Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

laphroig does taste a lot like suffering yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It tastes like eating out a bog mummy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mourning Due posted:

My wife's Welsh and turned me onto https://www.penderyn.wales/ , REALLY nice. Very light in colour, not peaty/smokey if that's your thing, just genuinely high quality whisky IMO.

I buy penderyn as presents, they did also once do a whisky cream called merlyn I think, which was surprisingly pleasant considering I can't stand baileys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Someone who heard I like Penderyn got me one of them

I had to pretend to like it :barf:

I'm sure it's not great but baileys just tastes like chemicals, that at least tasted like food.

Unrelated but while the cold is shite it does make nice mornings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The difference between "river-bottom water" and "bottom water" is important

again, not in england

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

and that goes into the river

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It gives you gutache but it tastes good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is true, though the concern, of course, is that there are still a large chunk of people who still love the tories, and the deranged ways they justify it echo things I imagine most of us have encountered IRL.

The country does have a lot of spectacularly stupid and unpleasant people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My whole family is like that to a greater or lesser degree, and they can only serve as something to strive not to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know better people, and I did have relatives who were better in some ways (grandmother was quite economically left but was also very racist, had she lived longer I think she would have ended up probably being more racist than left) but eh, they've always been like that. No use in hoping for something from them that you'll never get. The relationship can remain transactional and I can save care for those who deserve it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weirdly I never really picked up on the politics of the bulk of my family, to the extent I had any political leanings before signing up here it was probably based on my grandmother occasionally opining out of nowhere "the only good tory is a dead tory" and while the rest of my lot are pretty right wing they just sort of... get on with it rather than talking about it most of the time, or at least they don't talk to me about it probably because they know they won't get anywhere.

So while here has certainly helped put an edge on my views I had a better starting point than a lot of people.

If anything, though, I find the quiet toryism to be its own kind of deeply unpleasant, like they are so very secure with those ideas and I don't even know if they can imagine that they could be wrong about them. Everything is effortlessly folded into that worldview, things which show it to be nonsense are quietly forgotten, and things I think are deeply objectionable don't even register to them. I don't think they even realise that they hurt others around them or that a lot of the ways they interact with people are predicated on them having more money or power over them, and they confuse the deference of survival for esteem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scientastic posted:

One thing I really hate is whenever you say this, you are always greeted with a load of well-meaning people who say that they’re not stupid or bad people, they are just misinformed and you shouldn’t look down on them.

No, some people are just loving horrible and stupid and they hate everyone who doesn’t look or think like them because they are nasty. It’s OK to admit that, and not try to court that part of the electorate.

Also even if it isn't intrinsic you can still be circumstancially loving thick.

escapegoat posted:

I read somewhere that conservatives tend to be kind, generous people to those they personally know but have zero compassion for those they don't. Stories in this thread would seem to confirm that.

I would not describe the ones I know as kind and generous, i would describe them as controlling. This can take the form of giving things to people but it is done on their terms. And they are likely to expect something in return down the line. They won't do things that actually empower other people but they may occasionally do things to keep them alive if they think they might be useful later.

The sort of person who brings a pile of unsellable stuff to a charity shop and then gets huffy if you say "sorry we can't use any of that"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand I don't really like paradox grand strategy or their general development model of flogging you countless expansions. But on the other hand from what I've seen of vicky 3 it really does look like if you just implement a lot of the actual material pressures in a capitalist society, you end up at "communism imba plz fix" lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What does "trolled" mean in this context because, like, it basically means any sort of taking the piss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I went to uni with a guy who came in wearing a cowboy hat and a big trenchcoat, and also a lass who came in dressed like cloud from final fantasy 7. I thought both of them were cool.

pumpinglemma posted:

I refuse Nord on principle because they do so many obnoxious sponsored Youtube segments. No-one who spends that much on marketing is actually the best option.

I also follow the rule that if they're advertising it it's bad.

Everyone on youtube started flogging that stupid "buy land in scotland and call yourself a lord" scam and it's bizzare how many people apparently think it's real and also that it's still around because I remember it being a thing decades ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always find it difficult to credit the new thing corrupting the yoooths because whenever I work magazines, there is like an entire bay of MY HUSBAND SEX KILLED MY CHILD WITH AN AXE magazines for presumably old people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am glad you don't have a brain tumour Mebh and I hope they can at least do something to help with the symptoms if not fix the cause.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VPN license.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cost of sending a stupid tweet is so low as to mean it doesn't matter, you fill the channels with noise and maybe some of it hits, but the noise itself is worthwhile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kids these days and their degrees in gender and woke feelings, they need real jobs like "parliamentary sketchwriter"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is the logical end result of not really understanding any of the things they talk about and simply referring to everything they don't like via a collection of interchangeable snarl words.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unsure if markov chain post or burns poetry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He was a lot more coherent writing about his wife's arse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If someone is in hospital I think they are in a bad enough way already and do not deserve to be subjected to television.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interspersed with "worship the heroic police saving us all from the infinite horde of foreign devils looking to scam YOUR MONEY away"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I won't be able to see my family this christmas unless other people avoid seeing their family this christmas.

Honestly working retail makes me very inclined to murder anybody who gets all huffy about the magical christmas season being spoiled by other people failing to wait on me hand and foot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We already have SCBA you could just build a cool looking one of those rather than building a stupid thing to wear on your head that also doesn't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

The most hosed part, of course, is that it's possible to lead an election by a double-digit margin and not win it.

I mean that, arguably, is the point? They have 41% of the vote which is not an absolute majority, a representative electoral system should give them a large minority. If anything, producing majorities with minorities of the vote share is one of the things people complain about FPTP doing too much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When it stops reupping its paperwork, happened to medway, whole place vanished into a pit overnight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that were enforced it would put half the tory party in prison.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

there has never been a place (or city) called Medway.

the paperwork is very ontologically powerful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

what exactly does someone like a uni vice chancellor or a CEO actually do?

vices, that's why it's called that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's all I do pay attention to, no time for rich people or most media or the news. I don't know how people live otherwise, it's all fake and stupid and full of contemptible assholes that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Ties into the discussion about broadcast TV and poo poo. I don't get how people watch it without brains made of pudding, that godawful rich people stink is suffused throughout so much of society and I avoid it like the plague because it just makes my skin crawl.

But yeah there's apparently a big chunk of people who are obsessed with it, and I don't understand it at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That reminds me of something else that's been baffling me lately. It seems mad how much people gamble. If I'm in the queue at the kiosk in a supermarket more often than not there's someone in front of me just spending like, 15 quid or more on scratchcards and lottery tickets. And it's just crazy. Surely if you spend that much you must see that you keep losing it. I get that gambling addiction is a thing but that's a significant amount of money. loving garbage society that has people that desperate to get out of it that it has them spending money that would actually make a difference on a hopeless bid to get out of it.

Makes me think of all those scumbag labour MPs in bed with the gambling lobbyists. Not enough rope in the world to right the misery they bring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just nice that at least there are some other people out there who get it, really in short supply IRL for me so it's not fun just seeing all this poo poo and being surrounded by people who are at best blind to it, and at worst enthusiastic supporters of it. Had the unpleasant experience of having to spend time with family at a wake a few weeks ago and listen to them all get pissed and go on about how we need to bring boris back and you can't tax people it'll be just like the 1970s when everyone was on strike and by the way i don't believe in homeless people they all make a fortune you shouldn't give them money... and that combined with having to facilitate maximum xmas consumption season and the weather being shite has had me in a foul mood for weeks.

I really do wish there were something to be positive about. I'll go dig up the duck video I made the other day.

Rarity posted:

Just think of gambling and paying for the rush of being about to gain or lose something

But like, I've seen people not even seemingly experience that, like they'll just tell the cashier to scratch a bunch of them off for them, or my grandmother when she was alive on the fruit machines just shoveling money into it with a completely blank look. If there's feeling there I can't see it. I assume that's the addiction part but that's why it seems hosed up. And like, if you didn't spend the money you would have the money. That's the thing it's depriving people of the actual benefit of the money, you could buy yourself two lots of fish and chips for £15 and they would last longer, feed you, and surely be more enjoyable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 9, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Where's this?

I reflexively initially posted 3 but yeah... You can still get a fish and small chips for about £7.50 in some of the shops near me, though it's on the way up.

Here, duck, who can get bag of food the size of themselves for £1, the jammy gits.

https://i.imgur.com/o0fKnM8.mp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to think of browing moddb as being like a loot box except it's free and some of the things you find are extremely weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately a lot of that value is socially constructed, having rare items helps you stand out to other people in the game, so it is essentially commodifying clout.

Real fashion does this as well. I have an old charity shop sheepskin that is an extremely functional bit of clothing but it isn't fashionable (i mean it probably is in some circles) so its value as a fashion item is far lower than clothing with objectively less use value.

I guess online is a bit unique in that objects have literally no use value outside of the socially constructed value but we do already have things that have wildly different exchange value to their use value. It is perhaps more insidious that control of the social environment by the game company and pushing people there via marketing creates an environment where only their approved products can allow people to express individuality.

Gives the vague impression of inviting people to live in a prison and then selling them variations of the orange boilersuit. Foucault presumably would have Thoughts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother used to try that but she wasn't noticeably good at it, at least it didn't make her any money.

I dunno, I can only say I'm glad that gambling has always felt like putting money into the entropy machine to make entropy go up faster. House always wins, mathematically certain, life is a game where lots of people want you to give them your money and you win by avoiding doing that as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately the flag is probably worth more to the player than an actual rare item they might encounter someone else wearing.