Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OwlFancier posted:

Unrelated but while the cold is shite it does make nice mornings.

Convex posted:

urge to listen to KLF intensifying

For some reason I immediately thought you meant this, but I suppose you actually meant this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Cats are solitary creatures

It's more complex than that, and really depends on the individual. They're not pack animals but cats can and do form social bonds, and some stray cats live in groups, usually a small number of cooperating females.

It's hard to say how that extends to bonds with their humans, but studies have suggested that they see people as a source of comfort and security and do form bonds with us.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Maxi Jazz died.
gently caress

2022 coming in with one last kick in the bollocks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Miniatures Painting thread in TG is extremely chill and supportive for anyone painting tiny men btw

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

Kids should start on Pong and go from there :colbert:

I literally did this, we had a Pong-clone console from before I was born.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

oh we talking music in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5oHL3zBDg

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mugsbaloney posted:

Recently read and enjoyed Providence by Alan Moore which had a cool ending where he had a unique take on the proliferation of Lovecraft in culture - is he a chaos magician?

I can't get over how Moore's works always include one weirdly rapey scene

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

imagine honestly trying to deny that the majority of people in this country are poo poo cunts in the UK thread.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lot of people in this thread maybe should read the War In Ukraine thread as well.

Maybe post their "the Ukrainians are all nazis and we should let Russia invade them" takes in there too.

because they'll get probated and/or banned

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Very Putin-esque attitude to dissent OP. But thanks for the reminder how unreadable the rest of D&D is these days

Bold way to say you're too cowardly to make your case somewhere where people actually know what they're talking about.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ro5s posted:

I love to debate and discuss with people who’ve said they’ll cry to teacher when they see incorrect thought

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Turning "If you argue in here, you'll get banned" to "See, I knew you were to scared to argue" is a weird move. Why would forkboy84 feel at all inclined to post in that thread when you just said if they did, they'd get banned?

I'm saying that the hot takes about the Evil Ukrainians being Nazis who deserve a little imperialism for their own good are just fuckin dogshit but that also the best place for them is a thread all about that topic where they might catch a probe for it yeah. forkboy84 is free to prove me wrong tho.

Darth Walrus posted:

It is also quite well-documented that they are using these arms, training, and publicity to develop and support far-right domestic terrorist movements around the world, which are guaranteed to attack folks like me and the people I care about.

Got a source for this?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I just feel rotten for the people caught in between, be they Ukrainians who have lost their homes, their families and God knows what else or the Russians forcibly conscripted, or having to flee to neighbouring nations to avoid conscription.

drat if only we could give those poor people weapons to help fight the imperialist invasion.

Just too bad they're all nazis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I do miss going into the office because it makes me move around a lot more and I think my back and hips are getting worse just from sitting too much.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

It's OK, you can walk around at home too.

I can but I'm fuckin lazy, being forced to walk around a lot helps.

(This is not an argument for forcing everyone to return to the office btw)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

I used to go to a butcher's that did haggis and black pudding pies, incredible stuff.

Deeny's do Haggis Toasties and they're great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I've found the Ancillary Justice trilogy to be a fair substitute, but it's lacking the background utopia you get from Banks.

A Memory Called Empire and its sequel A Desolation Called Peace are also good, though they're closer to the Ancillary books than the Culture. The central theme of the books is Imperialism, both cultural and literal, and the things a smaller power has to do to avoid being conquered or just subsumed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've got a laundry list of things that I'd do with stupid Euromillions style money. Starting or funding a Rewilding project for a start.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I thought that was heroin?

In this economy?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I remember hams getting up in arms when some authors decided that some tech-priests preferred to be non-binary (since they shared more characteristics with a room sized computer than a human at that point).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

You're right, I should salute an empty gesture.

People complain about people who's conception of activism is posting. Rightfully so, posting will never change the world on its own. I just don't see this as much different as a post. It's Kony 2012 politics, which was rightly mocked, without the guy having a breakdown & walking down a road nude (so far)

But you're right, I wouldn't be celebrating if this was done with the Russian tricolour outside the Ukrainian Embassy. Because then it'd be an empty gesture in favour of the aggressor.

actually it's good, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do they still make that kings and Queens of England ruler, and is it longer now?

If you need to remember them all, just use this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGwj6XbtlPA