Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I saw the first episode. None of those child actors have the future B to D list celebrity charisma I expect from a That 70s Show follow up, but they have exactly the sort of anti-charisma I’d expect from a Netflix sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Since I posted I have been sitting here trying to remember the actor who played Eric Forman’s name and the best I can come up with is that it’s one of those weird white people ones, like Swaggin Breedlow.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Horeb Portnoy

Hidey St. Jelleric

Fawn Finder

Altgeld Newgut

Etc

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

The young stars of today/tomorrow are like plants on a spaceship-- they do the job and the nutritional content is as-good or even better, but you can't help but taste that it's all hydroponics that have only ever seen the sun through plates of UV and lead filtering and not an open-air Earth atmosphere.

I just attributed it to Netflix's inability to crack the sitcom nut. They've figured out how to reliably produce workmanlike versions of all sorts of genres- film and television- but their sitcoms are uniformly execrable. I don't know what's different, but I've never seen even a mediocre Netflix original sitcom.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

naem posted:

something about the desperation of almost-live broadcast television made sitcoms what they were

I do think it's that. Maybe also tv had a better system in place to find and exploit the right kind of talent for cheap (at least initially. after it blows up, they start asking for a ton of money per ep). As far as I know Netflix just reacts to trends identified by its algorithm by going to the directors and famous celebrities, throwing a large bag of money at their feet and saying "Do something with this. Our god demands it." That might not work with a sitcom. I dunno. Just making poo poo up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

naem posted:

there used to be like, four channels

you could watch SHOW or you could watch, OTHER SHOW

there was something about that, they just had to throw everything at it to work

So, yeah, maybe, but speaking as a weirdo who really likes sitcoms- even modern ones created for a much vaster market- I think the main attraction of your garden variety entry is likable performers. Not great writing or even acting, but a certain kind of charisma that makes it pleasant to spend time with them. The familiar sitcom beats, the farces, patter and low hanging jokes are all important, but your average garbo sitcom lives or dies by the production's ability to find the right combination of affable script disgorgers and place them in front of cameras 10-26 times a year. In That 90s Show, the old cast are the only ones that have that charisma. I agree with whoever said the kids read lines like Disney Channel sitcom actors, and maybe that's the nostalgic draw, but I didn't have cable as a kid so for me it evokes nothing and is not pleasant. Or unpleasant. It's blank noise coming out of indistinct forms. The laugh track is more distinctive.

Please don't load me in a cannon and fire me at Quora for writing all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Mindy Kaling loving sucks so hard. What a charmed life she has lived.

She's lady Jonah Hill. They're both marginal talents that won't stop self-promoting, and I wouldn't dislike them so intensely if they weren't so egotistic. Hey, I was quoted two-three times in this thread; I should definitely make a me-focused megathread called The Frankie Experience.

Also, that Carbonaro guy too. Who the hell are you? Why do I want to feel your effect? Please be more famous and/or ttalented before you create a show with your name in the title, phrased in a way that suggests that you are a rollercoaster, a federal initiative, or a scientific principal that undergirds reality.