I take issue with. The answer is always "whatever season was released after the poster stopped being 16 years old".

No. It's season 8. Nine or ten if we're being generous. The show has sucked for so long that people have now forgotten how good it once was. Watch a season 3-7 episode and tell me anything of the last 20 years is the same quality. I dare ya!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

neato burrito posted:

I watched the whole season, it was fine, even very funny sometimes (Red and Kitty get all the best lines). My wife and I don't usually agree on what we consider funny, but we both genuinely liked it. I think that the reason there's a lot of backlash is that it follows an anachronistic format that feels very out of place in today's media. Someone mentioned it felt like teen Disney; I thought it felt more like Full House. However; I think that the bones are good and hope there's a second season.

Well, when you place the bar on the ground like that…

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No. It's season 8. Nine or ten if we're being generous. The show has sucked for so long that people have now forgotten how good it once was. Watch a season 3-7 episode and tell me anything of the last 20 years is the same quality. I dare ya!

Gotta include all of season 2. Simpson & Delilah, Dancin’ Homer, 8th commandment, freaking Blood Feud?!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gotta include all of season 2. Simpson & Delilah, Dancin’ Homer, 8th commandment, freaking Blood Feud?!

I love season 2! But when suggesting quintessential Simpsons for people to revisit, it's not exactly what people expect or think of. Season 2 is a bit more down to earth and slightly darker and more somber in tone than the rest of the good seasons. I also definitely include season 8 in "the good seasons", but season 8 is where you start to see little snippets of things that would become annoying staples of the bad episodes.

But yeah, The Simpsons has sucked for almost 25 years now, so I'm sure there are plenty of Gen-Z'ers who have never known the Simpsons airing as something other than low effort background noise comedy - "It stopped being good in season 26!!" or whatever. But just as many who maybe once enjoyed the show in its prime but didn't keep up or pay close attention through its' rapid decline have now just been conditioned to seeing the bad episodes and have forgotten that it was once top tier.

If it had ended around season 11 it would have been remembered as unquestionably one of the best comedies of all time. Instead it is now only known for being on the air forever.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

neato burrito posted:

Watching Velma is worse than being on fire and watching Velma, because there’s no distractions.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Mindy Kaling loving sucks so hard. What a charmed life she has lived.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Extra row of tits posted:

Watching Velma is worse than being on fire and watching Velma, because there’s no distractions.

Some animatics leaked from the 5th season of The Boondocks that got cancelled by hbo max. I really hope it wasn't cancelled in favor of letting Velma get produced.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Lister posted:

Some animatics leaked from the 5th season of The Boondocks that got cancelled by hbo max. I really hope it wasn't cancelled in favor of letting Velma get produced.

I don’t think I want Boondocks without Jonathan Witherspoon.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tryna cop a 3 wheeler

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Szyznyk posted:

I don’t think I want Boondocks without Jonathan Witherspoon.

and ed asner/charlie murphy

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I love season 2! But when suggesting quintessential Simpsons for people to revisit, it's not exactly what people expect or think of. Season 2 is a bit more down to earth and slightly darker and more somber in tone than the rest of the good seasons. I also definitely include season 8 in "the good seasons", but season 8 is where you start to see little snippets of things that would become annoying staples of the bad episodes.

But yeah, The Simpsons has sucked for almost 25 years now, so I'm sure there are plenty of Gen-Z'ers who have never known the Simpsons airing as something other than low effort background noise comedy - "It stopped being good in season 26!!" or whatever. But just as many who maybe once enjoyed the show in its prime but didn't keep up or pay close attention through its' rapid decline have now just been conditioned to seeing the bad episodes and have forgotten that it was once top tier.

If it had ended around season 11 it would have been remembered as unquestionably one of the best comedies of all time. Instead it is now only known for being on the air forever.

I watched Homerpalooza the other day and that one definitely had all the elements of what would make the show suck later on (random guest appearances, a main character expressing a major interest in something they'd never mentioned before, and a plot which even for the Simpsons makes no sense) but the writing on it is so good that you kinda ignore all that

I really don't think there's an SNL thing going on here, where the show has always been hit or miss but you're more forgiving of it when you're young and it's "your" cast. there are a lot of latter-day Simpsons episodes which I thought were surprisingly solid but there are a lot more I just couldn't finish past the first break, the S2-8 episodes were just objectively better and idk if I've ever heard anyone claim otherwse

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

p much
my chick liked one of her shows tho :shrug:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

wonder if Seth Myers' brother who suddenly became a main character in the final season is gonna make an appearance. if nothing else it would nice of the producers to just call him and see what's up. I'm sure he'd appreciate that

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lister posted:

That show's dogshit garbage too

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

wonder if Seth Myers' brother who suddenly became a main character in the final season is gonna make an appearance. if nothing else it would nice of the producers to just call him and see what's up. I'm sure he'd appreciate that

I don’t think the CHiPs reunion threw a bone to the dude who replaced John.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lister posted:

If it was anything like the comeback season its probably for the best it was cancelled.

Also as other posters have said some iconic voices/characters are gone.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

JAMOOOL posted:

I've never heard of that but I think something is going on with the kid who played Dewey, he apparently has no interest in being in show business or social media or anything. it's been brought up that he's the one holding up a potential reunion and Frankie Muniz was kinda cagey in trying to explain why

Someone posted an anonymous AMA on Reddit, said he was a child actor on a beloved sitcom, said he got passed around and became a junkie. I read the thread myself but it was deleted I think. Through some internet detectiving the general consensus became that it was Dewey.

He specifically said none of the actors knew about it, and it could be a complete fabrication or someone else entirely.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

kntfkr posted:

She's going to get Roiland level cancelled based on the weird poo poo she puts in every show. No evidence and I hope not but just a vibe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

slurm posted:

She's going to get Roiland level cancelled based on the weird poo poo she puts in every show. No evidence and I hope not but just a vibe.

If you are masochistic like me you’ve waded into the comments on Velma and it is heartening to learn chuds and cool people agree: Velma is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you are masochistic like me you’ve waded into the comments on Velma and it is heartening to learn chuds and cool people agree: Velma is poo poo.

The Scooby Doo franchise is against all odds something of a national treasure and I don't think she really understands what makes it tick well enough to deconstruct it in a gritty adult version.