Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Microplastics posted:

I'm going to celebrate with one of my current favourite cocktails, recipe below:

- Ribena
- Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Something people might not know about, because I didn't until EDF sent an email out of the blue, is that if you're not on gas you may be eligible for another £200 Alternative Fuel Payment, which has been on the boil since last year but since been kicked down the road until this month:

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/alternative-fuels

From my experience with two households on gas, one on pure electric in a non-gas area, and one solid fuel in a gas-available area, the suppliers seem to be simply using a list of houses with no access to gas (provided through BEIS because our mess of a privatised utility system makes this sort of thing a nightmare, surprise). In our case this means a house on 100% electric has received an AFP (ta very much even if we're not technically eligible), but the one on solid fuel with no gas meter hasn't received anything. Waiting to see if this actually turns up or if we'll need to apply through the as-yet-missing government portal. None of our suppliers have said anything about this (EON or EDF) directly, dunno if others are being more proactive.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the AFP even existing, except as some sort of sop for people not on gas/electric and so the energy price cap/guarantee doesn't apply to them. I suppose this is the only possible way to deal with it all, rather then something crazy like regulating all fuels at source using our mighty Sovereign Powers.