Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How does everyone just know what peat tastes like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My mate is a successful gin brewer (?) so I refuse to accept there's any skill or nuance involved and you just always drink it with tonic anyway so whatever.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Ooh, do blue cheese next, I bet you think only wankers like that too

My favourite cheese is mild cheddar. I only take cheese for my cheese on toast. With white medium hovis.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

$?

Wtf?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh posted:

I love blue cheese but i went off it for years after i got into popping it on burgers in the bbq. I got some that had big mould tubers through it and left the burgerson a bit long. The cheese sloughed off the burgers and left the thick tubers attached to the burgers standing veritically like some nurgle-esque crown of horrors.

Put me right off it did.

Blue cheese sauce on buffalo wings though... Thats the poo poo.

I can't even parse what's happened here.

But no thanks. Mild cheddar or babybel for me thx

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i suppose he speaks from experience having recently broken the law and paid the fine. But I guess at last his law breaking was for a good cause.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Bolded part rings particularly true in my experience, yeah.

lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Boris is probably the third most significant prime minister of my lifetime.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed over the last 6 years, so forgive me for asking, but as a foreigner who only half remembers this story from 2016, and who has no experience with the british rail system, my naive assumption is that all the seats with tags but no people are reserved in some way for people further down the line? or i guess maybe they require a higher-class ticket? it would be a blow to the assumptions i live my life by if an empty seat with a bright red tag over it is open to anyone to just take a seat

They normally say on them what portion of the journey they are reserved for and you can sit on them for any of the rest of it. I guess that's sort of the point. Tbh I'd sit on them regardless and move if I need to later rather than sit on the floor but I probably don't have a political point to make.

Albinator posted:

I mentioned this at the end of the last thread, but that obviously non-local-accent-having person may have been living there for decades. Once you've been there that long, having it as the first question you get when you meet someone new is tedious. I do recommend finding something better.

Dunno why you consider yourself so special that you don't have to put up with tedious questions and people all the time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This is funny though.

that article posted:

“There might not be much in it between Rishi and Starmer, but then voters look over their shoulders at who heads a rabble of mad bastards.”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Please, we need to stay United. There's a world cup to win. Strikes is just what we want.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is the shortage of eggs an act of brinkmanship to answer that age old question?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

DPD are probably dead because of this

Dunno I've usually found DPD to be one of the better delivery companies and with the renamed remains of Hermes still floating around there's still someone bound to be swimming slower than them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or maybe they just delivered it like they said they would?

You're complaining that they did what you paid them for?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

She's the UK spokesperson for big corn snake.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

all the children in the village have written to santa, care of the wealth management company that has offices in the former chapel, and i guess they'll get a gift back or maybe their parents will be assessed by how extravagant their childs request was i dunno

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or the only people that end up paying inheritance tax are the people that currently don't, whilst anyone rich passes it on through other means.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Watching the Harry and Megan doc

lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I can not see Mars like all the time

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think it was Singapore, maybe?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Didn't Dyson also try to invent some super cheap ventilator during covid? He was tweeting about it I think. Moron. You don't actually have to invent the thing and convince anyone it works, just get in the VIP lane.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bessantj posted:

Everybody wants to know your personal details these days. I bought two short shovels at Tool Station and they wanted to know my name and address in case I wanted to "return the spades." That's why I have the receipt. All I need is some company sending me advertisements for shovels.

Toolstation and Screwfix aren't really like normal shops. Very online and accounty. You can almost feel them squirm with discomfort if you try and buy something without having an account.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've got a Toolstation trade account that gets you a month credit and 5% off everything. Just needed to send them a piece of company name headed paper.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

At trade merchants the level of discount is variable. It probably won’t help for just the odd use here and there but if you have a big project you are doing then you can negotiate and sometimes get a better rate than some small traders. Essentially just say “I’m doing a big refurbishment and am going to spend xx thousands, I’d like to get everything in once place so what rate can you give me to do it here rather than at Travis Perkins/Jewson/Wherever?”

Source: A few years doing market research for a plumbing/builders merchant and quite a few tradespeople complained they looked like idiots or liars about costs when their customers managed to go directly to a trade merchant and negotiate a bigger discount than they had themselves.

Builders merchants are a racket. Their quotes are always uncompetitive and their off the shelf prices a joke. But they're willing to take people's money. It's got to the point where I have to research the cheapest price online at like insulationwarehouse.com or whatever them just send that to the builders merchants and say delivery this for this price and they pretty much always do.

If you let the builder or subcontractor go themselves they'll just spend your money at whatever the gently caress price.

I used to have a good relationship and setup at buildbase but then they got bought by one of the other ones, just like jewsons and ridgeons did. My guy left and wasn't replaced and now getting a quote takes weeks rather than hours.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's definitely a fairy tale.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

london can go gently caress itself

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is all this Harry and Megan stuff a spin-off or a prequel to the crown? Haven't being paying attention

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They're not called the Uppertons ffs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I haven't actually read any Marx

new thread title i reckon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Theres probably threads on this website that we've posted in that, should the names be known in court, it would not look too clever so I can see why something like that might happen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Being part of a WhatsApp that bants about rape probably does speak to the mindset of the alleged rapist though. I don't really see the equivalence you're making there.

Maybe if WhatsApp had existed 20years ago in the age of ironic edgelords I wouldn't have objected to being in a pro-rape bants group, but now I would have a big fucken problem with that, and would have major suspicions about anyone who presented themselves that way

Any messages in the group should be evidence enough without the name of the group being stated if they were worried about creating prejustice in the jurors minds.

I remember arguing with someone about a previous rape and murder case where I thought dodgy Google searches on the suspects pc seemed pretty important bits of evidence of the guy being wrong as gently caress. But everyone explained to me I was wrong as it was just circumstantial and would prejustice the jury and the judge was right to exclude it.

Any spelling mistakes or stupid hot takes are because my fingers are loving freezing and I need the hot takes to survive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Vine is one of the dimmest, most credulous people in broadcast media, and that’s saying something.

I think he realised when introducing it that it was a wind up.

I'm convinced some of his stupidity is an act to allow him to do his job

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just checked my phone and it's claiming that it'll be -8 when I go out to work, which sure is a temperature. :stare:

be +20 with any other leader

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The front page of the scum and the BBC are misrepresenting to the point of lying about the RMT losing support. I don't know which survey they're looking at*, but the extent to which support is falling is that support for the strikers has fallen from the vast majority of the public to a slightly less vast majority of the public.

* Presumably a survey of one old australian billionaire.

It's ipsos Mori and the figures in support have fallen from 43% to 30%. You can look at their website for more in-depth numbers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I would advise all lurkers to get a second account before posting and keep it a big secret.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Crust First posted:

Not going to lie, this thread feels a bit more tight knit and honest than many other threads and posting in it feels a bit daunting.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would advise all lurkers to get a second account before posting and keep it a big secret.

Honest though? Are all the other threads, which I don't read, lying a bunch?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Esure are scum. I'm with them too

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

there arent actually any liberals dont worry

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Twitter dead

People here are perhaps more likely to be anti musk than elsewhere yet there's still like multiple tweets per page and I don't think I've ever seen a Mastodon or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

PMs here are actually completely private, it's a real issue cause whenever people are getting harrassed via PM there's nothing the admins can do cause they've got no way of checking

Private to just mods, or actually people that know what they're doing?