Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm mainly surprised that the Manchester Evening News apparently reaches an audience of 18 million people.

It's one of the Reach stable. It's all over facebook, I know I've seen it a few times (and I'm assuming these 'audience' figures include social media).
The other Reach publications I see often are Liverpool Echo (ALL the time - fills up my timeline for some reason!) so I'm surprised that's not up there in the top 20. Also Wales Online I see quite a lot on FB.

They quite often share stories.

Hurrah - top of the page: been waiting for an excuse to post this.
Love this hamster advert. I started turning it into a ringtone to add to my line manager's number but I got sidetracked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlXCzH2NLs

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As someone who worked for a mental health charity for 5 years, the wellbeing industry is a huge loving grift. Like those packs are a nice little thing for a charity to send out as an extra to people getting other support but charging someone 10 quid for the pleasure of getting them is like that slamming a sticking plaster on a bursting water tank meme

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1630577059172061187?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Commendably open-minded of him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When you only ever join anti-intellectual groups in the spirit of education and curiosity.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chow for Now would be a great name for a food delivery app

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good news kids, one week off the TV licence for the coronation, the BBC going to end poverty

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Something people might not know about, because I didn't until EDF sent an email out of the blue, is that if you're not on gas you may be eligible for another £200 Alternative Fuel Payment, which has been on the boil since last year but since been kicked down the road until this month:

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/alternative-fuels

From my experience with two households on gas, one on pure electric in a non-gas area, and one solid fuel in a gas-available area, the suppliers seem to be simply using a list of houses with no access to gas (provided through BEIS because our mess of a privatised utility system makes this sort of thing a nightmare, surprise). In our case this means a house on 100% electric has received an AFP (ta very much even if we're not technically eligible), but the one on solid fuel with no gas meter hasn't received anything. Waiting to see if this actually turns up or if we'll need to apply through the as-yet-missing government portal. None of our suppliers have said anything about this (EON or EDF) directly, dunno if others are being more proactive.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the AFP even existing, except as some sort of sop for people not on gas/electric and so the energy price cap/guarantee doesn't apply to them. I suppose this is the only possible way to deal with it all, rather then something crazy like regulating all fuels at source using our mighty Sovereign Powers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think Jaeluni mentioned getting that? Someone did ITT, hopefully they see it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think Jaeluni mentioned getting that? Someone did ITT, hopefully they see it.

Yes I got it a couple of weeks ago, could have knocked me down with a feather. It just appeared on my Octopus account a couple of Fridays ago (I give readings almost every Friday). And I know one of my neighbours (the only other one under state pension age) also got it because she's away abroad for a while & she texted me to ask why her account was suddenly £265 in credit instead of £65.

Not sure about the others who are all in their 80s & 90s who got different kind of payments - I think they all got £600 at the start of all this - I know we had several donations to our charity from elderly people who said they'd received it but didn't need it.

I thought it was just for people living in mobile homes but apparently anyone who doesn't have mains gas - ergo not using mains gas to heat (at least in Wales anyway) seems to be getting it.
Not sure how they 'know' if you have an electricity supply with one company and gas supply with another? I guess they know if a building is connected to mains gas or not. VVV may be using this list Lemurtron mentions.

Lemurtron posted:

Something people might not know about, because I didn't until EDF sent an email out of the blue, is that if you're not on gas you may be eligible for another £200 Alternative Fuel Payment, which has been on the boil since last year but since been kicked down the road until this month:

From my experience with two households on gas, one on pure electric in a non-gas area, and one solid fuel in a gas-available area, the suppliers seem to be simply using a list of houses with no access to gas (provided through BEIS because our mess of a privatised utility system makes this sort of thing a nightmare, surprise). In our case this means a house on 100% electric has received an AFP (ta very much even if we're not technically eligible), but the one on solid fuel with no gas meter hasn't received anything. Waiting to see if this actually turns up or if we'll need to apply through the as-yet-missing government portal. None of our suppliers have said anything about this (EON or EDF) directly, dunno if others are being more proactive.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the AFP even existing, except as some sort of sop for people not on gas/electric and so the energy price cap/guarantee doesn't apply to them. I suppose this is the only possible way to deal with it all, rather then something crazy like regulating all fuels at source using our mighty Sovereign Powers.

I didn't get any notification from Octopus, it just turned up!
I have some idea you have to ask for the AFP for the LPG / wood / coal / oil but I'm not sure about that.
Another one they've just added is for those in say care homes who may not pay for their fuel directly (ie as part of rent) to be able to get it. Don't know if that also means there'll be a way for those who live in other rented accommodation whose landlords pay the fuel bills to get it too?

PS just looked on gov.uk and apparently solid fuel etc applications will open in March.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 28, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/beauvoirbaddie/status/1630189924497408001?s=19

We need to bully these people. Don't be wandering into the middle of a poo poo show and ask people if they've tried paying £13.50 for £3 worth of tat.

Aye and naw. Of course these things arent meant for actual mental health issues but isn't that the point? Charging silly prices for terrible care packages and calling it mental health in the middle of a mental health crisis that's seeing people leave working in mental health care in droves?

It just hits all the buttons, petty cash grab, shite product and a condescending approach that leaves you hollow and feeling like you're fighting a battle nobody understands or particularly cares about beyond making sure it doesn't come into their line of sight.

Yeah fair enough. I can see why someone might get one for someone feeling glum - sometimes a nice box of stuff to have a chill with helps people cheer up a bit. Some people some times anyway, not gonna work for everyone. But I do take your point and I can see how it might come off a bit callous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*sets up a community defibrillator box and when you pull the tab on it a thousand leaflets saying "did you know a 20 minute walk every day can prevent heart problems before they start?" fall out and it wires a grand to my bank account*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

matt hancock instinctively handing you a contract after reading that

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/broxtowelabour/status/1630607834458079255?s=19

Labour forcing another Tony Blair institute ghoul on a safe seat with no party democracy.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fact that the labour party machine is so undemocratic just makes me more frustrated that corbyn didn’t do anything with it, he’s was already getting slammed in the press it wouldn’t have made things worse!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Those Mental Aid boxes reminds me of the "Mental Health Awareness" effort my office put in last year.

It was basically: Have you tried talking to the people in your gang? Yes the ones that will rip the piss the moment you show a bit of weakness. Yes even Steve the guy who called the last person to commit suicide a 'complete loving nutter'. No I'm sure they'll be more understanding this time. What? Oh yes last year was a record number of suicides why do you ask?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I end up sitting next to the mental health board in the cafeteria which includes "breathing exercises for stress" instructions printed off the NHS scotland website, and an advertisement for slimming world.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I end up sitting next to the mental health board in the cafeteria which includes "breathing exercises for stress" instructions printed off the NHS scotland website, and an advertisement for slimming world.

Feel life isn't worth living? Probably a bit fat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know what does wonders for my mental health is going to a meeting with a bunch of judgy fuckers and telling them how much of a big fat pig I was this week.

Like even if you're looking for weight loss, slimming world seems like an absolutely dire way to do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have a friend who did really well with it, but yeah it does seem a lot like AA, some people find life altering support they wouldn't get anywhere but there, other people find a weirdo sect based on arbitrary rules made by an old doctor who got religion when he kept loving up with drink and decided that everyone else should get that religion too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I know what does wonders for my mental health is going to a meeting with a bunch of judgy fuckers and telling them how much of a big fat pig I was this week.

Like even if you're looking for weight loss, slimming world seems like an absolutely dire way to do it.

Having frequented a number of slimming clubs in my life (though not Slimming World itself), they don't actually do that! It's much more supportive because everyone is in the same boat.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

The only diet I don't immediately reject (other than maybe the DNP slim-and/or-die scheme) is the potato diet. Sounds p good actually

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Having frequented a number of slimming clubs in my life (though not Slimming World itself), they don't actually do that! It's much more supportive because everyone is in the same boat.

Hmm my girlfriend did it once and she definitely did not feel very supported. I get that nominally they're supposed to be but I feel like in practice it is susceptible to schoolyard bullshit.

Not to mention the actual method not necessarily being a good fit and them seemingly being very resistant to altering it to suit the person (because then it's not a fad diet any more)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm my girlfriend did it once and she definitely did not feel very supported. I get that nominally they're supposed to be but I feel like in practice it is susceptible to schoolyard bullshit.

Not to mention the actual method not necessarily being a good fit and them seemingly being very resistant to altering it to suit the person (because then it's not a fad diet any more)

The ones I went to (as I said Slimming World is one I didn't do) all had a variety of diet plans depending on your preferences and you could change them every couple of weeks if you wanted to. Sounds like your girlfriend had bad luck at her one. They don't suit everyone.

Mind you, my biggest problem is keeping it off after I've lost it! So in that sense you could say diets don't work but I think that's more my inner naughty teenager "no, shan't" coming into play.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slimming world I think is a specific method and branded meal plans that the "consultant" is selling, so yeah it seems more on the weird cult side of things.

There was a minor argy bargy some years back when asda brought out a range of "slimming world compatible" meals without officially licensing the brand and I got sent in at very short notice to make sure every trace of advertising for them was removed and destroyed. Presumably because if you can just buy them off the shelf you don't need to go to the cult meeting.

I've been almost exactly 18st since I was a teenager so that's just the weight I am. Gives me great legs but not the best knees in the world.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

the fact that the labour party machine is so undemocratic just makes me more frustrated that corbyn didn’t do anything with it, he’s was already getting slammed in the press it wouldn’t have made things worse!

He played sparing match rules in a death match environment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

He played sparing match rules in a death match environment.

Also it took him a while to get even a bare NEC majority. The party machinery was opposed to him but supports Keith.

Like, he never did have the power to be Jam Stalin even if he wanted to.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 28, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I have a friend who did really well with it, but yeah it does seem a lot like AA, some people find life altering support they wouldn't get anywhere but there, other people find a weirdo sect based on arbitrary rules made by an old doctor who got religion when he kept loving up with drink and decided that everyone else should get that religion too.

Which doc was that?
I know how John Yudkin's work from the 60s was rubbished (sugar as driver of heart disease) while Keys work (saturated fat is to blame) was worshipped? Was it either of those?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There is an excellent podcast series called "Maintenance Phase."

It goes into a lot of deep dives at the science behind fad diets, health food crazes and the medical industry as a whole.

Spoiler warning, most of it all is based around junk science, racist theories or just a desire to make money off people.

It's very good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

There is an excellent podcast series called "Maintenance Phase."

It goes into a lot of deep dives at the science behind fad diets, health food crazes and the medical industry as a whole.

Spoiler warning, most of it all is based around junk science, racist theories or just a desire to make money off people.

It's very good.

How to get rich: start a new religion or start a new diet (as in devise one not as in do one).
Found the podcasts, bookmark for later.
I see 'Scarsdale' mentioned. My dad lost loads of weight on that one in the 70s. But then mum started substituting beef burgers when it said steak and it all went downhill from there.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 28, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which doc was that?
I know how John Yudkin's work from the 60s was rubbished (sugar as driver of heart disease) while Keys work (saturated fat is to blame) was worshipped? Was it either of those?
Dr. Bob Smith was the one behind AA, who formulated the 12 step program as a way of turning his own alcoholism into the AA rules.

I'm not sure if there was a specific physician behind Slimming World, it's just that the overall style and way of getting others onboard reminded me a lot of his way of doing those group program type things. Some people say they're the only way, others say they failed badly and it looks far more like someone projecting their own issues onto a group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are a lot of diets which basically amount to some method of making you eat less without telling you directly to just eat less, either by making the eating process itself very unpleasant, making you eat things that have little nutritional value, gamifying the eating process, or relying on social stigma to get you to do whatever it takes not to fall behind your weight loss targets, likely set by someone who claims to be an authority on the subject, or a combination of all of the above.

But they generally don't advertise themselves like that, they usually claim some magical trick that allows you to eat whatever you want and still lose weight, so that you don't just try eating less and succeed, thus invalidating their product, or because you've previously tried eating less and found it difficult, because all diets are fighting against the tide of pressure from the rest of society to consume as much as possible and also things that are very fattening.

If you're lucky, the method will not give you food poisoning or destroy your organs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 1, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Have you considered the no-carb all-bacon diet? :thunkher:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

big fan of the espresso, cigarettes and cocaine diet. watch the weight fall off

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
sounds a bit bloody european

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Dr. Bob Smith was the one behind AA, who formulated the 12 step program as a way of turning his own alcoholism into the AA rules.

I'm not sure if there was a specific physician behind Slimming World, it's just that the overall style and way of getting others onboard reminded me a lot of his way of doing those group program type things. Some people say they're the only way, others say they failed badly and it looks far more like someone projecting their own issues onto a group.

Oh right - I thought you were talking about slimming doctors.

I have seen some weird slimming things similar to AA which brought some sort of American christianity thing into it. (Dad spent his life desperate to lose weight and tried everything going. Didn't help having a tiny wife. Anyway, my entire family has eating disorders from obesity, bulimia, to anorexia, some new thing called ARFID (sorry I'm old I call it 'normal young kid behaviour refusing to try new foods' :corsair: I only ever wanted to eat the desserts when I was a kid.), and other related things).

The reason I wouldn't try Slimming World is it advocates 'free food' or any programme advocating 'intuitive eating' I guess they don't get just exactly how much some of us can eat if set free! If I did any sort of 'intuitive eating', I'd be floating over London protecting it from forin artillery.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjTWvl8x-U

The only diet plan for me.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Viz classic. It's not loving rocket science.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Sip of Twinings Boost, I'm a mess
Desperately clutching onto a body positivity scrunchie
Sold to me to replace the NHS

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tomberforce posted:

Viz classic. It's not loving rocket science.

Now do dig up the success rates from the relevant literature.

Rocket science is much easier than weight loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Now do dig up the success rates from the relevant literature.

Rocket science is much easier than weight loss.

Oh I know! Wasn't making a serious point - just referencing the comic!