Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

why are all remakes gritty now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I don't doubt Velma sucks but can anyone explain why?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

kntfkr posted:

Mindy Kaling loving sucks so hard. What a charmed life she has lived.

She's lady Jonah Hill. They're both marginal talents that won't stop self-promoting, and I wouldn't dislike them so intensely if they weren't so egotistic. Hey, I was quoted two-three times in this thread; I should definitely make a me-focused megathread called The Frankie Experience.

Also, that Carbonaro guy too. Who the hell are you? Why do I want to feel your effect? Please be more famous and/or ttalented before you create a show with your name in the title, phrased in a way that suggests that you are a rollercoaster, a federal initiative, or a scientific principal that undergirds reality.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

naem posted:

naem posted:

naem posted:

naem posted:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
"Lets bring back some old lighthearted show and make it DARK and GRITTY, that'll really pop some monocles!" seems like one of the last parts of the early 2000 edgelord poo poo that people are still clinging to for some reason and idgi

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

naem posted:

As I understand it, Velma isn't so much a dark and gritty remake as it's blatantly and obviously some other crap that Mindy Kaling pitched and got produced because they could slap the Scooby-Doo label on top.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I would post in The Frankie Experience

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Nooner posted:

"Lets bring back some old lighthearted show and make it DARK and GRITTY, that'll really pop some monocles!" seems like one of the last parts of the early 2000 edgelord poo poo that people are still clinging to for some reason and idgi

We need to someone to do the reverse. Give us a bright and happy Seven or Taxi Driver or something!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Saalkin posted:

I don't doubt Velma sucks but can anyone explain why?

Gotta read the rlm thread fam, hobo Jesus died for your sins oer there

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nooner posted:

Same problem with modern Superman takes, because they force him to be gritty instead of being that hopeful hero he's been known to be for decades.

Meanwhile, the Marvel movies made Captain America be every bit as "unrealistically" moral and upstanding and people loved that poo poo.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
wait is that 90s show gritty

does red get exploded on the front of a truck

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this was in the 2nd episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mojo1701a posted:

Same problem with modern Superman takes, because they force him to be gritty instead of being that hopeful hero he's been known to be for decades.

Meanwhile, the Marvel movies made Captain America be every bit as "unrealistically" moral and upstanding and people loved that poo poo.

Right before the Capt. America MCU film came out I remember people making posts and videos about how Capt. America was a pacifist and wouldn't carry a gun and kill people, even in wartime.

However I'd say they did 'gritty' Cap up a bit. Let him drink booze, let him have very small hints of selfishness and ego, etc. These were things that probably were a bit verboten by Marvel for a while in various times, but it probably is also helped by the comics gradually shifting aspects of his character starting in the 70s or so, after some 30 years of his existence.

About the closest "Non-death of superman" gritty thing about the character I can think of is the story of him willfully executing a parallel universe version of Zod and the gang https://screenrant.com/superman-killing-zod-worse-more-brutal-dc-comics/