Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really enjoy seeing people who don’t understand acquired tastes talk rubbish about things I like, it makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ooh, do blue cheese next, I bet you think only wankers like that too

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

the average punter is loving thick

One thing I really hate is whenever you say this, you are always greeted with a load of well-meaning people who say that they’re not stupid or bad people, they are just misinformed and you shouldn’t look down on them.

No, some people are just loving horrible and stupid and they hate everyone who doesn’t look or think like them because they are nasty. It’s OK to admit that, and not try to court that part of the electorate.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kin posted:

I was planning on giving my kid a sort of hyper accelerated intro to computer games to try and teach him the appreciation of the evolution of them (if he cares about them instead of shite like sports and football and books).

I had my first Atari at 5 and I think I turned out OK.

I have all these old games on the switch (including classic controllers) , so was planning on giving him access to the NES for 6 months, then the mega drive, SNES etc until he made his way up to the PS5.

Stuff like Roblox though, and other social norms that kids play are gonna get in the way aren't they?

He's gonna get the piss taken out of him at School for not being allowed to play any of that modern poo poo until he's 8 or something is he?

Plus, he's gonna be so bombarded by ads for modern poo poo that he'll probably hate playing super mario bros.

Don’t do this, just let them play what they want. If your kid wants to play old games, better to get them into it with stuff they can enjoy now and relate to their friends with, and THEN move backward, rather than forcing them to start at the beginning.

There’s a reason that we start children reading with modern fun books they can enjoy, and that children’s movies start off now with Pixar and stuff that everyone can share, and then you introduce the classics…

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I quite enjoy playing video games, and this entire difficulty/accessibility conversation just makes me want to scream “NEEEEEERDS!”

Games are supposed to be fun, if people aren’t having fun because they’re too difficult, they should be able to make them easier. It in no way impacts your personal experience if other people can make the game easier, unless you are so insecure that you can’t bear the idea of other people “achieving” things more easily than you did.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 31, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sebzilla posted:

Happy New Year, death to all Tories and victory to the Unions in 2023

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The problem with all of the voting true to your beliefs is that it only works if everyone else does the same. I live in a Tory majority seat, they don’t just win because the left splits the vote, they win because more than 50% of the people who vote around here are complete pieces of poo poo.

With the tories historically unpopular, it’s really difficult to know who to vote for, because we’re at “anyone but them”, but I’m 90% sure these bastards won’t ever vote Labour or Green, the seat either goes Lib Dem or Tory.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

“I haven’t worked on anything good for a few years, it must be cancel culture” says one-trick-pony

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jel Shaker posted:

literally no eggs at tesco today

Everyone should get chickens. I have so many eggs, I love it.

And they’re cool and have personalities and are slowing turning me into a vegetarian

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something I've never understood - do chickens just make eggs anyway regardless or does a male chicken have to be hanging around?
(I passed O-level biology by managing to write my 5 essays using just spirogyra & amoebas) because biology was the most boring compulsory subject ever at school.

Like most animals, they produce eggs regardless of whether there is a male around to fertilise them. Different breeds have different frequencies: we have a warren who is just a machine, she lays an egg a day. The other two are freeloading at the moment, but should start laying again soon.

Jel Shaker posted:

would love some bantams but until someone invents a cattery for hens (henry?) we’d never be able to go on holiday again

Those do exist. Probably not during avian flu season, but I have a friend who uses one occasionally when they can’t get neighbours to help.

However, we have automated doors on our run and coop that open in the morning when it’s light, and we pay someone to pop round on the afternoon to put the girls away and check they have enough food and water.

Do it! Get chickens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EmptyVessel posted:

Two minute hate figure of the moment: Michelle Donelan for her utterly ignorant and shite opinions on the Parthenon marbles (they are not a "part of our (British) culture" you vapid twat)

The best thing about that was when she said “it’ll open up a can of worms and there might be nothing left in our museums”

Soooooooo close to getting it