Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I used to drink a lot of peated whisky I got to a stage where I really could taste other stuff in it. Earl Grey tea, vanilla, caramel, etc. - I felt like a posh person. Laphroaig was a bit much, Laphroaig Quarter Cask you could smell across the room though.

My favourite was Caol Isla and I bought a bottle of 15 year old cask strength when I was in Edinburgh for my wedding in October as a kind of wedding present to myself. It is gorgeous.

I can't really be bothered with un-peated whisky, it just seems flat and dull now.

cat botherer posted:

but I'm not just like one note MAX PEAT/MAX BITTERNESS anymore.

But they're so different. Laphroaig is nothing like Lagavulin is nothing like Caol Isla is nothing like Talisker is nothing like Bowmore. Surely there's way more difference between any of them than there is between a Macallan and a Balvenie.

Oh and if any of you are into whisky, I can't recommend the touring whisky festival enough. As much as you can drink, it always ends up really good value for money.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Time for Lebkuchen and Carols from King's.

I am an atheist and I cannot abide nonreligious carols.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah, maximise just enjoying the things you like and not minding if people who know more tease you about it.

Which is why I love a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream to drink in a hot bath.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My favourite whisky, however, is Drambuie.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Leggsy posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63821836

Ian Blackford has stepped down as SNP leader at Westminster.

There was already talk of a coup at the AGM prior to this. Could lead to some "fun" within the SNP depending on who replaces him.

But who'll now call for whoever is this week's prime minister to resign at every available opportunity?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm sure there was a song about this in The Book of Mormon.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Also a lot of the first whisky that people try is a loving poo poo blended one because it's cheap. There'd be more people who drink whisky were it not for having tried Bell's to see if they liked it and drawing conclusions based on that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My mate is a successful gin brewer (?) so I refuse to accept there's any skill or nuance involved and you just always drink it with tonic anyway so whatever.

Or campari and sweet vermouth.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I took a shirt to get some alterations done by someone local. I commented that her prices were good and she could get away with charging more.

"Yeah but if I charge more I'd have to pay more tax, and I don't want my money going to people on benefits".

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Reminds me of a saying whose origin I don't know: "Imagine the thickest person you know. Most people are thicker than that."

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That phrasing does make more sense, but I prefer my version.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Unkempt posted:

I only bother to torrent stuff when it isn't on one of the many putlockers that are easily googlable.

Fun fact, I used to build the servers for Putlocker more than a decade ago, when I worked for their DC provider. They were the dodgiest business I'd ever come across, paying something like $800,000/month via paypal, on a month-to-month contract. One day FACT arranged a meeting with my employer and I was instructed to lie and say I knew nothing about Putlocker.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

As a comparative latecomer to this thread, why is he called Keith?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

smellmycheese posted:

The duck is capitalism.

Or Keith is the duck and the Keith in blue is the Tories

This is my favourite explanation and the one I'm going to remember.

Though I did think Chegwin initially.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Electric in any form and a wok seems awful to me. Aren't they going to complain when you pick the wok up to toss the contents?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Looked her up on wikipedia, came across this:

quote:

In December 2021, a wealth manager of Indian heritage accused Mone of sending racist text messages to him after the two were involved in a 2019 yachting incident in Monaco, which resulted in the death of a person. He said that Mone called him "a waste of a man's white skin" via text.[64]

Couldn't have happened to a lovelier person.

quote:

A spokesperson for Mone said she was not racist because "Baroness Mone and her husband have built over 15 schools in Africa in the past three years";

Smooth.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Moonchat I would have liked to have seen this earlier today

https://twitter.com/kielder_obs/status/1600526550469853185

But the 'main event' was around 4:45am and there is no way I would be up at that time.

Fucks sake, I was awake at that time, it was really clear, and I would have taken the dog out early if I'd known. My torch wasn't working but I ended up not needing it, the moon was so bright.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Isn't "getting carried away" one of the things you want to hear least about a chancellor of the exchequer? Like if you heard that a surgeon had been "freestyling it".

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

You guys are so worried about the implications of this law, there's one easy solution - under-fund the police that they never bother doing anything about it.

Also they're too busy arresting people for the crime of being in London and black.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Found what must have been frozen rabbit piss this morning, up the hill where I walk my dog.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the dog immediately tried to roll around in it.

No, he's only interested in fox poo poo for that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can I just check does anyone else here dislike the tories?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's this one weird trick involving tealights and plant pots that Big Heating doesn't want you to know...

This is my first winter in a detached house as opposed to a maisonette and I didn't realise how cold it would be downstairs regardless of what the heating is set to.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

I remember when the snowmen would come in your yard to collect the snow in a proper metal bin.

I thought he burst in through your bedroom window, kidnapped you without adequate clothing and dragged you through the freezing sky to your death.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's so incredibly shortsighted an approach. It's like if I sat back for one project at work I imagine I'd get away with it, folks might excuse it or think of it as varying performance - but in doing so I spend a bit of goodwill. Make a habit of it and folks won't continue to excuse it, they'll just think I'm poo poo at my job. As is happening with so many things now, due to government/organisations thinking they can cut corners and keep getting away with it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Barry Foster posted:

I tried to get NHS help five or so years back but kept running into brick walls and no way could I afford to go private so I just kinda gave up

This sounds like efficiency savings in action. It's like a very effective filter - make it so loving difficult to get any help that only the truly desperate have the will to persist through the layers of loving bullshit.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have enough stuff running in my study that I don't have the radiator turned on. The bill is consequently high.

I put bread dough on top of my quarter rack to proof.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

How else are you supposed to put masses of poors behind bars?

I might get kicked out of the secret tories club for this, but here's the long term plan:

1. Liz Truss enonomics.
2. Inflation to the moon.
3. Cost of living crisis, no one can affort anything.
4. Massive increase in debt.
You know this much. Here's the genius next step:
5. Criminalise debt.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Going to my office on Tuesday for the first time in more than a year. Being fully remote I don't even know if there's going to be a christmas party. There are monthly drinks after work in the office, but I've never been.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Microplastics posted:

What, and no book? What are they supposed to do, have a wank?

Sit in the dark and think of better times.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Git chor luverly rat-onna-stick here just five pahnd a porshun" - Purveyor of fine meats: CMOT Jae

Today I was in a village that's up its own arse and has loads of footballers living there and I saw what the rest of the north would call a "butty shop" but here it called itself "purveyor of bespoke sandwiches". CUNTS.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It wasn't open. It was 8:30.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I saw him in Morrisons once.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's a loving film for god's sake. That's like telling me not to watch Geordie Shore because it relies on housing a load of loving idiots together, plying them with alcohol, and waiting for them to embarrass themselves. I'm still going to watch it.

Well not for the last few series, but believe me I watched plenty.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kegluneq posted:

Origins not coincidentally had the best world design in my view, in that it actually felt like you were in an ancient working economy and not a novelty tinytown version of Greece or England.

Yes.

Most interesting variety in landscapes, best verticality of enemy zones, best climbing. Least loving water.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think that not wanting to include a difficulty slider in hard games is such a tory thing to do.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There are loads of popes.
The RC church is not the only one to have popes. Various Orthodox traditions also have popes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_popes_and_patriarchs

Which, if any, poo poo in the woods though?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If there were religious leaders like that, maybe I'd be a believer.

Also, my dog is called Bear and he definitely shits in the woods. In the bushes, where no one walks, so I don't have to pick it up. Good boy.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's on the same level as walking back to your parked car, finding a big dent in it, and a note under your wiper that says "sorry I hit your car, I'm just writing this because people are watching, bye".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

I will never watch a YouTube short. I have that poo poo blocked.

My friend, this Chrome extension converts them all to regular videos.