Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure it's not great but baileys just tastes like chemicals, that at least tasted like food.

Unrelated but while the cold is shite it does make nice mornings.

urge to listen to KLF intensifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

UKMT Winterval 2022 - Unlit Sheepland

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Now it's December I am allowing myself to get christmassy. The elf on the shelf has arrived, the advent calendars are out, I'm poor, the arguments about who goes where for Xmas dinner begin. I'm going back to bed. But happy December. Here's to a winter of strikes and blackouts and the gov and opposition ignoring both. loving heap of a country.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Baileys is the thing I miss most about being teetotal.

As my teetotalness of the past 17 years is because of bad reaction to alcohol (allergic reaction - tachycardia, feeling the blood thumping round my body for hours afterwards etc) not 'clean living' or religion, I was happy to discover last year that I can actually cope with the special Christmas cream with baileys in it. Brandy or cointreau cream however sets me off badly so need to avoid completely.

Meanwhile:

Can any of you good folk who know anything about electrics tell me: do RCDs have an 'ampage' in the way that fuses do?

The water heater over the bathroom sink in the guest room of our block of flats is kaput and being replaced today. Anyway, it seems to be wired into the same circuit as the ground floor sockets and when the cleaner's tried to use it, it's been causing the RCDs to go and also blowing out the front door number keypad so muggins here gets 2000 old ladies knocking on my door when I'm trying to work complaining that their friends can't get in or whatever.

My concern is that once the heater is replaced, it'll start off again if for some reason it is overloading the ampage of the RCD **if** such a thing happens!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Laphroaig is good for a cheapish whisky. The lidl Highland whisky is the champ for value imo
Lagavulin is crap and costs way too much

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

rocket_Magnet posted:

Am I in a minority being irritated by that I frontpage/headline?

I'm all for the eradication of Christianity in the UK but that headline makes my eye twitch and has been in the back of my head all day.

It's just the most progressive papers in the UK reporting that white genocide is real and the Muslims are swarming.

Its the sign of a healthy free press

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Time for Lebkuchen and Carols from King's.

I am an atheist and I cannot abide nonreligious carols.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can any of you good folk who know anything about electrics tell me: do RCDs have an 'ampage' in the way that fuses do?

The water heater over the bathroom sink in the guest room of our block of flats is kaput and being replaced today. Anyway, it seems to be wired into the same circuit as the ground floor sockets and when the cleaner's tried to use it, it's been causing the RCDs to go and also blowing out the front door number keypad so muggins here gets 2000 old ladies knocking on my door when I'm trying to work complaining that their friends can't get in or whatever.

My concern is that once the heater is replaced, it'll start off again if for some reason it is overloading the ampage of the RCD **if** such a thing happens!

Unless something is very wrong there will be a circuit breaker that limits ampage going out through your ground floor sockets and the ampage will be printed somewhere on the breaker, e.g. mine say "B32" for a 32-amp breaker. Take a photo of the one that's tripping?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think we should have a twisto memorial plaque in the op, to commemorate our greatest ever poster.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

RCDs trip on earth fault, not overcurrent. Older domestic consumer units will have a rack of MCBs (which do trip on overcurrent) all protected by one single RCD. If its the RCD that's operating rather than the MCBs then it's not an issue with amperage, but current is escaping somewhere it shouldn't.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like the carols from Kings.

I also end up listening to an enormous amount of Arvo Pärt at this time of year too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

josh04 posted:

Unless something is very wrong there will be a circuit breaker that limits ampage going out through your ground floor sockets and the ampage will be printed somewhere on the breaker, e.g. mine say "B32" for a 32-amp breaker. Take a photo of the one that's tripping?

kecske posted:

RCDs trip on earth fault, not overcurrent. Older domestic consumer units will have a rack of MCBs (which do trip on overcurrent) all protected by one single RCD. If its the RCD that's operating rather than the MCBs then it's not an issue with amperage, but current is escaping somewhere it shouldn't.

Thanks chaps.

I can't take a photo as it is too high up! But I can ask the electrician when he gets here about that.

Current escaping sounds dangerous!

I have a problem with the old ladies that we had an ancient fuse box in there. We changed it to RCDs earlier this year and now it has been tripping which after much experimentation and deduction I have finally tracked to the water heater (and that is definitely bust).

But the old ladies are convinced that the electricians put the RCDs in wrong and I'm saying that no, the RCDs are doing their job and the old fuses weren't!
What it is to be a young old lady instead of an old old lady. :sigh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Breakers and RCBOs (RCD and breaker in one) have a rated current in the same way that a fuse wire does, and a curve, which is how long and by how much you have to exceed that by and for in order for it to pop. So a 32A breaker might withstand 40A for two seconds when a motor starts up, or 35A for a minute, but anything exceeding those will throw it.

RCDs/GFIs/RCBOs are different in that they detect current going where it shouldn't (like through your chest cavity to the tap or radiator that you're touching). They're designed to break with tiny currents like 20mA (0.02A) within the space of a couple of AC cycles, so 10s of milliseconds. If the RCDs are tripping that's usually a sign that there's an earth leakage

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's just the most progressive papers in the UK reporting that white genocide is real and the Muslims are swarming.

Its the sign of a healthy free press
We are all worshipping the Great Deceiver and an iguana now.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure it's not great but baileys just tastes like chemicals

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Breakers and RCBOs (RCD and breaker in one) have a rated current in the same way that a fuse wire does, and a curve, which is how long and by how much you have to exceed that by and for in order for it to pop. So a 32A breaker might withstand 40A for two seconds when a motor starts up, or 35A for a minute, but anything exceeding those will throw it.

RCDs/GFIs/RCBOs are different in that they detect current going where it shouldn't (like through your chest cavity to the tap or radiator that you're touching). They're designed to break with tiny currents like 20mA (0.02A) within the space of a couple of AC cycles, so 10s of milliseconds. If the RCDs are tripping that's usually a sign that there's an earth leakage

Earth leakage - also sounds dangerous (I guess that's the same as 'current going where it shouldn't' ) - I'll ask electrician about that too when he comes!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Does anyone have any recommendations where to get new blinds from? We're getting new windows put in and the old blinds likely won't fit, and are old and crap anyway.

Looking mainly for wood venetian style slat blinds.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

I like the carols from Kings.

I also end up listening to an enormous amount of Arvo Pärt at this time of year too.

Bit of an insensitive username given recent events :argh:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

eh.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mourning Due posted:

My wife's Welsh and turned me onto https://www.penderyn.wales/ , REALLY nice. Very light in colour, not peaty/smokey if that's your thing, just genuinely high quality whisky IMO.

A friend who is much more into whisky than me got a bottle of this with high hopes and said it was very grim and he was extremely disappointed.

I'm a big fan of the Dalwhinnie winter malt, it seems to be on offer quite a lot too. I've never seen a distiller recommend you stick their whisky in the freezer before but it actually does work quite nicely and the taste really evolves as you sip it while it warms up. Very different experience to most types of scotch for sure but worth a go.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

ThomasPaine posted:

A friend who is much more into whisky than me got a bottle of this with high hopes and said it was very grim and he was extremely disappointed.

😮 Dang, that's a shame!

No dig on your mate: As I've gotten older, I've finally come to terms with the fact that if I like something subjectively, and others don't: that's totally fine for both of us. I used to feel like, if I like thing X of category Y and a connoisseur of category Y hates thing X: then I must not be properly versed in category Y and should stop enjoying thing X.

Now I feel like I'm in a much happier mindset, just realising that everyone's tastes are different, and if I, for example, prefer Vanilla Coke (full fat) to regular Coke, and other people find it far too sweet: good on us both!

I've tried supposedly "excellent" champagne, that to me smelled of parmesan cheese with a whiff of fish. Others can like that to, but for me, not to my taste.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm a big fan of the Dalwhinnie winter malt, it seems to be on offer quite a lot too. I've never seen a distiller recommend you stick their whisky in the freezer before but it actually does work quite nicely and the taste really evolves as you sip it while it warms up. Very different experience to most types of scotch for sure but worth a go.

Famous Grouse produced a product line a few years back called Snow Grouse that was meant to be chilled below zero. No idea if they still make it, wasn't really anything special though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mourning Due posted:

😮 Dang, that's a shame!

No dig on your mate: As I've gotten older, I've finally come to terms with the fact that if I like something subjectively, and others don't: that's totally fine for both of us. I used to feel like, if I like thing X of category Y and a connoisseur of category Y hates thing X: then I must not be properly versed in category Y and should stop enjoying thing X.

Now I feel like I'm in a much happier mindset, just realising that everyone's tastes are different, and if I, for example, prefer Vanilla Coke (full fat) to regular Coke, and other people find it far too sweet: good on us both!

I've tried supposedly "excellent" champagne, that to me smelled of parmesan cheese with a whiff of fish. Others can like that to, but for me, not to my taste.

Oh yeah I agree. I will quite happily mix scotch with coke if I'm in the mood despite the horrified looks of those around me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
gently caress yeah, maximise just enjoying the things you like and not minding if people who know more tease you about it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah, maximise just enjoying the things you like and not minding if people who know more tease you about it.

Which is why I love a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream to drink in a hot bath.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Perfect Element posted:

I think we should have a twisto memorial plaque in the op, to commemorate our greatest ever poster.

From what people who knew him better have said, Twisto was the kind of person who could tell you the location of every blue plaque in London but would be horrified at the thought that he might receive one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Personally I absolutely adore Dalwhinnie to drink. However I’m a huge fan of Ardbeg for making my whisky and ginger fudge- the smokey flavour really comes through amazingly.

Also right now I’m laid up on enforced bedrest while pumped full of diazepam and naproxen after getting hit with crippling back spasms. Apparently making something in the region of 200kg of fudge recently and working non stop since mid October without two days off together are bad for the body and soul- who would have thunk it?

Luckily my apprentice has turned out to be super talented at fudge making and is able to take up some of the slack, as well as helping lift me off the floor when my back went and left me doing an impression of an overturned turtle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dalwhinnie doublewood is very nice but it's so light that it's also only fleetingly whiskey-flavoured. a good starter whiskey imo, for pets or small children, but not one to recommend to those who like to chew peat or who need something the consistency of golden syrup

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dalwhinnie doublewood is very nice but it's so light that it's also only fleetingly whiskey-flavoured. a good starter whiskey imo, for pets or small children, but not one to recommend to those who like to chew peat or who need something the consistency of golden syrup

Solid username/post combo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My favourite whisky, however, is Drambuie.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63821836

Ian Blackford has stepped down as SNP leader at Westminster.

There was already talk of a coup at the AGM prior to this. Could lead to some "fun" within the SNP depending on who replaces him.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Leggsy posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63821836

Ian Blackford has stepped down as SNP leader at Westminster.

There was already talk of a coup at the AGM prior to this. Could lead to some "fun" within the SNP depending on who replaces him.

But who'll now call for whoever is this week's prime minister to resign at every available opportunity?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

But who'll now call for whoever is this week's prime minister to resign at every available opportunity?

Me (banging clipboard): MHARI BLACK MHARI BLACK

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

My favourite posh-ish whisky is Bunnahabhain 12 which is distinctly not peaty. Great gift material for the rosy-cheeked booze enjoyers in your life.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

piano chimp posted:

My favourite posh-ish whisky is Bunnahabhain 12 which is distinctly not peaty. Great gift material for the rosy-cheeked booze enjoyers in your life.

This was my Christmas whiskey gift to myself last year and it was very nice but I moved the bottle when we reorganised the kitchen at some point and only recently rediscovered it, so I get to enjoy it twice!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

piano chimp posted:

Mmmm "River-bottom 12", sounds tasty

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
River bottom water from the Hebrides is probably safer and tastier than English tap water.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The difference between "river-bottom water" and "bottom water" is important

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The difference between "river-bottom water" and "bottom water" is important

again, not in england

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

bottom water is the water that comes out of your bum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

and that goes into the river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm sure there was a song about this in The Book of Mormon.