Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a basic bitch who likes bourbon or rum with sweet artificial flavours, like Red Stag or Tennessee Apple. Yes it's just JD with fake apple flavouring, but it tastes great with a bit of ice and that's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TACD posted:

I got given a monthly whiskey tasting subscription as a birthday gift last year and as a result I have switched from spending all my disposable income on videogames to whiskey instead 👍🏻

That sounds fun, I got a craft beer sub once and every one of them tasted of hops and car air fresheners. Whisky sounds more promising though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a very light drinker now, pretty much down to a single whisky over ice that I can take my time with or a half of lager if I'm actually thirsty. I like the taste, but I hate being drunk now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is no circumstance under which I will be up and about at 4:45AM, I will quite literally flop over and fall asleep where I stand if you attempt it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I actually hit her second phase on my first go with the mimic tear in tow, but Waterfowl Dance is just a wall that I couldn't get past solo. I've seen in footage that you can dodge through it, but I am damned if I can get the timing down on any single part of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, regular salt alone will just melt the snow into water, which will then freeze into pure ice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just checked my phone and it's claiming that it'll be -8 when I go out to work, which sure is a temperature. :stare:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Last year I did some quick calculations based on sales figures and how much he claimed to have raised for charity. I don't remember the exact figures, but in his first year he raised something like £85k, and by the same metric, going by claimed sales numbers, last year it would have been about £130k.

Which is nice, but seems questionably low for the top spot on the chart.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The snow traps in your heat and protects you from the wind, so it might be that as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Of course it's Rees-Mogg, anything that can be turned into an attack on WFH is invariably him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can group tabs as well, then minimise the group to save space. In Edge you can do vertical tabs as well, which is really handy when you can't see what the gently caress any of them are anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bookmarks are just for websites themselves, articles go in the reading list in Chrome, or Collections in Edge, which lets you split them into different categories so you can separate recipes from articles and so on and makes it easier to save a lot more stuff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

And vote no because it's the funniest option, obviously.

Really, why would you want this speed freak to stop posting 20 hours a day while running Tesla shares into the ground?

Because a lot of lovely right wingers have latched onto him as a defender of "free speech" on Twitter, especially transphobes, and him staying on is seen as a big vindication of their views.

WhatEvil posted:

Also you can use chrome's task manager to (Shift+Esc) to close the processes of all of your tabs, which frees up your memory, but the tabs are still "open", it's just that when you click on them you'll get a grey screen instead of seeing the page. You have to duplicate the tab and close the old (process ended) one for it to load gain. This can be useful as you can just then close the most memory-hungry tabs.

Or just use Edge, which automatically sleeps tabs for you and also doesn't hog all your memory during normal use.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 19, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

I had thought my work laptop was garbage just on how terribly it runs, but just checking the specs its got an 11th gen i5 and 16gb ram. It still dies regularly trying to calculate a spreadsheet or run teams, so maybe I'm just used to not using Windows and that is how it's supposed to be.

If you're connected to a corporate network then that might be the bottleneck, including for Excel if it uses Office 365 or the file is hosted online.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did terfs hear the phrase Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus (which is already bollocks) and think it was literal.

We are this close to terfs claiming that men and women are literal different species. "Men and women are as different from each other as ducks and humans", what the actual gently caress.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 22, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just totally don't get the obsession TERFs have with genitalia & how people pee. It's some sort of fetish.

A lot of people have been raised with the idea that men and women are totally fundamentally different to each other on a biological and psychological level and have built their entire personality around it, and in a lot of ways their entire culture (see: most sitcoms from yesteryear), and some people have responded to being told that this is absolute bollocks by going completely insane.

This seems like a good time to post this criminally under-viewed video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1oVv59o-UQ

It needs a couple of rewatches as it is fairly dense, but it is the absolute best refutation of the gender binary I've seen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mugsbaloney posted:

Anyone got the link posted upthread to the gender talk? Thought it would be in my library but it isn't, trying to do me a learno

If it was the one I posted, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1oVv59o-UQ

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah don't read that if you want to see the film first, but sure enough he's missed the point by quite a margin, and absolutely furious that the billionaire and his followers are depicted as absolute dipshit losers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a world of modern indie games that are a better introduction to retro games than actual retro games, just because game design has come so far since those days.

The best online game for kids is a closed Minecraft server with their friends.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My biggest recommendation for Souls newcomers is to do it with a friend or two. Both for general quickstart advice and summoning them in for help. Elden Ring even has a mod to let you both stay in multiplayer together permanently.

I have a friend who wanted to try DS3, so two of us gave him tips until he was past the opening section, then played with him as a trio for the entire game. We absolutely blew through the game and had a total blast, and although you're very open to invasions from other players when you're a trio, DS3 weights invasions heavily in favour of the invaded player so we got a bunch of cool fights and never felt in danger of losing progress.

Everyone asks for an easy mode in Souls games, but it already exists and it's called bringing your friends.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kin posted:

Tldr, it's not about gitting gud, but explaining that they're games about learning the patterns of the different little sections and trying to avoid getting hit while you make your way through them.

Basically if you don't assume that you can just out-mash the enemy, leave enough stamina to escape their range after attacking and take a few seconds to learn how a new enemy attacks then that's most of the learning curve dealt with immediately. The number of people who just run into attacks over and over for several hours then pick up the biggest sword possible so they can play it like an incredibly slow and annoying button masher is incredible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

DS2 just is very poo poo and deliberately cruel thoigh, in a way the others really aren't. Especially the Scholar version and its favourite trick, hiding enemies in nooks and crannies way above you so they can drop on you and take you by surprise. DS3 is still hard, but it's fair.

I totally see the point about enemy placement (I've only played Scholar) and it does require you to approach areas a lot more methodically than DS1, but I somehow also found it really manageable and satisfying to work through. Even the Shrine of Amana, infamously a massive slog, just felt like a really satisfying challenge. I guess I just found it really fun to properly clear out the areas, like it's not just items you're hunting through the nooks and crannies for, it's the enemies as well, so every area has a really meaty feel to it in a different way to the others.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

Is it signposted in any way that that's what it's supposed to teach you, or is it just smashing your genitals with a hammer until you realise you need to do that because it's too hard otherwise?

You respawn in a new area as soon as it kills you, same as the Vanguard Demon in the Demon Souls tutorial.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

No, the soldier of Godrick in the Cave of Knowledge

That's literally a regular enemy they gave a boss bar to, he's designed to give you a light combat encounter against someone who takes more than one or two hits to take down, you will immediately run into some a minute or two into the main overworld. I'm genuinely curious as to what significant issue you had with defeating him, all of his attacks are pretty well telegraphed and you have acres of room to run around him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

IN PUBLIC like the walrus gives a poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Judging by what you've written it sounds like she's gone all in on women being utterly subservient to men. So no sexual liberation, anyone who enables that is also bad, and anything perpetrated by a strongman archetype like Putin or Tate is fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1610768208994205696?t=pa2oWkxHbVtl8rczuQ6rjw&s=19

I am going to scream.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think you know already that the answer is that he pays the fine quietly and quickly while he has the chance. He's not going to get out of paying it, refusing to pay is only going to get him in more trouble, and giving a fake name has hosed him further.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My friends are just offscreen, also forcing a smile.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm in a "whatever the gently caress is going on with FFXIV's soundtrack" phase.

Also Sonic Frontiers had some bangers as usual.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone thinks that the private sector is better or more efficient for healthcare then force them to watch this video and demand to know exactly which part is preferable to the NHS even in its current state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpHszfnJns

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Measuring delivery metrics isn't hard and is perfectly useful for seeing if your employees are actually doing their job, it's just that the expected number of deliveries is way too tight. Getting rid of those metrics won't make anyone's jobs easier, they just need to employ more drivers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Avanti have absolutely hosed it, they literally don't have enough staff to run a functioning timetable after the staff decided they weren't going to work outrageous amounts of overtime anymore, so your only option is to buy a ticket whenever you can, hope that most of the trains actually run, then hope that something doesn't happen to make it even worse and more overcrowded. That's my experience of Avanti this past year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There are definitely apps or even a basic AutoHotKey program you can run that jiggle the mouse for you.

There are also a million pitch-perfect Rick and Morty impersonators out there, they're not particularly difficult voices to do, so I imagine they'll just replace their voices and have done with it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The sixth book has Dumbledore stating that the centaurs might align with Voldemort because the wizards had forced them to live in the woods outside of towns and cities and refused them access to magic on the basis that they're beasts (despite obviously being people). This is never brought up again or addressed.

If Rowling isn't explicitly in favour of slavery and caste systems then she certainly doesn't see them as anything more than an unfortunate side effect of letting some people live in immense privilege that doesn't need to be dealt with.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She needs to be upfront about being a shopkeeper's mannequin brought to life, we can all see the seams on the arms.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A few bad apples spoil the barrel.

It does not work the other way around with the remaining good apples.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Cash for old tapes

Oh they absolutely do.
Though a Demo is not a bootleg and the former are more likely to be worth money.
Some rare boots will be valuable but the very nature of cassette boots means that quality control is pretty patchy/non existant - the 4th generation copy of a copy of an audience recording will usually be pretty unlistenable imo.

If you have a good first generation copy from a bootlegger with serious kit, or better yet a mixing desk recording, that's a different story. Better quality tapes - Chrome, Metal also add possible value.
Discogs blocks boots from sale so no way to check possible price range easily. You'd need to connect with relevant band fandom. Much easier with the internet ofc. :)

I'm being mean, but all I can think of now is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2pljSVp0Uk

Archaeology chat was very interesting though!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gosh I wonder what could have driven those kids into the hands of criminals.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/28/child-migrants-racially-abused-home-office-hotel-brighton-criminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Counterpoint:

Why does he look exactly like the Joker in this picture.