Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 90s show should start in 1991 at the start of the school year with a group of high school freshmen and everyone is dressed up in 80s metal band shirts and NKOTB stuff.

One of their friends arrives, shaken, looking 'different'.

"It's Monday! You wear Megadeth shirts on Mondays! You're all dressed up like you're Brawny man just getting out of bed!"
"I saw something last night. I was watching 120 Minutes on MTV before I went to..."
"That's for ****** and ****** and **********! What were you watching that for? You got a crush on The Cure?"
"Damnit, listen! There was band called Nirvana. They had a song called "Smells Like Teen Spirit", it's..."
"Sound like a bunch of perverts... What's so--"

Suddenly someone turns on the MTV and the video starts playing for the song and all of them have their eyes glaze over.

After the cut to the next day, they're all sitting around wearing flannel and REM shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Guest appearances through the series of Christina Ricci and Paul Rudd.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Now we need a Malcolm in the Midlife, where it's an adult Malcolm who is dealing with a lovely life after being a prodigy where he's found himself now the dumbest person in the room compared to kids half his age. Meanwhile, his kids are all prodigies and he's struggling to find ways to keep them humbled and thinking they're normal so they don't follow in his footsteps.

Also, Allison McBeal: A much older Ally is back and has gotten her own law firm where she's operating out of a repurposed shopping mall and handles non-glamourous cases. Theme song is Cake's Short Skirt and a Long Jacket.

Finally, Herman's Body: A follow up to Herman's Head where it's now humanized representations of an aging Herman's anatomy (heart, lungs, back, brain, skin, penis, etc.) discussing the issues he's trying to deal with in every episode.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
To save money, several episodes will be 30 minute long reaction videos to them watching 'new' episodes of Friends in real-time, ala that stunt that I think TV Land pulled about 20 years ago.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Same problem with modern Superman takes, because they force him to be gritty instead of being that hopeful hero he's been known to be for decades.

Meanwhile, the Marvel movies made Captain America be every bit as "unrealistically" moral and upstanding and people loved that poo poo.

Right before the Capt. America MCU film came out I remember people making posts and videos about how Capt. America was a pacifist and wouldn't carry a gun and kill people, even in wartime.

However I'd say they did 'gritty' Cap up a bit. Let him drink booze, let him have very small hints of selfishness and ego, etc. These were things that probably were a bit verboten by Marvel for a while in various times, but it probably is also helped by the comics gradually shifting aspects of his character starting in the 70s or so, after some 30 years of his existence.

About the closest "Non-death of superman" gritty thing about the character I can think of is the story of him willfully executing a parallel universe version of Zod and the gang https://screenrant.com/superman-killing-zod-worse-more-brutal-dc-comics/