Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Beartaco posted:

The Simpsons is great, it's this weird endless online debate about when the show stopped being good that I take issue with. The answer is always "whatever season was released after the poster stopped being 16 years old".

No. It's season 8. Nine or ten if we're being generous. The show has sucked for so long that people have now forgotten how good it once was. Watch a season 3-7 episode and tell me anything of the last 20 years is the same quality. I dare ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gotta include all of season 2. Simpson & Delilah, Dancin’ Homer, 8th commandment, freaking Blood Feud?!

I love season 2! But when suggesting quintessential Simpsons for people to revisit, it's not exactly what people expect or think of. Season 2 is a bit more down to earth and slightly darker and more somber in tone than the rest of the good seasons. I also definitely include season 8 in "the good seasons", but season 8 is where you start to see little snippets of things that would become annoying staples of the bad episodes.

But yeah, The Simpsons has sucked for almost 25 years now, so I'm sure there are plenty of Gen-Z'ers who have never known the Simpsons airing as something other than low effort background noise comedy - "It stopped being good in season 26!!" or whatever. But just as many who maybe once enjoyed the show in its prime but didn't keep up or pay close attention through its' rapid decline have now just been conditioned to seeing the bad episodes and have forgotten that it was once top tier.

If it had ended around season 11 it would have been remembered as unquestionably one of the best comedies of all time. Instead it is now only known for being on the air forever.