Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
kinda fun that this show is a double anachronism, both in that it's about the 90s and also that this whole kind of multi-cam sitcom with a laugh track kinda died out when Charlie Sheen went bonkers. hell they don't even do the Big Bang Theory anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Beartaco posted:

See also: the entirety of the Simpsons thread

idk I still watch classic Simpsons now and then and they're still very funny

That 70s Show was corny and really hacky at times but it did kinda capture the essence of teenage boredom and anxiety. though I guess a lot of the appeal was that the actors were all pretty funny and it was clear that some of them were on their way to becoming major stars. idk if I feel that with the new cast. anyway we watched the first 2 episodes, they were okay and kinda cute. bothered a bit by the scene where they're like "oh we found this old baggie from my Dad" - for one 20 year old weed would probably combust on sight. for two there is zero chance that the old crew would've just left it down there, if there's one thing dopey teens are good at it's knowing where the weed is at all times. for three how the hell did Red & Kitty never smell it down there?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

as someone who grew up in rural Wisconsin I always found it odd that Bob was the only one with a Midwestern accent. he was also the only real 70s guy on the show. really pulled his weight huh

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

he does look (slightly) older, Debra Jo Rupp on the other hand looks the same as she did in Seinfeld

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I know a lot of people really like That 70s Show because it reminds them of being bored in their basement with their bros but for me the show that felt real was Malcolm

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I've never heard of that but I think something is going on with the kid who played Dewey, he apparently has no interest in being in show business or social media or anything. it's been brought up that he's the one holding up a potential reunion and Frankie Muniz was kinda cagey in trying to explain why

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yea definitely a big part of the original's appeal, it was pretty clear that several of them were gonna be major stars

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I love season 2! But when suggesting quintessential Simpsons for people to revisit, it's not exactly what people expect or think of. Season 2 is a bit more down to earth and slightly darker and more somber in tone than the rest of the good seasons. I also definitely include season 8 in "the good seasons", but season 8 is where you start to see little snippets of things that would become annoying staples of the bad episodes.

But yeah, The Simpsons has sucked for almost 25 years now, so I'm sure there are plenty of Gen-Z'ers who have never known the Simpsons airing as something other than low effort background noise comedy - "It stopped being good in season 26!!" or whatever. But just as many who maybe once enjoyed the show in its prime but didn't keep up or pay close attention through its' rapid decline have now just been conditioned to seeing the bad episodes and have forgotten that it was once top tier.

If it had ended around season 11 it would have been remembered as unquestionably one of the best comedies of all time. Instead it is now only known for being on the air forever.

I watched Homerpalooza the other day and that one definitely had all the elements of what would make the show suck later on (random guest appearances, a main character expressing a major interest in something they'd never mentioned before, and a plot which even for the Simpsons makes no sense) but the writing on it is so good that you kinda ignore all that

I really don't think there's an SNL thing going on here, where the show has always been hit or miss but you're more forgiving of it when you're young and it's "your" cast. there are a lot of latter-day Simpsons episodes which I thought were surprisingly solid but there are a lot more I just couldn't finish past the first break, the S2-8 episodes were just objectively better and idk if I've ever heard anyone claim otherwse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

wonder if Seth Myers' brother who suddenly became a main character in the final season is gonna make an appearance. if nothing else it would nice of the producers to just call him and see what's up. I'm sure he'd appreciate that