Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I got given a monthly whiskey tasting subscription as a birthday gift last year and as a result I have switched from spending all my disposable income on videogames to whiskey instead 👍🏻

I’m now one of those people who will try to press a dram of my new favourite on anyone who walks in my front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gambrinus posted:

CVs and that then.
I can only speak for computer touching but LinkedIn is definitely still a thing — maybe I’m an outlier but I was kind of pleasantly surprised at how easy it made applying for jobs, getting interviews, etc. (Actually got my current job after the CEO reached out to me on there.)

If you’re specifically looking for flexibility you could also have a look on places like https://peoplefirstjobs.com or https://4dayweek.io but there’s obviously going to be a smaller subset of positions going on there.

General CV stuff — are you after like a template or general advice? To be honest unless you’re after some big finance job for pricks I don’t think anybody really cares about formatting as long as it’s clear and readable (and if you put everything on LinkedIn you might not even need one at all).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

they should just make the crimes illegal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Oh hey it turns out if you call DPD and tell them that if they let your shipment of dead rats defrost then they’ll get a box of maggots I’ll refuse to sign for then they magically can deliver it within 24 hours after all.

Someone must have googled the company name on the box and gone “oh poo poo this box really is full of dead rats”
uh, what line of business are you in? :stare:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Am I so out of touch? No, it’s the postal workers, rail workers, nurses, university staff, and teachers who are wrong.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was out at a very nice cider bar last night and I found this book:

What I want to know is, which UKMT poster created it?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

At least a third of the regulars in here voted Libdem in 2010.
fool me once

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Whatever happened to that guy?
I think he started a relationship with a rich heiress so I assume he’s now Duke of something or other

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I send any long interesting articles to my “read later” list as it’s a really convenient way for me to ignore them from all my devices

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Idly wondering if new kebab shops and chicken huts are opening up outside ER departments for the captive market of waiting paramedics and patients

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Going down south to visit my folks for Christmas and asking if they need me to pick up any bottled water on the way because we all live in a very prosperous and not failed stated

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Runcible Cat posted:

Cough.

Though I don't bother to save it; I just like sloooowly and satisfyingly getting the tape off without damaging the paper.
I like wrapping presents so they’re hermetically sealed and there’s no un-taped gap by which to enter 👹

E: the really amusing part is I imagine that woman probably carefully directs how other people around her open their presents so she can reuse that paper too, which must be an absolute delight for the family at Christmas

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Runcible Cat posted:

You are my Destined Enemy. Aroint ye, fiend!
There was a couple of years where we had some kind of foil/plastic backed paper that was basically impossible to tear as well, some people had to resort to scissors or knives to get into my gifts 🎅🏻

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apparently Glinner is back on Twitter 🤮

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blunt posted:

As we're doing covid chat, reminder that if you haven't had a fourth booster yet you can go to any walk-in centre, say "i spend a lot of time with/live with someone vulnerable and was told to get a booster" and they will jab you no further questions asked
Has there been any info on future boosters yet? Do we even know if they’re going to keep producing / distributing them in future years?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This isn't related to anything at all but I thought the thread might enjoy this morsel from a pathetic man:

quote:

Horne recalls David Baddiel, who haplessly failed at many of the tasks, leaning forward during a break in recording and whispering to Davies: “You know, I am really clever.”
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...but-not-bonkers

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I already regret mentioning the cursed man's name :(

On a different note, I found a box full of old videogame manuals in my parents' attic (mostly PC and NES)— is there a specific collector's site or anything I should use to give them to somebody who'll value them? Somebody on the Discord already mentioned checking if they're on the internet archive which I'll do first.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Could be, boxes of games from the 80s can go for a lock of quid each. Instruction manuals are rarer so may be worth a few quid. Havent a clue where to start though sorry.
Oh I phrased that poorly, oops. I want to give them away rather than stick them in the recycling, but I'd rather give them to somebody who really wants them instead of a generic charity shop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm exhausted just from being in the same house as two kids for a day, parents must be loving mental.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rarity posted:

And you'd better all come and share your favourite games in the GOTY thread I swear to god :argh:
You didn’t link it so I don’t know where it is but the answer is Tunic :swoon:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m hungover from drinking yesterday and at home alone because my partner is working so for the first time in my adult life I’m going to bed early on New Year’s Eve :toot:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's not really a PowerPoint if it doesn't include an embedded video presented using the standard format:

"right, let's see if this works"
*click*

*click*

*alt-tab to cluttered desktop*
*opens video from file browser*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hot tip, you should use an animated transition on every slide

The transition is Fade set to 0.1 seconds, all others are forbidden

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Littering isn't an issue you can just solve with more bins.

Go to any carpark with a McDonald's drive through nearby. You only have to wait maybe 10 minutes before you see someone dump their eaten order out their window because stepping out of the parked car and taking the 10 steps to the bin is just too much to ask.
The Maccies near me has big open-mouthed bins with a little target inside (like an inverted urinal) so people can lob their rubbish straight out of the car window. Obviously lots of people still aren’t bothered (or just miss) but it’s a good effort nonetheless

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Isn't the best (actually possible) outcome of the next election that the conservatives crash and burn, but labour is short of a majority so they're forced into a coalition with the SNP/Greens.

Hahaha who am I kidding, they'll just declare it a resounding victory and sit in minority for as long as possible while fixing nothing and making a sad face.
I honestly can’t think of any plausible outcome for the next election that isn’t a complete horrorshow. Tory majority, obviously bad. Anything from hung parliament to Labour majority will be played as a massive vindication of Starmer. (Actual real-world outcomes will be much the same in either case.) A Lib Dem surge would just be repeating past mistakes, and I don’t think a big swing to other parties is realistic.

Best I can imagine is a historically low turnout that, I dunno, generates a couple of Guardian bobblehead columns wondering why people aren’t enthused by Starmer’s incredible revitalised Labour? :smith:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1612029092664152065?s=20

Laura K doing her job? Odd to see but I thought this exchange was pretty onpoint.
This is fine, I will pass it on and make my landlord feel valued by writing him a note to say how smart and attractive he is instead of paying rent

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The real answer is big beat. Propellerheads and Fluke were putting out albums in the 90s that were at least a decade ahead of their time.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

imposter and so’s my wife

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Christ I’m glad I work at a company small enough that my targets are basically just a general to-do list that three of us agreed on and wrote down as a reference

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gives me a lot more time for my own problems caused by deciding I need to refactor half the application six months in :waycool:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

To save time, everything is illegal except for:

Working
Shopping
Talking About Strictly
Eating Out to Help Out
Voting Tory ☑️

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

prime minister who has not won an election and would lose if he called one, must intervene to prevent passing of legislation unpopular with public.
lol the idea of having an elected prime minister is positively quaint

Microplastics posted:

Much like the NHS ads that implore people to walk around ten minutes a day, it's very much a case of "we know it's not enough but if we tell them to do the actually correct amount they won't do anything at all"
no fucker has time to get the recommended amount of sleep, exercise, and cook & eat the recommended amount of veg unless one of those things is your job

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

Well yesterday wasn’t great for the Met. I’m sure today will be better…

This is a different bad apple from yesterday’s, right? Seems weird but my confidence in the rest of the bunch remains at an all-time high.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

lol doing worse than the country currently in a war and heavily sanctioned by the west puts it into perspective
only the uk is doing this badly, and also only the uk has a jeremy corbyn. coincidence???

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Remember that if your ISP is one of BT, EE, Sky, Talk Talk, or Virgin Media (or Plusnet, apparently), they’re subject to blocking orders and will restrict access to whatever the UK government thinks is naughty (see here)

(Note that this is separate from last May’s Internet Service Sanctions which affects all ISPs)

E: If you’re stuck with a restrictive ISP and want a VPN Mullvad is great, you can sign up with absolutely zero personal information and they’re independently audited.

E2: And as usual ISP Review’s top 10 is a good guide of quality (the star rating list, not subscriber count!)

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 3, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I did a food shop earlier and they're now selling a huge loving 1kg sack of mini eggs; leaving it on the shelf to prevent myself horfing the lot in a single afternoon took an incredible amount of willpower and to be honest I'd like people to tell me how responsible and adult I am because I kind of regret it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have a real problem with them and won't be buying any this year.

My parents used to get me and my brother 100 creme eggs each at easter. Last year when I was dieting over the summer I found myself budgeting my calories so I could eat at least 3 a day and stay in a deficit. I considered whether I should try and put myself off them by having a day in which I'd only take in calories from creme eggs and I figured I could probably east about 15 or so. I didn't go ahead with the plan because I knew it would not put me off them.
One time when I was a teenager at a friend's house somebody brought up a person they'd seen on TV who could fit three creme eggs in their mouth at once. I blurted out "that doesn't seem so hard", after which my friend's father immediately fetched three creme eggs, handed them to me and said "off you go then".

I learnt an important lesson about talking poo poo that day as chocolatey drool ran down my chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I don't think Chat GPT has read this thread.
I would very much like to know what GPT thinks are some good examples of British slang that leaves our American friends scratching their heads, please