Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If you like peaty whisky and haven't tried it before I can recommend Longrow if you can find some. If you don't like peaty whisky I can recommend Glenallachie. You could rarely get a hold of Glenallachie a few years ago but there's quite a lot of it around nowadays. Good whisky.

Grabbed this a couple days ago, it does have strong pineapple aromas and flavours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How does everyone just know what peat tastes like?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Stuff usually tastes like what it smells of. Except soap. Even lovely fruity/spicy soap that smells like oranges or whatever tastes like soap. I've been fooled by that one too many times*.

Also it doesn't just taste *like* peat - they get the peat taste into the whiskey by literally drying (/toasting??) the malted barley over a peat fire, for various amounts of time depending on how peaty they want it.

*Once, when I was a kid and my brother told me to eat some strawberry Body Shop soap which smelled delicious. I only nibbled a tiny bit off the corner but yeah it was not good. Tasted like soap.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't slut shame him.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I used to love fancy whiskey, but at some point in my 30s it just stopped being nice. Now i buy buffalo trace bourbon and honestly for the price I can't find better.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but when I mentioned to a friend that I didn't like gin, she suggested it was because I'd never tried a quality gin. So I purchased a small bottle of Thunderflower. She was right, and I've since purchased another 5 20cl bottles over the past couple of months

It is truly the nectar of the gods

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I think the problem I have with alcohol is no matter how fancy it is, after the first drink, the cheap stuff tastes just as good as the ludicrously expensive stuff. I mostly have given it up now anyway as it turns me into a belligerent sod and I and I don't want to argue with my partner.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My mate is a successful gin brewer (?) so I refuse to accept there's any skill or nuance involved and you just always drink it with tonic anyway so whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they prefer to be called infusers rather than brewers.

Brewers prefer that gin makers, meth cooks, etc. are called something else too.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they used to make it by chucking whatever was to hand in it, turpentine or sawdust or whatever. how hard can it be

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gin brewer (?)

Ginster

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My mate is a successful gin brewer (?) so I refuse to accept there's any skill or nuance involved and you just always drink it with tonic anyway so whatever.

Or campari and sweet vermouth.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Mother's ruin used to be made in bath-tubs, which seems about right, given what the stuff tastes like

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ooh, do blue cheese next, I bet you think only wankers like that too

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Ooh, do blue cheese next, I bet you think only wankers like that too

My favourite cheese is mild cheddar. I only take cheese for my cheese on toast. With white medium hovis.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My favourite cheese is mild cheddar. I only take cheese for my cheese on toast. With white medium hovis.

Blue cheese on toast is loving nice to be fair.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Actually I think you'll find it's the fault of the EU, Sinn Féin, the Irish Republic of Southern Ireland, the SNP, and Jeremies in general and Jeremy Corbyn in specific for not doing what the Tories want all the time.

From my limited understanding of the situation. Is the whole thing basically a desperate attempt from a unionist party to hold onto power using technical loopholes because they actually lost the last popular election won by nationalists?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

fuctifino posted:

I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but when I mentioned to a friend that I didn't like gin, she suggested it was because I'd never tried a quality gin. So I purchased a small bottle of Thunderflower. She was right, and I've since purchased another 5 20cl bottles over the past couple of months

It is truly the nectar of the gods

:hfive: I used to be a gin hater too but had a similar experience. Good gin is insanely loving good.

My partner and I love whiskey and have had some pretty expensive ones now and then and I do think the price cutoff for dimishing returns on how good it is really is waaaay lower than a lot of people expect. Like one of my favorite whiskies ever is Mellow Corn and that's like under $20 for 750ml.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

$?

Wtf?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I love blue cheese but i went off it for years after i got into popping it on burgers in the bbq. I got some that had big mould tubers through it and left the burgerson a bit long. The cheese sloughed off the burgers and left the thick tubers attached to the burgers standing veritically like some nurgle-esque crown of horrors.

Put me right off it did.

Blue cheese sauce on buffalo wings though... Thats the poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh posted:

I love blue cheese but i went off it for years after i got into popping it on burgers in the bbq. I got some that had big mould tubers through it and left the burgerson a bit long. The cheese sloughed off the burgers and left the thick tubers attached to the burgers standing veritically like some nurgle-esque crown of horrors.

Put me right off it did.

Blue cheese sauce on buffalo wings though... Thats the poo poo.

I can't even parse what's happened here.

But no thanks. Mild cheddar or babybel for me thx

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1598393086832697344
https://twitter.com/bheardmedia/status/1597513583134638081

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i suppose he speaks from experience having recently broken the law and paid the fine. But I guess at last his law breaking was for a good cause.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I feel like a lot of people don't know that gin is essentially a kind of flavoured vodka. I didn't for years. Felt like a bit of a con when I found out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PollingReportUK/status/1598258687449223170
https://twitter.com/PollingReportUK/status/1598341922669707266

WhatEvil posted:

I feel like a lot of people don't know that gin is essentially a kind of flavoured vodka. I didn't for years. Felt like a bit of a con when I found out.

Yeah, I felt a bit cheated when I found that out, but the infusing of flavours is an art, and that's what differentiates a good gin and a bad gin. But yeah, it uses base vodka alcohol.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

all booze is flavoured vodka when you think about it

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

WhatEvil posted:

I'd heard tell that they're all whisky startups but you can't sell whisky as whisky until seven years after distilling it (ok maybe there was that one ardbeg did after five years where they sold it as Children's peat flavour petrol beverage but apart from that). So in the meantime, gin is a great way to get some steady revenue out of the fifty teslas worth of copper you just had spun into a kettle the size of a caravan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

all booze is flavoured vodka when you think about it

Water is just alcohol free vodka.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Water is just alcohol free vodka.

There is no need to play to stereotypes, Suoma

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1598335186940227584

Jesus loving christ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My great aunt was a microbiologist and she refuses to eat blue cheese. I follow her example.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I mean, what can you even say?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It gives you gutache but it tastes good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We really are a miserable island that deserves to fall beneath the brine.

There's so much to digest in this video that I can't even really start. The misunderstanding, the entitlement, the economic illiteracy. Just horrible people.

When the revolution comes they will be made comfortable against their will and forced to boil piss until their passing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

We really are a miserable island that deserves to fall beneath the brine.

There's so much to digest in this video that I can't even really start. The misunderstanding, the entitlement, the economic illiteracy. Just horrible people.

When the revolution comes they will be made comfortable against their will and forced to boil piss until their passing.

When it comes right down to it, there is one cause of this: The gutter press.

These people aren't like, inherently horrible, but when you get fed a constant stream of "things are falling apart around you and it's the refugees/scroungers faults" then this is what you become.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had to turn off that video after a minute or so. How can people be so blind to reality?....

In other news, by election result is in https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1598495333725753346

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ive been mulling for a while if I could post that vox pops like this are fake as gently caress no matter the left or right.
They only choose the ones that agree with the makers point.
You have 4-5 gammons here, completely gammon mad and brain worms. Guaranteed click bait winner.
How many others were interviewed and poo poo on the conservatives or said they would vote labour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is true, though the concern, of course, is that there are still a large chunk of people who still love the tories, and the deranged ways they justify it echo things I imagine most of us have encountered IRL.

The country does have a lot of spectacularly stupid and unpleasant people.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm a hermit, but I interact with enough people in my community to know that the type of thinking displayed in the video is far more common than you think. It's a direct result of people being pumped full of a lifetime of propaganda, and this type of thinking is burned into their brain. Hardly any of them can articulate their thoughts other than the programmed soundbites and their hatred of whatever bogeyman they've been programmed to hate.

"...those who don't want to work..."
"... those who have never worked...."
".... the lazy...."
".... the immigrants...."
".... government should help the people who really matter...."

etc etc

My mum is one such person, although she keeps the majority of her more extreme thoughts in her head. I've not seen her in the flesh since 2019, and I've made various attempts at mending the bridges since - but her head is completely hosed after a lifetime of reading the Daily Telegraph. We have massive ideological differences to the point where she supports everything the Tories are doing, despite having a disabled son who's campaigned on disability issues for 16+ years. She's aware of everything the Tories have done with regards to disability. She knows about the deaths, the people starving to death in their own homes. She even knew everything about Boris, and even corrected some of the words he used against black people. She knew it all, but none of that swayed her from voting Tory again in 2019.

She's also against me using cannabis, despite me also being a campaigner, and despite all the evidence. One time I tried mending the bridge in 2020, I laid all the cards on the table and asked her what it was that she was against. She said that it was because it was illegal, and didn't want me to get in trouble with the police. Turns out she lied then too, as she said she was still against it a couple of months ago, despite me having a literal loving prescription. When I asked her to explain, she started coming up with "Children could take it and it could be dangerous" (I have no kids, nor interact with any)... then "And people could drive on it" (I don't drive). That's when I hung up on her, and haven't spoken to her since.

Sorry for the TL;DR... but really, these people exist everywhere, and I genuinely think that they are too far gone. People like us in this thread are in a shrinking minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My whole family is like that to a greater or lesser degree, and they can only serve as something to strive not to be.