Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As a N.I. resident i fervently wish for the day when Bushmills distillery is put to the torch. :barf:

I like Suntory Toki or Maker's Mark for preference but my budget drives me to Tesco own band vodka if i want a drink... Baileys has gone way up in price this year.

edit: cat: :yaycat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a basic bitch who likes bourbon or rum with sweet artificial flavours, like Red Stag or Tennessee Apple. Yes it's just JD with fake apple flavouring, but it tastes great with a bit of ice and that's good enough for me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I got given a monthly whiskey tasting subscription as a birthday gift last year and as a result I have switched from spending all my disposable income on videogames to whiskey instead 👍🏻

I’m now one of those people who will try to press a dram of my new favourite on anyone who walks in my front door.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah, maximise just enjoying the things you like and not minding if people who know more tease you about it.

What if I enjoy voting libdem

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Not a whiskey drinker at all. I mostly drink aldi spiced rum with cherry Pepsi, or Aldi ruby port.
I did like red legg when I got given some but the price!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TACD posted:

I got given a monthly whiskey tasting subscription as a birthday gift last year and as a result I have switched from spending all my disposable income on videogames to whiskey instead 👍🏻

That sounds fun, I got a craft beer sub once and every one of them tasted of hops and car air fresheners. Whisky sounds more promising though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hate the really hoppy beers. It's why I usually go for stouts, ales and that sort of thing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm a basic bitch who likes bourbon or rum with sweet artificial flavours, like Red Stag or Tennessee Apple. Yes it's just JD with fake apple flavouring, but it tastes great with a bit of ice and that's good enough for me.

Kraken and Coke, can't beat it.

I was told once that folk can have very different reactions to whiskeys based on the blend or whatever.

I'm not sure how true that is but I tried a whiskey once and just one sip of it was enough to put me off it.

I see other folk in real life and TV necking the stuff and just can't grasp how they're taking mouthfuls of it without gagging.

I used to drink a lot of shots including absinth (the weak off the shelf poo poo) when I was younger and I swear those were easier to drink than the whiskey I had.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Different whiskys taste different, some taste like antiseptic road tar and others taste like butterscotch. It's what you like I guess.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Also a lot of the first whisky that people try is a loving poo poo blended one because it's cheap. There'd be more people who drink whisky were it not for having tried Bell's to see if they liked it and drawing conclusions based on that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OwlFancier posted:

Unrelated but while the cold is shite it does make nice mornings.

Convex posted:

urge to listen to KLF intensifying

For some reason I immediately thought you meant this, but I suppose you actually meant this

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

For some reason I immediately thought you meant this, but I suppose you actually meant this

The second :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

As a N.I. resident i fervently wish for the day when Bushmills distillery is put to the torch. :barf:

I like Suntory Toki or Maker's Mark for preference but my budget drives me to Tesco own band vodka if i want a drink... Baileys has gone way up in price this year.

edit: cat: :yaycat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVzGYZLhvo

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Also a lot of the first whisky that people try is a loving poo poo blended one because it's cheap. There'd be more people who drink whisky were it not for having tried Bell's to see if they liked it and drawing conclusions based on that.

That was me; first whisky when i was 18, never drank it again till i was 50. :kiddo:

edit:

Both protestant owned. :D

:thejoke:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 1, 2022

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Big fan of peaty whiskies, most of them already mentioned (Lagavulin 16 being my favourite) but will also put in a good word for Oban 14, lightly peated but otherwise pretty smooth and rich and a bit of a salty tang from being a coastal distillery.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Both protestant owned. :D
Jameson's was set up by a Scottish Presbyterian failson who hated the Irish and invented a new kind of still head because he was convinced that his workers were stealing whiskey and replacing it with other fluids.

It worked pretty well though, even to this day most batches of Jameson's whiskey are less than 15% piss.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't drink.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dabir posted:

I don't drink.
Same.

When still i did though i tried whiskey one time. I liked it so much i over indulged, woke up to a 24 hour long hangover and ever since then jusr the smell of it makes me feel ill.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

Kraken and Coke, can't beat it.

I was told once that folk can have very different reactions to whiskeys based on the blend or whatever.

I'm not sure how true that is but I tried a whiskey once and just one sip of it was enough to put me off it.

I see other folk in real life and TV necking the stuff and just can't grasp how they're taking mouthfuls of it without gagging.

I used to drink a lot of shots including absinth (the weak off the shelf poo poo) when I was younger and I swear those were easier to drink than the whiskey I had.

Yeah, the thing is that whisky types really vary wildly. Some of them are extremely smooth and go down like water, some of them taste like someone has emptied an ashtray in your gob & everything in between. Where it's made, if peat is used in the malting process, etc, it's like wine in that way where a wine head will tell you there's a big difference between a wine from Burgundy & a wine from Napa Valley or from Chile. Terroir is I think the right word, at least for wines, the environmental conditions. And then there's the barrels: Scottish whisky has to be stored in a cask that was already used by something else, usually bourbon or sherry. Where as other whiskey from around the world can be stored in new barrels. And then there's how long you char the inside (Jack Daniels barrels are charred for 40 some seconds, the only cooperage left in Speyside chars them for 15 seconds. And whether it's American or European oak trees also makes a difference to the taste & colour. Although plenty of whiskies will add a caramel colouring to give the drink the "expected" colour. And that's without getting into blends.

None of this is important info really, if you don't like it you don't like it. I've never acquired the taste for beer, I can drink it if someone puts it in front of me but I'm never going to buy a pint of any sort of beer if there's even the most boring Strongbow style cider on available instead. Some craft beer bore could go on for days about how magical it is but my tastebuds are my tastebuds. But the point is that yes, there are really big differences between different bottles. Or even from cask to cask.

At this point in my life whisky & cider are about all I drink. I think part of what I like about peaty whisky is that regardless of how much I like it it isn't something I want to overindulge in. Partly just because 35 notes on a bottle still feels a sizeable amount, where as £25 somehow doesn't. So I want to savour it. Where as if I spend less on something that I'm going to have with a mixer, be it vodka or cheaper bourbon, I'm probably going to have too much & there's too high a chance that when I get properly steaming I'll get messy & emotional & it's a bad time.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 1, 2022

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Jameson's was set up by a Scottish Presbyterian failson who hated the Irish and invented a new kind of still head because he was convinced that his workers were stealing whiskey and replacing it with other fluids.

It worked pretty well though, even to this day most batches of Jameson's whiskey are less than 15% piss.

Fun fact (RIP Twisto): Guglielmo Marconi was his great grandson.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 1, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Time for Lebkuchen and Carols from King's.

I am an atheist and I cannot abide nonreligious carols.

there is one good carol and it’s Peter Warlock’s Bethlehem Down

the rest of them can get to gently caress

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love a peaty whisky. If it smells like a fireplace I'm all for it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

That was me; first whisky when i was 18, never drank it again till i was 50. :kiddo:

Still don't know what it was, but on my 18th someone bought me a couple of double whisk(e)ys and to this day it was the worst hangover I've had in my life. Haven't touched the stuff since.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

there is one good carol

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

anCnoc was a firm favourite whiskey back when I did drinking. I grew up not many miles from the knockdhu distillery

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a very light drinker now, pretty much down to a single whisky over ice that I can take my time with or a half of lager if I'm actually thirsty. I like the taste, but I hate being drunk now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched Jay Forman's new YouTube video on the Tube Map, and at one point it's revealed that the guy playing Harry Beck is actually Jago Hazzard doing a cameo, and all I could think is that Twisto should have been in there as a premier obscure London facts content creator too. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEhvWXmLyk

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
The problem with whisk(e)y is that whatever it tastes of (if anything) is usually covered up by the fact that it mostly tastes of burning.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My dog is of british descent and I worry for the dogs of the UK, are the Dogs ok in the frozen remains of England?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As my teetotalness of the past 17 years is because of bad reaction to alcohol (allergic reaction - tachycardia, feeling the blood thumping round my body for hours afterwards etc) not 'clean living' or religion, I was happy to discover last year that I can actually cope with the special Christmas cream with baileys in it. Brandy or cointreau cream however sets me off badly so need to avoid completely.
I have the same thing with caffeine. I miss coffee so much.

My housemate used to make a mix of half baileys, half single cream in a small glass, and that was pretty nice. Unfortunately I've also developed lactose intolerance, so I have to get lactose-free cream or milk now. Very nice though. Good as a base for hot chocolate, you just have to be very careful heating it up.

The Perfect Element posted:

I think we should have a twisto memorial plaque in the op, to commemorate our greatest ever poster.
Absolutely seconded, with a link to whatever that site was that archived his effortposts.

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah, maximise just enjoying the things you like and not minding if people who know more tease you about it.
Oh you've been letting the soft animal of your body love what it loves? I've been walking on my knees for a hundred miles through the desert, but your thing's cool too I guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like southern comfort & cherry pepsi max, I know that makes me a trash human made of dogshit, but to me, whisky/whiskeyposters are almost as bad as hot sauce guys. It's awful. It all tastes awful, you've just convinced yourselves that it doesn't and now you're used to how awful it tastes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hot sauce guys as in people obsessed with Scoville numbers or as in Tom of Finland leather men squirting ketchup at one another?

AtomikKrab posted:

My dog is of british descent and I worry for the dogs of the UK, are the Dogs ok in the frozen remains of England?
As long as they're nowhere near Ian Austin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Tom of Finland leather men squirting ketchup at one another?

Horny is forbidden

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The OP posted:

In Other News
• The snap NI election is postponed without a date

Anyone know what happened here exactly?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I like southern comfort & cherry pepsi max, I know that makes me a trash human made of dogshit, but to me, whisky/whiskeyposters are almost as bad as hot sauce guys. It's awful. It all tastes awful, you've just convinced yourselves that it doesn't and now you're used to how awful it tastes.

JD and Irn Bru

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Anyone know what happened here exactly?
NI Secy said no, basically.

No new snap election until "until there’s a new Brexit breakthrough with the EU" *clown brass band sound*

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Whiskey is a chemical weapon specifically engineered to make me projectile vomit for a minimum of 12 hours after consumption. It's all bad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Amazing that folk in NI put up with all this Brit meddling. They should kick off imho.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually I think you'll find it's the fault of the EU, Sinn Féin, the Irish Republic of Southern Ireland, the SNP, and Jeremies in general and Jeremy Corbyn in specific for not doing what the Tories want all the time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really enjoy seeing people who don’t understand acquired tastes talk rubbish about things I like, it makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

StarkingBarfish posted:

Fun fact (RIP Twisto).

Well poo poo, I'd missed that news.