Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure it's not great but baileys just tastes like chemicals, that at least tasted like food.

Unrelated but while the cold is shite it does make nice mornings.

urge to listen to KLF intensifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

For some reason I immediately thought you meant this, but I suppose you actually meant this

The second :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rustybear posted:

vox pops are anything but and i wouldnt pay them any mind

they film 40+ and then hand select 3-4 to fit the editoral line, that's all it is

Monty Python knew vox pops were full of poo poo back in 1969

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yeah but why vote kinda fash when you can vote total fash?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

escapegoat posted:

I read somewhere that conservatives tend to be kind, generous people to those they personally know but have zero compassion for those they don't. Stories in this thread would seem to confirm that.

It's people that believe they know and understand everything in the universe based entirely on what they have personally seen and experienced so far in life. They don't want to admit they're wrong or bad people when confronted with difficult situations, so just make new exceptions as and when they are needed to excuse treating unknowns completely differently to actual people they have met

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Victoria 3 designer on why communism is OP: 'We just implemented the mechanics the way we understood them'

quote:

In the month since the release of Paradox Interactive's latest grand strategy game, Victoria 3 (opens in new tab), some players have struggled with one persistent issue: The communists are right. As entrenched conservative interests in their 19th-century nations prevent modernizing reforms—you know, like abolishing slavery—players start to rail against landowners, exploitative capitalists, and the Petit Bourgeoisie in rants that could have come from Marxists a century ago or today.

"I hate landowners," wrote (opens in new tab) one player just after release. "I hate these inbred, backass backwards, slave owning, tax stealing, progress blocking, head in the sand, law hating, stupid hat wearing, anachronistic assholes, I hate Landowners." 

It's exactly what Mao Zedong himself might've said, except for the swearing, probably. (I am not a historian.) Those rants are happening because in Victoria 3, powerful interest groups can block laws from being passed, and powerful landowners and industrialists will block reforms that could lead to their power, control, and profit being decreased. They love regressive taxation schemes, for example, and ideas like only allowing wealthy people to vote. 

Players are also finding that a properly implemented communist economy can lead them to become not just a dominant world power, but one in which the average standard of living for the lower and middle classes is as high, or higher, than that of the upper strata in other nations.

woke video games :argh:

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 3, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
We have always been at war with Putin. Anyone not agreeing with the government is a traitor

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:hmmyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

They'll prise my 56 different copies of Fight Club under different names from my cold, dead hard drive platter.

They'll never find Flight Bulb!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Lol whenever I'm talking to a colleague about a TV show I'm watching they're always like "what service is that on?" and it's starting to feel like a trick question

Direct anyone that asks this to https://www.justwatch.com/uk, it'll show you what service any given show/movie is on in the UK

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ah, the Bari Weiss "they were totally going to fire me" approach

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am glad you don't have a brain tumour Mebh and I hope they can at least do something to help with the symptoms if not fix the cause.

Wow, same.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Round bottom woks they make the woking world go round

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

good lord

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Tories have stopped caring. Happily knifing each other.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1600085339107909632

this is jemergy crumblings fault

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Is there some german word that describes this, similar to schadenfreude but more about the "no please go ahead, here's another shovel to help with the digging" aspect

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

good username / post combo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

Well poo poo. Just got told that a medicine I need to take twice daily is ‘out of stock nationwide’ due to ‘supply issues’. I have about three days supply left.

This going to loving suck

loving hell, are you ok?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/KateMaltby/status/1600504107558703105

lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't know, first it's too hot (in August) and now it's too cold. The weather wants to make its mind up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Also the government trying to ban health professionals from striking is just :discourse:

I hear it worked great with teachers in Canada!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
look the nazi suit just comes with the job, we all have to wear them

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Let's recap what we know so far:

1. James Dyson campaigns for Britain to leave the European Union
2. [???]
3. UK competitiveness crumbles into dust

:thunk:

Well I'm stumped James. Who knows mate

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The best game ever is Blood by Monolith Productions. It came out in 1997 and is best described as an unofficial evil dead duke nukem game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

lol I was just thinking of that tweet. That and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nvckip7qxk

reminds me of Dick Jones explaining how he had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I'm picturing this like the 'burglars carry off a newsreader during a news broadcast' sketch from Monty Python

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

What's the maximum sentencing for committing fraud on an entire nation?

Usually a column a week and they get paid upfront

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

blunt posted:

He's having quite the midlife crisis

It's like that Black Mirror episode where the PM fucks a pig, except it's Matt Hancock loving his own face

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's the penises gerald! some of them might have penises! and they could be in the ladies!!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted about the PASS (Citizen) card for voter ID on my fb last night. One of my tory-voting friends commented that she knew nothing about it (requirement for voter ID) and the comment was basically along the lines that I was making it up :) God I hope the tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Tories are more likely to have a driving licence or passport in general though? It'll be an inconvenience but I can't see an election turning due to this, the measure is intentionally one designed to trip up people without the means to afford valid ID

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'll be glad to stand somewhat corrected in that case, but can't help feeling a bit nihilistic regarding the next election.

edit: thinking about it this is because, regardless of Conservative or Labour victory, the tories still win

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Victor Lewis-Smith, writer and broadcaster, dies at 65

quote:

Lewis-Smith’s final television production, Hitler’s Jazz Band, is due be broadcast by Sky Arts on Wednesday. It tells the story of Karl Schweidler, the frontman of a swing band created by the Nazis despite their ban on jazz.

:rip:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f0816e812eee97d

quote:

In an unrelated development – or perhaps not unrelated; Rishi Sunak is clearly hoping that Labour will vote against his proposed new asylum law next year, and that it will function as a wedge issue, with Keir Starmer on one side and a majority of voters on the other – the polling company Savanta has published the results of an MPR poll suggesting that Labour is on course for a 314-seat majority. Yes, that is right; not 314 seats, but a majority of 314.

Sunak the wedgehog

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I really miss Bow every day :( It's coming up to the 6 month anniversary of his crossing.

We had an amazing relationship. When I went to the cat shelter to look for a cat, I was looking for a middle aged or elderly cat. A quiet cat. A cat that was suitable for a cripple with CFS to live with. However Bow had other ideas. He was a 7 month old kitten, took one look at me, and screamed "I'LL HAVE THAT HUMAN. THAT ONE!" while eating mouthfuls of food and doing figures of eight around my legs while chewing. I didn't get a say in the matter.

I had him for 13 amazing years, and he was such a unique and amazing cat.

This is a pic of him balancing on top of the main scent bush used by the cat that controlled the North part of the estate (the Northern Siamese King), and doing a poo poo down the middle of it while giggling insanely. He started a major war that night. <3

:rip: catte

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

B) Lets face it, you can't do any worse than me.

ahem

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Seriously tho how is he still alive? He's like 90 and spent half the 70s wrecked on the same tranquillizers he used to nonce. loving die you old oval office I want to watch Chinatown.

edit: jokes aside, it's the money

Convex fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

And it’s great to be able to drop the phrase ‘I started with the support of a coterie of internet communists’ when being interviewed by the BBC. Lol.

:five:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
it's just bants innit

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

What about Lib Dems? :thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

her: not when it comes up three times! there's only supposed to be one in the pack and it doesn't even look like that!